Friday 8 March 2024

Patchwork Projects, Lucy Bird Art, It's Spring-Maybe

You know you're living in the country when a heading in the local forum reads..." Do Not Approach: Bobcat Sighted". It was noted to look healthy and was not aggressive. One time people did not have to to be told to stay away from such a wild animal. Once Tony showed me a clip of a man and woman being chased by a buffalo...they thought they could pet it or some such nonsense. But perhaps it is not new. Just that with our impressive social networks we are hearing about it. I read the phrase "common sense is not so common anymore" dates back to the 18th century. So folks must have been getting up to ridiculous hijinks even then.

I contacted Lucy to see if I could share one of her neat prints found at Lucy Bird Art. I ran across her work when I was looking for unique jigsaw puzzles which she offers as well as the prints. I had a hard time choosing one to share with you as they all seem to represent aspects of my life these days down to those woolly slipper socks and Geraniums in a pot in one of the prints. This one with the birds is more spring like. I just refilled my feeders and I would certainly enjoy two orange cats very much.

For the Chookshed Stitcher's Challenge
 Deanna pulled #4 this month so my Diamond Patchwork quilt is back in play. I love it so it will be a treat to move this project along this month. Luckily I finally smartened up and have these larger projects with their fabrics and thread in their own containers; no wasted time searching. Six of the 12 blocks have been made; wish me luck in getting this one to the flimsy stage.
And here are six more of the Crossroads Quilt blocks. I need to put them altogether on a wall now to take a look at where I am with them. They remind me of presents and it is wonderful to paw through the scrap basket to find those strings. I think the pattern calls for 56 of these and I have 30 now. 
 LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is to describe spring through our senses...here is my list but with the caveat that spring, though giving the appearance of having sprung here, is not to be trusted. March is when we traditionally get the most snowfall of the season. 
Hearing...the bird song I already mentioned in a post recently. Always a thrill to hear the first birds of spring twittering. Sight...geese overhead and their honking too; grass and new shoots showing through underfoot.
 Smell...I'm going to say something on the wind..it is always windy here in early spring, a warmer wind and it has a different smell, maybe of earth.
 Touch...handle seed packets. And it always feels good to be able to go outside in lighter clothing. It will be great to put away my weighty parka, the heavy boots, neck warmers, tuques, etc. What about you if spring is heading your way? I know our friends in the southern hemisphere are getting winter nudges these days. 
I use several senses to enjoy this special thing about spring- following along with the Indiana Barred Owl live cam now turned on for the 2024 breeding season. This year, the female has settled in and laid three eggs. The male has been busily bringing her food so things are on track to be a successful season.
It's been raining and then sunshine, neither of which I have to shovel so it's all good here at the Wooden House. Hope your week has been productive in and out of the sewing room!



19 comments :

Jeanna said...

You selected a nice print of Lucy's to share. I resemble so much of this...minus the cats. You have some pretty fabricss in Diamond Patchwork, they mixed very well. The Crossroads Quilt blocks do look like presents. Enjoy the weekend ahead!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Spring cannot be trusted here in Colorado in March either, Jocelyn! We're in wool socks and covered up in quilts looking out at snow this morning. I love that print you shared - that would make a fun puzzle. Those Diamond Patchwork blocks are lovely! I hope you'll enjoy making more.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

spring is very much heading our way the trees are in full blossom and I found my first strawberry blossom in the garden - normally it is still cooler than this for March it is crazy weather

cityquilter grace said...

oh those diamond patchwork blocks are sooo pretty! and i am close to caving on some crossroads blocks myself as yours are sooo inspiring!

Jenny said...

Your number 4 in the challenge has a lovely Spring feel to it, and I've always admired the crossroad blocks. Yes, its Autumn in NZ noticing a dip in the temps morning and night, although the days are still quite warm.

Jenn Jilks said...

Such wonderful projects.
We have a Bobcat, but they are really shy. OK, shy isn't the word. But in years with trailcams we've seen it once.
They well know that humans are dangerous.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love that puzzle print. It looks so cozy to me! I'd enjoy being in that picture. Love the projects you're working on!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Friday, Jocelyn. Every now and then we will see a bobcat in our area, but there is no way I would ever approach one. Lol. What a lovely print.Lucy certainly has an eye for detail. Your blocks are looking fabulous. I am drawn to the Crossroads block . Wishing you a productive weekend. Hugs.

Jackie said...

Such lovely quilts being made at your home. I really like that print.

God bless.

PaintedThread said...

Love the colors in Diamond Patchwork - it's so cheerful. The Barred Owl cam is pretty cool.

Linda said...

Thank you for the link to Lucy Bird Art. Her work is some of the most joyful I've ever seen - I love it! I do so love your Diamond Patchwork - I guess I'm just a patchwork gal! Hoping you have a wonderful weekend Jocelyn. :)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Enjoyed my peek at Lucy's art - she does amazing work.
Wouldn't it be incredible to see that bobcat? Not too close, mind you! I recently saw a picture of some not-right-in-the-head people mere feet away from a moose. Not exactly the smartest thing to do.
Describing spring.... hearing - obviously the birds twittering; sight - the first robin of the spring; smell- rain; touch - not exactly something I touch, but the sun on my face.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely blocks! The Diamond squares are very pretty, I love these cute prints. And you are right, the Crossroad blocks look like gift boxes ;)
Thank you for sharing!

QuiltGranma said...

Here it is VERY windy, with tumble weeds galloping past. It is overcast with a view of the distant Blue Mountains of Oregon showing snow on top. It is nice to NOT have snow here now.

Chantal said...

Thanks for sharing the link to Lucy Almey's website. I enjoyed my visit there very much. Good luck with the challenge this month. Diamond Patchwork is so beautiful and peaceful. Lovely Crossroad blocks. They do look like presents. Enjoy! ;^)

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Spring sprung here in the south with 70-80 degree days a few days ago. Then storms, and cooler weather again. I can't imagine having to wear a heavy parka. I don't even like to wear coats but will if I have to! LOL All your projects are lovely. I really love the Diamond Patchwork. It reminds me of Christmas! Thanks for sharing with Monday Musings!

doe853 said...

Hi Jocelyn,
I’m not a quilter but very much enjoy your blog, perhaps because you are in Ontario which is where the majority of my maternal family live now. Just wanted to see that your comment about not having to shovel rain or sun made my husband and I laugh, we’re in Vermont so we know how you feel. Have a great week. Dale

dq said...

I really like the crossword quilt blocks. I may need to sew up my scraps in that pattern some day.

dq said...

By the way, I love the artwork from Lucy Bird Art. It would be a great puzzle.