Friday 1 March 2024

Chookshed Stitchers Challenge,Hawk Run Hallow Cross Stitching, Favourite Meal

 We had an amazing temperature shift in the weather this week...+15 C high one day back down to -15C low the next. Definitely surreal to have another higher temperature like that in February. There was a tremendous amount of melt that took place in a very short time. The change over period brought on early darkness amidst a heavy wind, thunder and lightening storm that seemed to be crashing right above our roof. Ned was scared- not the bravest fellow, and we were so relieved we only lost the power for a couple of minutes. I wonder what did the critters think of it. 

Chookshed Stitchers Challenge

I'm pleased with how far I moved this project along in February...the FFP Blue Courthouse Steps. I've stitched 35 of the 9 inch squares and sewed the border made up of 6 inch squares.

See the block on the right...not the real colours at all...no teal or aqua at all in this quilt. That's how badly my camera phone represents certain shades. 
I now have to pull out the papers and sew it all together. 

 I had just three things in mind for this quilt...that it be kind of manly since it's a gift for a man, it be large enough for a lap quilt and that some of the men's thrifted shirts would be used in it.  I'll have to do some dreaded quilt math to make sure it will be a good lap size but the other two goals have been met.

 I've also sewn together a number of orphaned blocks to use on the back. Definitely another plus to use scraps and stash for this project.

As on track as that project is, in other areas....

 I've gone off the rails with my current winter Cross Stitch project, Jour de Neige. Here's what happened. I was taking stock of my cross stitch WIP's ...there are 4 of them and most are large projects. I pulled out A Year at Hawk Run Hallow and just felt the impulse to pick up the needle and lay a few stitches. I was ready to stitch Block 7, July.

And I've just kept working on it this week-as the stitching spirit moved me if you will.  July's block now has a spouting whale and a waving, though sadly headless couple. I've added that will be underwater whale myself and for a reason. 

My stitches are just not good enough anymore for full coverage areas which is what that whole area required. ( I was relieved when I heard I'm not alone in this...full coverage is not a favourite thing for many cross stitchers.) I may add a couple smaller fish than the pattern has just to break up the space even more. I used Brenda's book to help me chart that little fellow. Here at  Amazon if you'd like to take a look.
LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is if we could come home to a favourite meal cooked by our partners what would it be...assuming they can cook. I had a chuckle at the very thought of Tony in the kitchen preparing a meal. While good at so many things, he's the first to admit having to cook for anyone would be his worse nightmare.  When he was alone, he lived on President's Choice blue menu frozen items, prepared salads, Delissio Frozen pizzas and toast for years. However, if Tony did cook, there would be much precision involved both in the cutting/dicing- he likes things to look uniform, and the cooking time as he reheats his tea at exactly 66 seconds in the microwave. He would literally have it down to a science. I think he is a little surprised at my rather slap dash approach to teaspoons, tablespoons, quarter measures, etc. 
 But anyway, for me, my favourite food tastes are all over the place. I used to say my favourite meal was anything I didn't have to cook myself. I love a good steak, any kind of pasta dish, souvlaki, Indian food, Chinese, a good burger and good fries, etc. But if I had to name one thing, I would make a nostalgic choice... my mother's big cooked dinner (as we called it) she made every Sunday...usually a roast with Yorkshire puddings, mashed potatoes, cabbage, turnip, carrots, peas pudding, etc. and her good gravy which she was known for.  What about you? Do you have an absolutely all time favourite meal? Do tell, as I love reading about food. 

Speaking of which, thank you all so much for taking the time to comment! I really enjoyed reading about your favourite romantic couples. I loved hearing that for some of you, you and your present partner is your favourite couple. Romance lives on!

 And I also loved how many of you commented about that special amazing thrift store find I shared HERE. But no one has suggested which of the Baltimore Album type patterns this one is. So keep an eye out as I would love to know more about this quilt. Surely that special block would be a good clue.

Hope your weekend has no unpleasant weather surprises and time for you to work on what you love.

Happily sharing with Alycia Quilts, It's a Small Town LifeKathy's QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than Housework and Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

26 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it may not be fancy but I always love meatloaf and baked potatoes or beef roast made in the crockpot and mashed potatoes on the side with gravy made from the sauces in the crockpot
Lovely stitching

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I often wonder what the wild animals in our neighborhood do when a storm blows through. They must shelter somewhere. We have seen rabbits hiding under our picnic table at times! I think those squares will make a great border for your Courthouse Steps quilt, and sounds perfect to use men's shirt fabric for them. Since I've started cross-stitching again, I find I'm not a fan of full coverage areas either! I do love seeing your progress on the Year at Hawk Run Hollow, though - that's a beautiful design! Fun to read about Tony not cooking and your favorite foods, too!

Jenny said...

We can always remember those family roast dinners from our childhood years, roast leg of lamb is my favourite. Followed by a pudding from the oven too, apple sponge pudding, or maybe creamy baked rice. I'm also rather fond of slow cooked pork belly, however that was never on the menu from my childhood days

Nancy said...

That wide temperature change can be a surprise! I love thunder storms except when we lose power. Well, I like them then, too, but would rather not lose power. It's so good yours was out for only a few minutes. I wonder how the animals outside brave the wild weather!
Your blue cabin blocks look wonderful! I think you posted a photo of lots of them laid out and they look great. (It's strange how cameras change (or see) the colors sometimes. I have the same problem, even with my regular camera.)
Favorite meal: roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy. I tell myself I could eat it every day though I know I would get tired of it soon enough. Just at the moment a BLT sounds good, or even a grilled cheese sandwich....

Jackie said...

Over the past couple of years I have discovered Indian cooking once again. Curry, dahl, flat breads and I am having fun introducing Harvey to them.

Harvey does make a mean brunch on Sundays.

God bless.

cityquilter grace said...

oh yes many food types i enjoy but i guess my fave would be new england clam chowder. i make it occasionally myself and it comes with so many good memories....growing up it was always our christmas eve supper and it still is. delicious and nostalgic

PaintedThread said...

I remember that cross stitch! Pretty blue blocks, too.

Ute naeht und strickt said...

Du sprichst mir aus der Seele.. Ich kann zwar kochen und man sagt auch sehr gut aber mein Lieblingsessen ist auch das was ich nicht kochen muss.
Liebe Grüße Ute

Linda said...

Oh your storm sounds like fun - I love a good lightning and thunderstorm! My little Rosie the kitty always hides under the sofa, terrified, but the other animals seem unaffected by the thunder. I always feel so sorry for the stray kitties and dogs during storms and cold or hot weather and am particularly grateful that my little black kitty Gus agreed to come inside and live with us last October and is no longer subject to the elements.
I think your embroidery is exquisite Jocelyn! I had to chuckle at the headless couple, I actually would not have noticed it. :D
Your favorite meals sound good! Mom's Sunday pot roast used to be my favorite meal, but now it is Thanksgiving meal. I also love a good burger and fries or a sandwich on whole grain bread with chips. I could probably eat a sandwich or a grilled cheese every day of my life! The best sandwich ever is leftover Thanksgiving turkey breast with mayonnaise on white bread.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think I mentioned before how much I love your blue Courthouse Steps project.
I am very blessed to have my Resident Chef and he makes so many good things. It's really hard to pick a favourite but I guess I would have to say it would be either lasagna or his stuffed pork tenderloin.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

It seems dramatic temperature swings have been the norm for North America this week. Glad you weathered your storm safely. Nothing like stitching when it is storming outside.

loulee said...

Love your blue blocks. Cameras and even computer screens do odd things to colours.

Jenn Jilks said...

You do such beautiful work. Well done. Just amazing. It's been good weather for indoor projects!

Beth French said...

Growing up in Maine, it was traditional to have baked beans on Saturday night. My meal would be my mothers baked beans, cabbage salad, steamed brown bread, and bread and butter pickles. So delicious! And to top off the meal, a yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Delicious!

Angela said...

I agree with the sentiment. Anything I don't have to cook is great. I a a decent cook but I don't love doing it.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I'm an anything I didn't cook is on my favorite list. I'm fortunate in that my husband enjoys cooking and will try new recipes. I was the main cook for the 35 years of our marriage. Now that he is retired, he has taken on the shopping, the majority of the cooking and generally the clean up too! Whatever he cooks is delicious. I have lots of favorites although his smoked pork ribs and baked cinnamon rolls are a couple favorites that came to mind just now!

Well done on making so much progress on your blocks. That dreaded math will work out and you'll have a top
soon!! As for the thunder, our first dog used to "herd" the family into one room so she could "protect" us during a storm. As our current dog ages, she is less tolerant of the noise whether it originates from thunder or fireworks. She noses us as if to say, 'take care of that disturbance!'

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Sunday, Jocelyn. Your Courthouse step blocks are gorgeous in the yummy scrappy blues! Looks like a fun project to work on. Aah the Hawk Run Hollows. I just love them. My all time favorite meal is Mom's spaghetti. No one can make spaghetti like her . Have a fabulous day.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful quilt you found at the thrift store. I love to cook, and me being alone now, I frequently cook something and take the rest over to my family. If I came home to something I didn't have to cook, I would like a BBQ chicken or steak. I no longer have a BBQ, mine went kaput and I couldn't see buying another. Your cross stitch project is lovely!

CathieJ said...

I adore roast beef with Yorkshire pudding. I make it for Christmas almost every year. I can't say that I would have a favorite meal other than that. My husband can grill, but I usually make the sides. I like your quilt blocks and the cross-stitch you recently returned to.

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your courthouse step blocks are so cool - they are very tiny ;-)

Maggie said...

My favourite meal, the homemade vegetable soup and bread my Mom and Dad would make, they would cook it on the AGA stove and it would heat the kitchen. We would play in the kitchen while the room filled with the amazing aroma. The kitchen was large and this way both parents could relax while they knew where we were and what we were doing. Being together like that is something very special, we always hold hands and say grace for the blessings we have in our lives.

Dot Brooker said...

That Baltimore quilt is stunning, but have no help in naming to offer. I did have a cross stitch pattern - but disappeared into a black hole! Your comment about complete cover really makes sense to me: I haven't enjoyed mine since having cataract surgery, but it does go over 40 A4 pages which may also explain lack of interest now. But have done a small one since with others waiting patiently, I hope.
Have a cat that hates thunderstorms and earthquakes, or loud noises, had a dog that would try and get under whichever chair you were sitting on. They are all so different.
Your patches are lovely, will keep an eye out for the finish.
Cheers, Dot, NZ.

dq said...

Your courthouse steps blocks are so pretty. I love blues! It sounds like you made great progress. You have done well on your cross stitch goal as well. It is nice to have a variety, in my opinion.

My tastes are everywhere as well. Right now, stake sounds great. I have never had Yorkshire pudding.

QuiltGranma said...

Hubby and I have been married since 1972, and still love each other deeply. He had been a bachelor some of the time before I met him and had learned to cook at home along with canning with his mom. I was a Home Economics major in college and an Art minor. When I met him he was taking an art class, so I knew he was good husband material, along with being able to cook. When he retired he asked me to teach him how to make quilt tops. Now we enjoy watching you tube tutorials of quilt making. It is fun to have that kind of friend right here at home.

Chookyblue...... said...

It's amazing how changey the weather can be....... Mine is not usually that extreme but still arises your at times......
I do like the city house steps and agree it's amazing how off the colours can be