Tuesday 27 February 2024

Best Thrift Store Quilty Find Ever!

Last  Monday was Family Day here in Ontario, a day off work to get out with the family and enjoy winter activities. It was very sunny and we could hear the snowmobiles out on the trails. Beckwith County turns one of their forest walking trails into a skateway in winter and it was in top form.  This is one of the four we walk with Ned sometimes. It winds for over a kilometer through thick woods so it would be a unique and fun skating experience. 

I heard my first morning bird song of the season on Saturday morning. It was a cardinal singing so the season is turning or at least the birds think so.

I must get right to the mystery item that gave me such a surprise and thrill to find at a local thrift store on my very first visit to it. 

It is this beautiful quilt below, of Baltimore Album genre, which I have been admiring and examining  ever since it came into my hands. I photographed it in my bedroom which is darkened so sorry about the lighting. Here on my queen sized bed. 

No label or name anywhere. The applique is all hand stitched, as is the quilting. The sashing is machine stitched on the back, folded to the front and hand stitched. It is beautifully sewn with gorgeous batiks used throughout.
When I first put it in the cart, I assumed it was a machine sewn mass produced type item- you know the kind, but lovely and large enough for the spare bedroom double bed.
But no, it is genuinely hand stitched with a number of those beautifully ruched and specially folded flowers.


You can't see it but the tail feathers of this bird has gold threads sewn between them. Could that be a clue as to where it was made? Was that a pattern suggestion for embellishing it maybe?

And this interesting block with two headstones.
The quilt has that overall crinkly kind of feel and look hand quilting gets when washed too. 
And it has been washed a number of times and has some give way in a few seams but overall is in immaculate condition. It feels old to me. 
And here was the price.
How are you feeling about this? At home, seeing what it was with a less than $20 price tag, my heart sank at first. But then in my reading I found out these kinds of quilts are being mass produced with hand stitching too, kind of like knock offs. So maybe this could be that but I don't think so. And especially as it was sitting in a nearby small town, the one where I go just to visit the quilt shop.

I would be so happy to hear your opinions, all of them, not forgetting to please mention which particular pattern is this too. I've looked for that unique block and can't find it anywhere. Thank you in advance! 
Do you believe in fate? Could it be fate that I was meant to find this quilt somehow. Doesn't matter... as you all know, I love it and am delighted to give this beauty a good home. 
Sharing this post with My Quilt InfatuationA Quiltery, Quilts, Art, Whatever, Patchwork and Quilts and Quilt Fabrication.

29 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that price on the quilt is totally amazing. Like someone just wanted to get rid of stuff but didn't realize it was made by hand. All of the applique looks like hand work - not excellent work but good none the same. I suppose it could have bee mass produced but yet it doesn't look like that to me. I don't know the name of the pattern other than it is a Baltimore Album style for sure

Such a nice ice trail

Nancy J said...

This would be the find of your lifetime, beautiful, definitely not a mass produced quilt, maybe from a family whose gran passed away, it has been much loved for sure. Beautiful blocks. Love it.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The quilt is BEAUTIFUL! I would have purchased it also. I've never seen Baltimore Album quilts massed produced. You have a real treasure in your home. Thanks for sharing!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

What a gorgeous quilt!! I can't tell if it was ever mass produced. It looks very authentic to me in the pictures. I doubt the people at Salvation Army would know the difference anyways. I would say it's quite a find! I would treasure it and feel it was hand made.

Jenny said...

My goodness, what a find! Certainly makes you wonder where it came from. There doesn't seem to be additional quilting other than around the applique. I think you certainly got your $20 and much more from this bargain find.

Arish said...

A mí me parece hecha a mano pero sin duda es un gran hallazgo. Disfrútala mucho y BESICOS.

Jennifer said...

Wow - that was quite a find, Jocelyn!

Jenn Jilks said...

It is a beautiful quilt! You did well to take it home.
I heard about that skateway. I wish I still had skates!

Jackie said...

All I can say is WOW. You got a great deal. I am not sure what the pattern is called, but it is absolutely beautiful.

God bless.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

What an amazing find! You did well with the price!! I feel like it it was mass produced there would have been more quilting on it, like an overall design... Can you please send some of that snow over here? It might help with our fires... xx

PaintedThread said...

What a cool quilt! Is that basically a zamboni in the woods? LOL. But skating through the woods like that would be so cool!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beautiful quilt, Jocelyn - what a find! I can't imagine something like that being mass produced. It's too bad that there's no label on it. I'm thinking like Karen - someone was getting rid of things and took this quilt to the thrift shop without realizing its possible value.

Lin said...

Such a beautiful quilt and lovely choice of fabrics for the applique. You should be able to date the quilt by the applique fabrics - style, colour etc but I am no expert! Great find. xx

Pamela Dempsey in Northeast Texas said...

Oh, what a beautiful winter wonderland! We had a heatwave last two days, into the upper 80s. Today in low 50s. I still want cooler weather for a while! You really won out with the Baltimore album quilt. All that work and such a small price 😖. But the maker will be glad it will be cherished!

Joanne in Massachusetts said...

I'm just thrilled you found and rescued this treasure.

Michele McLaughlin said...

What does it matter if you love it? I can't tell if it is a manufactured quilt. I have heard of people selling or donating quilts because they didn't like the person or value the work. But I also have heard of people being taken by knock-offs. There used to be some online articles I could refer you to but unfortunately, those blogs have closed. I say, for $18, enjoy the heck out of it. Someone did do the rooching and other hand parts and it needs to be loved. Enjoy the bargain of the 21st century!

Susie H said...

You found yourself a treasure. I would say it was Kismet -- meant for you to discover and take home. What a cool idea to ice up the trails. Luge anyone? Lol!

Hubblebird said...

To me, there are two intriguing things about this lovely quilt. The first is to do with the history of batik fabrics. I have no idea how long they have been in existence. To me they seem to be a relatively modern phenomena, but I only base this on the prevalence of promotional design aka the Batik Ambassadors, and there will be far more competent people that really know just how long these fabrics have been around. That will help to determine the age.
The second intrigue, and to me the most interesting, is the block with the gravestones and the bluebird, and presumably something alluding to the tree of life, and happy memories, like the dog. I absolutely love this block above all others in this quilt.
What story is it telling? Is this a block which appears in antique quilts? Apparently the bluebird represents hope, positivity and renewal. I love it.
Thank goodness this is one of those old, perhaps antique, quilts that has ended up in the hands of someone that will cherish it, rather than slash into it and turn it into an ugly coat!

Linda said...

I am so glad you rescued this beautiful quilt. How sad it was discarded but at least you have it now! I think it is handmade, especially with that interesting headstone block (seems personal to me), the crinkly back, and those ruched flowers - wow. How wonderful it will live in a home where it will be treasured and loved as it deserves - yes I believe in fate!

Angela said...

That was a great find! It is a gorgeous quilt!

QuiltGranma said...

When I look at a quilt, I don't just look at the fabrics and blocks, I look at how it was quilted. Is it evenly quilted over the whole surface or just in parts. I would personally want more hand quilting on this as there are big gaps in the areas of quilting. The border is what I saw first, and it looks to be only quilted in outline of the applique. The picture of the back also shows huge gaps in the quilting. I would want to take the time to fill it in better.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Oh, Jocelyn! You found yourself a true gem. I believe it is old and handmade. The block with the two headstones has to be telling the story of what the maker's life held. That beautiful ruched flower would never be mass-made as it would take too much time. What a fabulous buy and I am so happy that you were led to it. It's definitely fate! It is meant to be used and loved by you. Please do so in good health. {{Hugs}} a bunch! ~smile~ Roseanne

Laura said...

I love Baltimore Album quilts, and you found a beauty! The style reminds me of Elly Sienkiewicz, not that she made the quilt, but might, perhaps, have been an inspiration? :)

Rose Marie said...

You have quite the treasure and you were meant to have that quilt as you will take care of it and enjoy it. I don't think this was mass produced because of the headstones. Your new quilt was made with love.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I had a book in my collection once upon a time that was about Baltimore Album quilts and I remember it featured ruching similar to that flower. Of course the book was donated and I can't remember the name of it now. Would having a look at the quilting book collection at your local library help? Either way, it was a score and you lucked out.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

You might check your library for Baltimore Album quilts or google Baltimore Album patterns. . .you might find a block similar to what is in your quilt. Elly Shenkiewicz wrote a number of Baltimore Album books perhaps that could give you some clues. I wish you well on your journey! Figuring out the fabric dating might help you too! What a Find!!!

Florida Farm Girl said...

I'm of no help as to identifying that Baltimore type quilt. However, I'll agree that it is a treasure. I've found some treasures but I don't think any were so economical as yours!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, I'm happy that this gorgeous quilt found a new and welcoming home! What a beauty! I don't know anything about Baltimore or these blocks, but they look beautiful!
Thank you for sharing this mystery find ;)

K Reeves said...

I vote hand made by an individual…that tombstone block is too unique; it was specific to the maker I’m sure. What a find!