Friday 16 February 2024

February Flowers, Quilting Books, More Crossroads Blocks

 You must be tired of me talking about how much I admire Geraniums. Here, deep in winter, is mine giving out pretty blooms. 

Of course, I try my best to be good to them. I read that Geraniums and most plants enjoy Banana water...just the skins soaked for a day or two in water. I had to try that and now all my plants are getting a drink or two of the egg shell / banana water. I also spritz the leaves regularly and I never overwater. 
After enjoying these books from the library, I wound up buying a copy of them. They are both wonderful additions to a quilting library. Jennifer's book, Everyday Quilting-The Complete Beginners Guide is one of the best quilting books I've read...so clearly written and includes lots of photos as a guide. And I would love to sew every single project of the 20+ she chose to include. Jennifer is The Inquiring Quilter blogger and hosts the popular Wednesday Wait Loss weekly link party. Amazon link is here if you'd like to check her book out.

And Riane Elise's book Quilting By Hand is just so lovely. Pretty pictures and lots of information about hand quilting. I like how she keeps the directions simple and makes hand work like this look so doable.  Seeing her sweet projects made me think about the size of blocks I usually work with and the use of solids in projects too. Amazon link to read more if you'd like to.

Four more of the Crossroads quilt blocks have been sewn. I'm using just scraps for the crosses and you wouldn't believe how many times a scrap will be big enough for three of those crosses but not the fourth. Ugh! My only rule with these is no florals, well, maybe tiny florals though. 

LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is did you have a crush on someone and when. I remember in junior high liking a boy. Didn't really understand much about it all because we were kept very innocent about boys, etc. in those days. But this boy...there was something about him and his straight black hair; I could spot him in a crowd a mile away. And it seemed to make my day when I did catch sight of him. I never ever spoke to him, just admired him from afar. What about you?? Crush on a star maybe??

I don't want to bore you or upset anyone by including medical bits in my posts so skip the following if you'd rather not read such.

  I had my echocardiogram...took a long time to do- almost an hour and it is an ultrasound so not at all invasive or painful or anything. I heard my heartbeat for the first time in my life and learned that the sound of your heartbeat is unique to you. I never knew that. Did you? Right away the technician said my aortic valve sounded fine. But that was it; I'll have to wait till the cardiologist gets to see the results to learn more. Then I got fitted for the halter monitor and am wearing it till Saturday. The device has a little weight to it and I found the strap annoying around my neck so rigged up a way to pin it on my shoulder. I am feeling surprisingly calm so far (maybe because I'm finally getting something seen to that's nagged me for ages). Thank you all warmly/sincerely/ always for the good wishes. 

Here it must have snowed all night as it's looking like a beautiful winter postcard out there. Goodbye ice!! Have a good weekend!

Sharing this post with Quilting is More Fun Than HouseworkSo Scrappy, Small Quilts and Doll QuiltsSongbird Designs and Inquiring Quilter.

17 comments :

Jenn Jilks said...

Good luck with your heart!

I water my plants with fish water. They seem to like it.
So good to see your geranium!

Linda said...

I really love your Crossroads blocks. Your black-haired boy reminds me of my first crush on a red-haired neighbor named Aaron, and I was 8! :D Oh I envy that postcard view of snow! It seems February here is going to be abnormally warm.
Of course I avidly read the medical details - lol! I wish you the best of luck with the results. I had an "abnormal" diagnosis on an EKG that went to "normal" after an echo and wearing the halter. I still have an occasional "pounding" in my chest, which both the cardiologist and my primary say is OK, so I try to ignore it. My Mom and Dad both died of heart-related issues as well as my oldest brother, so I like to keep an eye on it!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your books look good. As a hand quilter I must say that is how I learned how to quilt! I looked at a book and the photos and I was off!
It is always nice to have flowering plants in the house in the winter - it brings a smile and color!!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I had an echocardiogram when I was 20 years old. I got my first job in a hospital and they detected a heart murmur. I had the echo and found out it was functional and of no concern. I was scared! My new boss at the time walked me to X-ray where the echo was performed. I'll always remember how nice he was to me. I'm hoping all your test come out fine. I love those quilting books. They look interesting!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think it's a big treat to see blooming geraniums in the middle of February, Jocelyn! A hint of summer, and it sounds like you know just how to take care of them, too. It's fun to find a book that has lots of projects you want to make, as well good tips and ideas for being a better quilter! I wonder if my library carries either of those. Your Crossroads blocks are so pretty - I love the look of the narrow inner strips and larger outer patches. I hope the tests you're undergoing will give you answers and a good path for moving forward, too.

PaintedThread said...

A bit of color in the middle of winter is always a good thing. Ah - your description of your first crush made me smile. It's all so true!

Jenny said...

Hoping for a good result for you, Jocelyn, it's always scary going for these tests isnt it. Not that I've had one, but I've certainly had my share of MRIs.ive probably said this before, but I do admire your crossroad blocks.

Jackie said...

I had to wear one of those monitors a couple of years ago. I suffer from Brachycardia and have all my life so I don't know why my previous doctor got so excited about it.

Love the looks of those books, especially the beginners one.

God bless.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

I love geraniums too! Never thought about having them indoors.. I might have to try that! Thanks for the banana and egg shell water tip, I will try that as well :) xx

dq said...

I sincerely enjoy seeing your Crossroads Quilt grow. It is very very lovely with the red in the centers.

How interesting that everyone's heart beat is unique. I didn't know.

I hope I remember the egg/banana water treatment for plants. Good to know. I love geraniums too and used to bring them inside in the fall and replant in the spring.

Nancy J said...

Down here those monitors have a narrow bag to fit in, and that ties around your neck.They are heavy. And. more of a nuisance at night I found.So good to know the tests are ongoing and the medical team is doing their best to sort this out.

cityquilter grace said...

as a cardiac patient myself i hear you about the testing...love those crossroads blocks...about ready to jump in on those myself....

Pamela Dempsey in Northeast Texas said...

Your geraniums are so pretty! The everyday quilts book looks good!

MissPat said...

I have a collection of geraniums in a south facing wide window in my dining room and they all have a few blooms on them. It always makes it hard for me to cut them back in early spring so they will fill out before going back outside on the deck. I'm glad your getting your heart issues addressed. Having answers is much preferred to worrying about what might be wrong.
Pat

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I've not tried banana water and egg shells for geraniums. Your plants look wonderful! I too like your cross roads blocks. Have fun with your new books. Knowing your aortic valve is okay is great news. I hope you get your results soon. The waiting part is the worst part!

Bonnie said...

I hope your wait for answers goes fast. And it is all good news ahead. I remember a crush in 2nd grade. Sigh, I even remember his name. Fast forward up to high school and he was wrestling at a tourney I was at. He aged well. I also remember picking my 2nd grade daughter from the first day of school and telling me she was in "love, L-O-V-E!" I wonder if she remembers that. Enjoy your flowers and making forward progress on your quilt.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I'm glad that you are getting your heart seen to, and I hope everything turns out well for you. Thank you for sharing my book--your comments were so sweet. Love those Crossroads blocks and nope, it doesn't surprise me about the scraps because it always seems to work that way for me too--how the scraps know to be just a bit too short so they aren't used is beyond me. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/02/14/wednesday-wait-loss-367