Sunday 15 July 2018

Quilt Bible Blocks

Funnily I was just thinking the hostas the deer like should be ready for harvesting. LOL
 I glanced out a front window and there she is having a bit of breakfast.  This was taken through the screen with the window thrown wide to let in a little fresh air before everything gets barred up later on.  It poured rain overnight which the ground badly needed.

Meanwhile I was happy to photograph this fellow finally.  I've watched him or one just like him troll the small pond every spring I've been here and he alerts so easily, was never able to get a photo to identify him. I'd thought of plovers or tiny herons of some sort. These photos were taken from very far away and then cropped.  A "new to me" bird and pleased to add it to my list- a killdeer. I think they are rare at home; my birding friends can let me know.

First photo, he is finding something to eat in the dried pond bank area.  Snails maybe? because they are plentiful there.

Second aided the identification...those two throat stripes.


My facebook friend Anne, who lives in Australia, is doing the 100 Days 100 Blocks Challenge  being run by Gnome Angel and using Tula Pink's book City Sampler.
Because she is an amazing quilter, Anne's blocks are all beauties.  But it reminded me of a book on my bookshelf... The Quilt Bible by Rosemary Youngs who loves the civil war era reproduction fabrics and her blocks are easy ones too like Tula's.


 I do not have such fabric which is a bit challenging but really I should be able to cobble together a few from what is in my cupboard and scrap bin.





This was fun sewing and I hand stitched because frankly I'm a little addicted to it. And it is hard to machine stitch on the veranda!
What a welcome change to get out of the sewing room and sit in the fresh air eyeing all the little flying and flitting things while sewing.

We are watching this series, Anne, on Netflix and amazed by the young Anne's performance.
I read the books Anne of Green Gables when I was 13 (and can still tear up just thinking about Anne, the orphan, telling old Matthew "I'm going to belong to you now"). I've watched many different reproductions over the years and something about the filming of this one is appealing to me.

Image result for Anne with an e

“Dear old world', she murmured, 'you are very lovely, and I am glad to be alive in you.” 
― L.M. MontgomeryAnne of Green Gables

Hope your world is lovely and you are full of gladness today too.

And glad to link up with Kathy's QuiltsFree Motion By the RiverSmall Quilts and Doll QuiltsCooking Up Quilts,  and Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.














1 comment :

Miaismine said...

Oh! A simple search of your blog and I found the book you were referring to! Thank you! :)