Wednesday 17 January 2024

Crossroads Quilt, Cross Stitching, Injury Update

 We got a ton of snow from that last windy snowstorm but by the time I was up in the morning, all was calm. Just lots of billowy drifts all over. Two Blue Jays are regular visitors at my feeders. I love Robert Bateman's Snowy Morning Blue Jay and our snow reminded me of it. It must be tricky painting snow.  

I got out a snow day activity, a jigsaw puzzle...this one is the 1000 piece Vintage American Seed Packets I've shown you before. Very interesting little pieces of art in each square. I've been thinking each little square would make a great cross stitch design. And I like how it is stirring thoughts of the garden just now in the dead of winter.
That made me think of Kaffe Fassett's Seed Packet quilt that Kate at the Last Lonely House made. She is stitching a sweet patchwork sewing kit in her latest video.

Ned is sticking closer to Tony these days as he's the one taking him for big walks. Ned is practicing his disappearing act here blending in with our brown furniture. 

A little slow stitching and Jour is almost completed...needs a little more snow. This photo shows how nice and flat and even evenweave fabric is. 
I've been testing a new quilt block pattern in the sewing room. This one is completely machine stitched and very easy. I purchased the pattern, Crossroads, from Treehouse Textiles last summer.  I think this could work as an RSC project too....linking with the So Scrappy Saturday Party. Scraping the bottom of the barrel to find greens here but I'm not purchasing any new fabric. 
The mystery package from the freezer revealed several salmon fillets that I immediately baked in the oven along with roasted smashed potatoes. I don't think freezing fish is good for it (for unknown lengths of time!) but this still tasted fine. It's the most Tony has eaten for awhile as it seems his appetite is fading. But he still loves his dessert, mind you. Thank you for sharing your mystery packages too!
Injury Update
 My injury or whatever it was is doing so well I'm very pleased and so relieved. Down to just a twinge now and then but it may be because I'm still babying myself. And I am still staying off the trails. Tony ran the ski doo over them yesterday late afternoon so they are passable now. I'm missing a great opportunity to try out the snow shoes but will wait a while. I've just been walking up and down the laneway for fresh air and hope to try out a trail tomorrow. Thank you for the concern and suggestions...so many good ideas to help healing!

We have to go to the library today and grocery store for eggs and bacon. I want to make a breakfast for supper meal with waffles tonight. Been a while since I did that. What's on your menu these days?
 I should mention three men died due to cardiac arrest shoveling snow during the latest weather incident. It is no joke that shovelling can be dangerous!
Hope you are keeping cool or keeping warm and well wherever you are in this wide world of ours!

27 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

shoveling snow can be very hard on people especially those in not so good condition. Our now is so light and fluffy I just push the shovel over the deck boards to shove it off the other end. We should have a big melt up today I think. Breakfast for supper sounds good! Glad you are starting to feel better and will be back to your walks soon

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Robert Bateman is one of my favourite artists so it was lovely to see one of his paintings.
That jigsaw puzzle looks like it will be a challenge but it will be a beauty when it's done.
Very glad to hear your 'owwie' is doing much better. Keep babying yourself for awhile longer so it doesn't re-do itself.
Stay warm!!

Susie H said...

Jour is looking lovely. The winter blue jay painting is gorgeous too. The only thing prettier than a blue jay in winter is a cardinal, in my opinion. Seems their red just get so very brilliant that time of year. Glad you're up & about and healing. Stay warm & safe.

Nancy J said...

Heart problems in cold weather, angina can happen with just a cold wind, far less those freezing conditions, add some real hard work and the outcome is not good.I did learn not to walk into a cold wind, and even walking into a colder room can trigger that chest pain. Hope your hip? is healing, rest is sometimes the best recipe.Lovely stitching.And a fire, the flames are warming and great company.

Libby in TN said...

Love your sweet blocks! Glad you are recovering. We had two days of snow and woke to sub-zero temps this morning. But the sun is out and the ice has melted from the tree branches so there is hope that Spring is just around the corner. Alex shoveled in three episodes yesterday; I was worried about him overdoing.

Barwitzki said...

I had lentil soup and beef with a slice of whole grain rye bread.
This morning I ate scrambled eggs. Oatmeal cookies with almonds for afternoon coffee. And the best thing is, in between there was skiing directly from the terrace into the forest... I love it. We still have snow until Sunday. Then it gets warmer and plus temperatures arrive... that's the time when I continue to work on my craft.
Your cross stitch work is beautiful. Have fun with your quilt block patterns... I'm already excited.
hug from Viola

Jackie said...

The heart attacks while shoveling is one of the reasons Hubby bought a snowblower. There are still a few places that need to be shoveled but we take our time with plenty of rests.

Your stitching looks wonderful. And I am glad you are healing, pretty soon you will be out trying those snowshoes.

God bless.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love seeing the blue jays in our yard, too - we have them year round. Your stitching on the evenweave fabric is lovely! I haven't tried that yet - sticking to Aida cloth because it's easy to get, but it is very stiff. I'd love to cross-stitch on something softer. Pretty greens in those blocks - I love the snow covered trees, especially! Glad to hear your injury is getting better, Jocelyn.

loulee said...

It's good that you are mending. Lovely quilt blocks.

Quilting Babcia said...

So good to hear that your injury is getting better. This cold weather is not encouraging my getting out to walk every day, so looking forward to spring. The Crossroads quilt is on my list of future makes, though I won't be buying any new fabric to make it. Need to use up at least a little stash! Hope all the latest lake effect snow doesn't inundate you folks.

dq said...

Love your RSC blocks. Getting to the "bottom of the barrel" is what RSC is all about, I think.
I LOVE puzzles! Funny thing is that I would have totally bought the one you are doing! I like ones where I can look at the picture on the box and see exactly where it goes rather than ones with tons of sky pieces.
Painting snow would indeed be super hard.

cityquilter grace said...

great puzzle...enjoy one myself now and then....and the blocks are perfect for scraps! mmm waffles and bacon sound delish!

The Cozy Quilter said...

You certainly have a lot of snow! I’m glad you are in less pain now and hope you can enjoy longer walks outside soon. I need to find a second RSC project…one that will use up lots of scraps! We sometimes make waffles or pancakes with Turkey bacon and fruit for lunch. My husband has a recipe for a homemade pancake/waffle mix that he got from Harrowsmith magazine. I can share the recipe with you …just let me know. Enjoy your projects.

PKBrandon said...

Hello, I haven't visited in a long time but wanted to say hi and kudos to you for keeping your blog going. You are an inspiration to me with all you get accomplished in the world of needlework. Really enjoy your blog!

LA Paylor said...

what a cozy scene. I see the picture as a painting, with a wee story to go with. You have an eye for photography. Love Ned.
LeeAnna

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Your picture of the blue jay is gorgeous. He sure is pretty! This reminds me to get work on some puzzles. We haven't worked on them in a while but winter is the perfect time for that activity. Aww, Neddy is such a good boy. He doesn't want to miss Tony in case he sneaks out for a walk without him! Your salmon dinner sounds yummy. I love salmon and like to eat it every week. Taking your time with getting back on the snowy trails is very smart, in my book. Injuries take time to heal - you have to listen to your body. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

What a fun puzzle. Ooh! Salmon - that is quite a find! I hope you continue to heal.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love that painting of the blue jays in the snow. Your puzzle looks challenging to me. It is a wonderful reminder of summer! You've had so much snow! We have too but then it warms up and melts. We have lots of flooding going on. I like your scrap project. I always like to use up my scraps. So glad to hear you're feeling better!

Linda said...

Glad to read that your injury is much less painful now. Your waffle dinner sounds wonderful. I like your new block pattern. I am not enjoying my RSC green blocks - I think my green scraps are not very attractive, but like you, I'm not purchasing any fabric, nor am I getting into my fabric stash! Hope you enjoy your weekend Jocelyn!

Jenn Jilks said...

It is a challenging time of year.
I hope you take care. It is so cold all of a sudden! And snowy!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Great start on your greens and glad you are feeling better. I simply stay indoors when the snow starts...LOL

Mary R. said...

I made a quilt very similar to your RSC blocks several years ago. I really liked the way it turned out and it used a LOT of small scraps. The book about Barbara Pym in your header picture is on my TBR list. Have you gotten to it yet?

Sara said...

We love having breakfast for supper. My husband actually suggested it last night, but I had already started something else. I do have one small mystery package in the freezer, but I can see it's either leftover taco meat or leftover spaghetti meat sauce.

The new blocks are quite cute, and will be awesome for RSC. It have some similar ones, but it was a Lori Holt pattern called Plaid. Might be time to sew them together.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

A jigsaw puzzle, bird watching and some stitching is the perfect way to cope with cold, snow weather. Glad to hear you are one the mend.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

The Blue Jay is beautiful! It would make a gorgeous quilt block ;) Pretty cross stitching too, Jour is coming along nicely, love the snow on the word. Cute Ned, perfect camouflage! ;)) I'm glad that you are feeling better.
Thank you for sharing your work in progress!

Rose said...

I love jigsaw puzzles. My daughter gave me one for Christmas and I have gotten the board out to put it together on but I know my quilting will suffer once I start it. So it sits there.

K Reeves said...

There’s nothing better than a puzzle when it is snowy and cold! I keep one out in the studio all winter, and last week, I spent too many hours enjoying it! Decided I best leave a little for the kids to do this week! You have kept busy with your stitching and some piecing; those blocks look Christmasy all together like that! I have been sewing yoga clothes this month. I bought 4 1/2 yards, for 2 tops and 2 bottoms, but with color blocking, I believe I will get 3 pair of leggings, 1 pair of shorts, and 3 tops! I am ready to be finished with this project, but I am not going to leave and remnants for future, I want to use it all up now and not store anything.

I do hope Tony’s appetite picks up soon, that is worrying for you. Glad your twinge is healing up. I have a knee acting a little weird, but yesterday I got out for a walk again, and this morning it seems better, so that must be what it needs.