Friday 15 March 2024

Shopping, Books, Slow Stitching

Our trails have dried up and there is no ice on the pond. The geese have been floating around on it.  MUCH earlier than usual and such a welcome sign of spring. LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is if we have a favourite flower of spring. Truthfully any of the early blooming flowers are a welcome sight for me, I really can't pick just one. But I do especially love to see the Lilac tree bloom which is brief but showy. What about you?

Robbie spent part of his March break here with us and it was fun to have a 10 year old in the house. Children really have their own unique energy, so different from us old folks. I noticed how fast he talks with such enthusiasm, for instance, compared to us. His hockey season is winding down and he has started football lessons just for fun and loves it. I don't think I've shown you something I bought for his Christmas present this year...one of those human dog beds. It was a gigantic hit! Everyone agreed we'd all like one. 

I'm doing okay with the full coverage on my HRH Block #7. I swapped the called for blue of the sea for a slightly brighter one. Folks had an rare issue with this pattern when it came out in that the colours in the picture didn't match the called for colours.  The called for colours were much more subdued, even dull.

Did I tell you already I ordered The Woodpecker, #9 in the Year in the Woods series by Cottage Garden Samplings? Ned and I have watched a juvenile Pileated Woodpecker at the top of the lane going about from tree to tree. It stays far enough low on the tree trunks, which right now are leafless, that Ned can see it. One morning we trailed it for quite some distance till it finally moved to the tree tops. Ned surprises me with this because he often misses a rabbit darting to the side of us. Anyway, I think it appropriate that I stitch a bird now to join the Jackrabbit. Summer stitching maybe. Here at 123Stitch.
 I'm reading(rereading) this book of short stories by Canadian author, Alice Munro.
Alice won the Nobel Prize for Literature which was remarkable. Often Nobel Prize winning authors are novelists writing about major events, wars, unrest, injustices, etc. so it was rare to have it awarded to a short story author who wrote about ordinary people dealing with the ups and downs of domestic life. For example, some of you may have seen a movie called Away From Her starring Julie Christie and Gordon Pinsent about a husband coping with a wife whose memory is fading. The movie got two Oscar nominations. It was based on Alice's story called The Bear Came Over the Mountain

Alice had dementia herself when she was given the prize and could not attend the ceremony. Her daughter went in her place and did say that her mom understood and knew she'd gotten the award. I really hope so.

I promised I'd show the tops I bought at the Real Wool Shop. Here they are. The colour of this one was what caught my eye. It is a deep violet/mulberry colour and will look good with white hair. It was a winter item so on sale.                  

This second one is a summer top, 3/4 sleeves, very light rayon like material and a pretty design on it. 

 Would these suit you?
We are off to the vet's with Ned to get his spring time vaccinations and tick meds. Afterwards, we might go through the McDonald's drive through and get egg and sausage mcmuffins and seniors' coffees. Do you ever do that?
Hope your weekend is fabulous and you get a chance to do something you love.
Sharing this post with Days Filled With Joy and Kathy's Quilts.







24 comments :

Jeanna said...

Your Hawk Run Hollow stitch so pretty. And the Woodpecker will be a fun stitch as well. Hope all goes well at the vet and you enjoy your breakfast.

grammajudyb said...

I had seen those human dog beds! Are they comfy? I think your colors are perfect on your HRH blocks. And the woodpecker stitch is stunning! That will be fun.
I’d probably try the raspberry top! I’m trying to remember my hair reads as white or light blond now, instead of the carrot top or ginger that I was for most of my life. I couldn’t get away with reds, raspberry, or pinks then! I’m making up for it now!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love lilacs, too! There are some in our neighborhood and I always look forward to their blooms. Is your grandson in 5th grade? I taught 5th grade for my teaching career and really enjoyed that age, too. His human dog bed is quite the thing! Love seeing your stitching - it looks to me like the HRH sections could be done in your choice of colors and be beautiful. I will have to find Alice Munro at my library - that sounds like a good book. Fun new tops you found at the wool store, too!

Jenn Jilks said...

You had Gramma Camp! I don't think we will have another. Our Ottawa grandies are too old for that...

We bought a blow up mattress for the grandies. It worked well for years.

Good luck with your craft projects!

Jenny said...

Your new woodpecker cross stitch looks nice, very appropriate as you have them close by on your property. Seems that Spring has almost arrived for you.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the sweater sure is a pretty color and I love that woodpecker! I love seeing all spring colors of flowers pop up. Have not read that book I will look for it. I am really not sure when I was to McDonalds last - a very long time and I used to drive through frequently as I liked a small order of fries and a coke

Jackie said...

You are really going to enjoy that woodpecker stitchery. Here we have Downy Woodpeckers and another breed that I just can not remember right now. Harvey has been taking photos of them at the suet block and is starting to name them and tell them apart.

God bless.

Pamela Dempsey in Northeast Texas 😻 said...

Ohh, I love that fuschia sweater, one of my favorite colors! I think a human dog bed would be so much fun! I have a hard time getting up from the floor now or would be tempted….

Linda said...

Love the human dog bed - I'd like to get a couple for when all our family comes. We just don't have enough beds, and the kids would love these more than the sofas. Hands down favorite spring flower - peonies. And of course they don't grow well here. Oh I love both your new tops!

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - I really like that pink top!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

How lovely to have your grandie around for a visit! Your cross-stitches are just beautiful - you have more patience than I do!!! Thanks so much for joining in on Monday This and That and I hope you had a great week! xx

Quilter Kathy said...

What a fun post! I have never seen a dog bed for humans - fun! So interesting what you shared about the great Canadian writer Alice Munro. Your new clothing purchases are lovely - I would happily wear both of these!

Karrin Hurd said...

I've never seen a dog bed for humans. My younger grandchildren might love that. Your new clothing purchases are great. I have found some great things at one of our thrift stores around here.

Floor said...

Nice that you also made a quilt in the Courthouse steps pattern.
Larger blocks than what I make.
Mine are 3.5 inches small.
Isn't it wonderful that spring is coming again, also for you.
Greetings,
Floor

Rosemary Dickinson said...

The dog bed looks so comfy! I love both tops you bought. The colors are gorgeous! The Woodpecker looks like such a great project. You pick the nicest stitching projects.

K Reeves said...

A human dog bed?! I’m sure Robbie loved it and invited Neddie to join him. That photo of the pups is so sweet, they grow so fast! Your blouses will be so beautiful on you…they suit you so well! We are having spring here too, but today the wind is cold. Tomorrow they say 65, though, so wow!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

My favourite spring flower would have to be tulips I think, although I'm just happy to see flowers after the long winter (we had huge big snow flurries this afternoon...yuck).
I have never seen human dog beds and I know our grandies would love them. Alas no room in their houses for extra furniture.
We often hear a pileated woodpecker but I have yet to catch sight of him. It will be fun to stitch one.
I would definitely wear that pretty mulberry coloured top!

Deb A said...

Now that looks like a comfy bed! I'll have to check out that author - she sounds like a great writer. Enjoy your week.

Michelle said...

I would LOVE to have one of those people dog beds. How comfortable would that be?! Thank you for linking up.

Susie H said...

A dog bed for humans? Did you have to keep Ned out of it while it was at your house? LOL! Your needlework is so pretty. I love 123stitch. They have so much to offer and at great prices to boot. That pileated woodpecker will work up beautifully and it'll remind you of the one you & Ned followed. Hope you're having a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - I love the variety of this post! I adore lilacs, but they require a lot of protecting in Montana to save them from the deer. So I have learned to enjoy those that are growing in other people's yards! Pileated Woodpeckers have been favorites of mine ever since we had a mating pair in the woods behind our house in Cleveland, Ohio. I think I have heard of Alice Munro, and you have certainly inspired me to read her work! Lovely tops - I love the color of the first one but I am not sure the neckline would work for me. Have a terrific week!

Maggie said...

Snap! Woody wood peckers, all sizes and we have one which comes to our maple tree in the morning. He is hammering the tree for hours on end. It is wonderful to see all the birds and animals out and about. Spring is coming and the warmer weather. Love the stitching, it is so inspiring to see what we all work on. Hubby tells his cousin we never stop sewing, yet we do. Most get done in between household tasks and cooking, running errands and getting stuff done. Sewing and stitching is just the cherry on top, time to relax and enjoy with creative projects.

loulee said...

Lovely to see your cross stitch.

dq said...

I have not heard of that author. I will have to check out her short stories.

Your stitching work is lovely.