Tuesday 19 March 2024

Bramble Blooms, Tiny 9 Patch, Animal Rescue

I showed Ned and his fellow chocolate Lab litter mates in this post to celebrate his birthday.   The litter included Petey who stayed with them and Beth made them a cake.

And Ned got to have his piece too which disappeared so fast it's a good thing I took a photo beforehand.
I finished my wonderful Peter Pauper Press Snowman and Friends jigsaw just in time to see the snow leave. Each of these puzzles includes a full poster of the picture which is a great help.
 I finally made a decision about what next for the Bramble Blooms Improv project. I'm echoing the petal shapes and colours of the center bouquet with orange peel blocks to surround it. I'm using EPP...freezer paper applique for these small peels and the block size is 4 inches. In real life, they are not competing with the center flowers size wise.
Angle here makes them look much larger.
 Of all the ideas I tried out, I like this one the best and it looks okay to me so far. Those embellished blooms I worked last week are still in the mix though I'm not sure how just yet. I want this border finished this week. Audrey, our Quilty Folk host, has called for another border of 9 patch blocks which is right up my alley just now.

As I have been sewing more blocks for the Tiny 9 Patch QAL, in this case, using FPP which has speeded up the process. I'm very happy to be using scraps for these little 3 inch blocks. Some folks stitch 10 a day; I can't do that as I have other projects to work on -always.
That's a little cross stitch made by Mom.
 We usually finish our evening's tv viewing with something light like a comedy show alternating with Noraly, the Dutch lady, who is motorcycling round the world. Her You Tube channel is called Itchy Boots. Right now we are watching her series in Africa and learning so much. In this particular video she joined an Ocean Conservation group in Namibia who are rescuing seals. The way they catch them and the job they are doing with helping them is just wonderful to watch. What good work they are doing! 
I know you like minded animal lovers will take some comfort in knowing people around the globe are helping our animal kingdom. 
Hope your week is going well and your stitching fingers are flying!

20 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the applique is looking great

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Happy Birthday to Ned! He looks quite festive. Your jigsaw puzzle looks great all completed. Your projects are coming along quite nicely. I love the idea of the orange peels. They fit in so nicely.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Love your flower quilt! It is so cheery, I would wear the motif as a tunic. Very well done

Ahem, I can eat cake as fast as Ned.
And like Ned, feel zero shame for it.
:)

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday to Ned and his litter mates. He certainly brings you both such joy.

Quilting Babcia said...

Your border plans for BB1 are perfect, and 9-patch blocks will echo the inner border of small squares. Happy Birthday to Ned! They grow up so fast don't you think?

Anne Kirby said...

I've seen Itchy Boots but never clicked on her. I certainly will now. Bald and Bankrupt is another world traveller you might enjoy!

Susie H said...

Such pretty colors for your Bramble Rose Improv. Loving it.

Linda said...

Laughed out loud at the video - that cake disappeared really fast! :D Your orange peel blocks are just perfect for the Bramble Blooms, and you're right, they "echo" instead of "compete" - nice!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I didn't know there was such a thing as Pooch Cake - how cute! Your puzzle looks like it was fun, too. I love the orange peel flowers for your Bramble Blooms project. It's looking very Spring-like! Soon we'll have blooms in our yards, too.

Jeanna said...

Happy Birthday to Ned. I'm glad to see he enjoyed his cake :) The puzzle looks like a lot of fun. Having the poster is helpful. Your Bramble Blooms quilt is so pretty. I love the colors.

Jenn Jilks said...

I do admire your work and your play!

Angela said...

Your improv quilt is so pretty!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Your Bramble Blooms Improv is looking wonderful! I love the cheerful colors! xx

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Happy Birthday to Ned! Love the petal shapes you are creating. Well done!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

I'm loving the Bramble Blooms improv!! So pretty and fun. Happy birthday to Ned. I can see how that cake went so quickly! Mine would scarf it in about two bites! LOL Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your small orange peel blocks are lovely, perfect with the cute flower vase center. The tiny 9-patches are cute too! Happy birthday Ned ;))
Thank you for sharing!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Glad that Ned enjoyed his piece of birth day cake!
I like the choice of orange peel blocks to go with your flowers in the pot. Wonder how they might look if you also added blue centers like in the other flowers in the middle? Maybe even blue buttons? Might be too much though.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Happy birthday to your dear little Ned! Seeing him eye the cake, I'm surprised you didn't lose a hand! I really love your choices on the Bramble Blooms Improv. The choice of orange peels is perfect! Your tiny nine patch blocks continue to fascinate me. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/20/wednesday-wait-loss-372

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Happy Birthday Ned!!!
your bramble blooms is just so pretty!!

dq said...

Fun puzzle! I haven't done any since camping a month ago. The ones with posters are must haves.