Friday 2 February 2024

Crabapple Hill Snow Days, Crossroads Quilt, Goals and Prompt Chat

 I have my other winter slow stitching project to share in this post. Snow Days by Crabapple Hill Studio Designs.

My Vintage Seeds Packets jigsaw is moving along...loving all the little details in this one-a superior puzzle.

 I finished three of these large Snow Days embroideries last winter and have prepped three more for this new month and would like to see them finished when the snow outside is done too. Photographed here in the back hallway design wall where the lighting is terrible.

I use General's water soluble marking pencils to trace the design. It was the wonderful stitcher, Hilda, at Every Stitch that suggested these years back and I have used them ever since. 
It was sad when Hilda stopped blogging in 2017 but I now follow her on instagram where she shares her marvelous quilts all the time. I trace the designs with the help of the very large light box I inherited from first wife. She used it for her amazing stained glass creations.
The embroidery is easy running stitch in dark brown DMC 610 on Kona Eggshell fabric. 

And in the sewing room, I've stitched four more of the Crossroads Quilt blocks with a nod to red, the So Scrappy's RSC colour for February. I had to check and was relieved to find that yellow square is not crooked like it is showing. Phew! I hope to be able to keep up my goal of four of these each week in February. 

LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is about friends... that is a tricky topic for me as I have to fight my own innate notion that people disappoint. I prefer to stay to myself generally and if I've been an acquaintance/ friend at some point in the past and then drifted off, that absolutely is all about me, not you. And her other question was what attracts you in a man/partner. I always liked bespeckled, smart guys. My present hubby is one of the smartest people I've known personally. It's a given they would have to be nice...kind, animal lovers, etc. I've read women often answer that question by saying he's got to be able to make them laugh. What about you? Is that what you love about your partner? 

And this is what we are contending with regarding the snow and warming up. Our metal roof is quite slanted and any milder temperatures mean the snow starts sliding down. This is at the back door. 

However, on the plus side- wonderful, almost above zero temperature to walk in today. We were serenaded by the distant whine of snowmobiles on the public trails...super weather for that. What a great Canadian mid winter sound!

Sharing this post with Stories from the Sewing RoomQuilt Fabrication and Sew and Tell.




26 comments :

Libby in TN said...

I most admire my husband's thoughtfulness, not just to me, but everyone.

Susie H said...

Isn't that just the most perfect embroidery project for you this time of year!!??! I need to get started on my own Snow Days project. I don't even remember how long ago I gathered fabrics for it! LOL!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Goodness that is a lot of snow! I hope for warm days soon. I used to read Hilda all the time and looked forward to seeing her quilts I was glad when I found her on Instagram. I didn't know you were on there - I will need to look for you - what is your instagram name?
My daughter bought us a big jigsaw puzzle for Christmas not realizing her father doesn't do puzzles and I rarely do - I got it out to look at and 1000 tiny pieces oh my don't know when that will get done!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Those pencils do look intriguing but I don't do much that would need them. Good to keep in mind though should I ever take up that type of embroidery.
I have three long-time friends - two are nearly 40 year friends and the other is at least 65 years. There are other friends that come and go but those three are forever.
As for what I find attractive about my DH is his sense of humour and his eyes. I suppose I should add that he cooks and does housework too!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Snow Days embroidery blocks are perfect for this time of year, Jocelyn! Such sweet designs. That's quite the view out your door, though. It does feel good to get out in the brisk air, even when it is cold, although you have to do it in short spurts. Sounds fun to hear the snowmobiles! Enjoyed reading your thinking about friends and husbands, too. I need a certain level of "keeping to myself" as well - not good with people who need a lot of attention!

Janice said...

Your Snow Days will be gorgeous. The jigsaw looks like lots of fun. Isn’t Crossroads a nice and easy quilt to showcase fabrics. I so enjoyed making it and look forward to seeing yours evolve.

loulee said...

You have been busy. I love the Crabapple Hill designs and have 'Over the river and through the woods' in my 'one day' collection.

Jackie said...

This is going to sound strange, but Harvey is the opposite of me in almost every way. He is kind, always sees the best in those around him (me I am more likely to see the worst), loves me as I am (with all my messes when I am working on a project), and loves our boys. He is also pretty much the exact opposite of my Dad (loved my Dad, but he was very hard to live with and very demanding).

God bless.

Jennifer said...

Your snow looks wonderful compared to our current heatwave, Jocelyn!

PaintedThread said...

Looks like a fun puzzle. I don't get to do jigsaws as often as I'd like. I like all the looks of your sewing projects.

Out To Pasture said...

Thanks for passing on the marking pencil recommendation, Jocelyn. I've been wondering what sort to buy for my quilt patch embroidery so put in an order for #588 General's water soluble marking pencils. That is a dramatic looking snow slippage on your roof! Looks like a big fancy awning.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I've never heard of those pencils before but so glad to find out about them. Crossroads is coming together nicely. Looks like a great stashbuster! It looks like you got a ton of snow. We've had some snow but it warms up and all melts.

dq said...

I really enjoy Crab Apple Hill designs and have several patterns. They take me FOREVER, though. I hope I actually complete the patterns I have already purchased in this life time.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The snow on the roof is scary, but a fun sight anyway. The snowy scenes are lovely.

Winter as a theme is one in painting that I enjoy. I no longer have partner. When there was, a good sense of humor and brains are most attractive.

Linda said...

Your Snow Days is so pretty! Goodness that is a lot of snow. You and I sound a bit alike in the friend department. I had friends growing up, through college, throughout our married and working life. I'd say after retirement I became a loner, and I like the freedom of "no ties". Hubs is my best friend, and although we sometimes argue like kids, the companionship, shared humor, shared history (we've known each other since we were 10) - those are the things that still attract. Plus I still like to kiss him - lol!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Love seeing the snow. We just never get enough around here for me.

Juliana said...

Your snowy landscape is beautiful. I live in Detroit MI, so my pretty snow quickly becomes less than pristine, and is quite messy. Husband material--I was married to the funniest, smartest man for fifteen wonderful years, but alas, he was killed in a plane crash. He was a great father and loved his mother, and he adored me. That was forty years ago that I lost him. I'm glad you wrote a little about your present husband.

Quilting Babcia said...

Thanks for sharing the info about the pencils. Have you ever had issues with the markings washing out completely, or do they smear/fade if used for marking quilting lines on a large quilt? I'm always looking for a better way to mark white/light fabrics, and these sound interesting.

Cathy said...

Oh, you totally got me with the Canadian winter sounds of snowmobiles. We keep our snowmobiles in western Canada and will not have the opportunity to use them this winter as we are currently living in Santiago Chile. What a nice reminder you brought to my mind. ❄️❄️☃️

Karrin Hurd said...

What a great project to work on this time of year. Thanks for sharing the info about the pencils, I have never heard of them.

Jenny said...

Love those stitcheries!

Anne-Marie said...

Your embroideries are so pretty. I hadn't heard of those pencils, so made a note of that in case I do a project that requires them. Wow! Lots of snow. I like intelligence, integrity, humor, and practical skills.

LA Paylor said...

smart, yes. I put that on my long list the friend took to the sacred place for me. I forgot to mention common sense... oy vey! Well he's quite smart otherwise, lol.

we got snow again but it comes in makes a hit, then temps back up to 60's F. mostly. Climate change is real y'all.

I use water soluble pencils for sketching when I plan to paint

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

grammajudyb said...

I’m hoping to find a source for those pencils also! I’m a Crabapple Hill fan, but haven’t done an embroidered quilt in a long time. I like yours!

Angela said...

Oh, yes to the animal lover! Thankfully, my man puts up with all the dogs I host!