Wednesday 7 February 2024

Chookshed Stitchers, Tiny 9 Patch Challenge, Blue Courthouse Steps, Ups and Downs

We had a rabbit living in the front yard, hiding under the veranda but it has moved on. I think Ned may have caused that because he happened to catch him on the veranda one day and chased him underneath. 

Deana pulled #2 for us to work on this month for the Chookshed Stitchers Challenge .

I had to look back at my original post to see what that would mean for me. It is the Blue Courthouse Steps project and I am thrilled to be working on this one for February. Here is a photo of all the blocks I've sewn to date. It was good to get them out of their box and give them an airing, :D.
My special freezer paper that can be put through the copier machine arrived.
 I've tried it out. I like the way the freezer paper is thinner than the cardboard especially for the Tiny 9 Patch one inch blocks. It will definitely help with eliminating some bulk and thereby -hopefully- aid the accuracy. Taryn suggests stitching 10 a week but that would be on the machine I think. Of course, I'm sewing at my own pace and enjoying the process very much.
Our landscape continues to be an icy one these days. Of course, the cleats are on the boots when walking but I'm not venturing too far about. Yesterday the sun shone beautifully and we walked - very carefully- along the snow banks skirting the pond. Snow is now firm ice...it was pretty and so nice to have sun on my face. 
 I read a distressing article about the rivers of cloth in Asian countries. Our textile production is far exceeding our proper usage and so much of it is ending up in landfills and clogging landscapes. I shy away from cloth items at the thrift store...except if an exceptional blouse is spied or something new with tags. I thought more about this when I remembered how I'd bought Tony a bag of car washing cloths at Winners and realized I could/should have bought the equivalent thing at the thrift store, just never thought of it. 
Oh my, always something to think about. And there are always ups and downs here at home too. I'm late posting this week...we lost a whole day in the local ER which was distressing but ended well...multiple tests throughout the day all negative and the overall treatment was wonderful. We came home exhausted but feeling so thankful for all that.
I hope your week is going well! 




26 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sweet little bunny - I'm sure Ned did scare it away, although I bet he just wanted to play! Your blue courthouse steps blocks are so pretty, Jocelyn. I can see that they would be a pleasure to work on. Take care on your walks - sounds like those cleats are helpful. I'm sorry to hear you and your hubby had to visit the ER - hope all is well. Hugs!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

ooooh - I love the blue quilt!! I'm glad it's next 'up' on your dance card too.
Very glad that the trip to the ER, although long, came out okay.

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a beautiful Sunny day for a careful walk outside! We have Sun here too but no snow! I love your blue log cabin blocks. Fun to resurrect an old ufo.

Nancy J said...

Your blue blocks are impressive, all those shades and they go together perfectly. A snowy icy landscape for sure. The op shop, visited ours yesterday, just on chance as I had to wait for our pharmacy to do a repeat of tablets, and there on the very front rack, a brand new white sleeveless top, from a very smart store, was $79.99, the store tag still attached, and only $10. Posting to daughter this morning.Our op shop has so much to offer, from curtains to bedding, kitchen goodies, puzzles, books galore and clothing to fit everyone.Then the glassware, vases,tall solid ones for only $4.!!!And just occasionally, fabric that I can use for a bag .

Jenny said...

So sorry to read about your day spent in ER, that must have been rather upsetting for you both. But the tests were clear, thank goodness. Your Chookshed Challenge looks nice, its always good to get a project out again and see where we are up to. My number 2 for the challenge is elephants, so I'm getting ready to doing some machine applique.

cityquilter grace said...

love your blue blocks...not so much the ice or the ER visit...hope things improved and more sewing ahead

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

visits to the ER can be so long and stressful glad the tests all came back ok. I love your courthouse step blocks and the nine patches. Sorry you still have ice - our cooler weather is coming back next week but so far that looks to be just a little cooler than what it is now and not the arctic air - I hope it stays that way

Jackie said...

We got freezing rain and sleet this morning, which has changed over to snow. Now that will make our roads nice and icy for sure.

I am staying home and working on projects, I did take a short walk yesterday, but not today.

I love the blue courthouse steps blocks.

God bless.

MissPat said...

I'm so sorry you lost a whole day to an ER visit. I hope whoever (whomever?) was being treated, whether you or Tony, are doing much better. I think the amount of waste in the US and I guess in Canada as well, both clothing and food, is discouraging. I rarely shop for clothing anymore, but confess that I throw too much produce into the compost pile. Cooking for one is a challenge.
Pat

PaintedThread said...

Cute bunny. I like your blue courthouse blocks. No fun spending a day at the ER. Glad it all ended well.

dq said...

Are your courthouse steps from scraps of blues or did you purchase the fabric just for this project?
I use freezer paper like crazy but didn't know you could purchase it in printer sized sheets. Good to know.
Nice photo of the dog on the snow with the sun and trees.

Linda said...

Gosh a day at the ER - oh no! I'm glad it turned out well, must have been quite stressful. Those kinds of days exhaust me. Your frozen landscape looks slick! Glad you have cleets. Your Blue Courthouse Steps blocks are just beautiful. Hope you have a great rest of the week!

Carol in Texas said...

Jocelyn, I am sorry to hear about your ER day. We had one of those last July and they are exhausting. Care is always excellent and appreciated but it leaves one so depleted. I’m glad to learn yours turned out happily. Ours required a couple of hospital days, further exhausting!!!! But things are well now and we should all be grateful for each normal day in our lives….normal as each of us defines it. Mine includes some sewing of some sort, as I think yours does too! So I’m off to put borders on a quilt block. I love your blog. It is like spring here in central Texas so your winter photos are much enjoyed. It’s too early for spring!!!!

loulee said...

Love those blue blocks, I hope you make lots of progress.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Love the quilt
The sunshine the last few days has been wonderul.
Wishing you good health along with prayers

Anonymous said...

Is that a tame bunny that has escaped from someone? The wild bunnies should be white should they not?We feed the rabbits in the middle of the city and they are all still white.Enjoy L of tour nature Pi turns!

Aritha V. said...

I really like the photo of the rabbit, it's a shame it got scared, but who knows, maybe it'll come back because it's so cold? Your snow photo is very beautiful. I can imagine you're being cautious when walking."

Jocelyn said...

Love your blue quilt. Your snow pictures are so pretty. No snow here, we walked the beach today :-)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I am glad your courthouse steps are back into the light - that will be a fun project to work on!
Your landscapes are gorgeous - the sun shining on them was so pretty!

K Reeves said...

So sorry you spent the day in the ER, but at least it was during the day. (Our visits always end up in the evening and on the weekend)

Those courthouse steps blocks will be a great project for this month!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those blocks for your Blue Courthouse Steps quilt are going to make such a fun quilt with all the random yellow and orange bits thrown in. LOVE them, Jocelyn!!

Sara said...

So sorry you lost a day in the ER instead of doing something fun. But glad you had good results. i love the colors you're using in the Courthouse Steps.

maggie fellow said...

it is always fun to get reacquainted with a quilty old friend

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those courthouse blocks are fun and lively. Sorry about the time you spent in the ER. I was happy to read the visit ended well! We enjoyed some sun today. I am looking forward to spring and leaving the cold behind!

Michelle said...

I love the look of your blue quilt. Sorry to hear about the ER visit. Hospitals are never fun. Thank you for linking up.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, your Courthouse Steps blocks are lovely, and these tiny 9-patch blocks too!
Sorry for being so late visiting your blog. Have a great weekend!
Thank you for sharing last week.