Thursday 25 July 2019

Favourites... YouTube, Potato Salad, Basket Blocks,

Yes, the chandeliers at the Hilton, Lac Leamy, are the exceptional work of Dale Chihuly.  His remarkable glass blown creations are completely new to me so thanks to all who commented about it.

This photo has a number of my favourite things in it.
 Veranda stitching, my pretty robin cup for keeping drinks cool (or hot) and my latest viewing on YouTube.  The Last Homely House in the East is the title of this video channel featuring Kate and her cats, chickens and ducks on a small farm near Hexham, Northern England.  She shares her cooking, baking, crafting, knitting and quilting and chatters on in a very engaging, interesting manner.  In the video I'm watching above she shares how she makes her Kaffe Fasset Trip Around the World block.  Below she is making something completely new to me, a Nut Roast which consists of nuts and loads of vegetables.  Btw, does anyone recognize the reference in the title of her vlog?
A favourite of Hubby's and the quintessential summertime dish is potato salad.  I am always on the look out for a great potato salad recipe.  What I've learned during my search is that a lot of folks claim one or all of the following....
their recipe is
- the best in the world
 -their grannies' recipe thereby more authentic than all the others
-sure to be a crowd pleaser so the best to bring to pot lucks
- has a secret ingredient that will make it the best you've ever eaten
 I've visited many sites and here are the links to three that sounded very good to me.  Hope you try one and come back and let us know if it was the best.
At Susan Branch's very pretty site she shares her family recipe for Old Fashioned Potato Salad.

                                


Here is Stacy Lyn Harris' World's Best Potato Salad recipe . A mother of 7 children, Stacy Lyn knows a thing or two about feeding people. I've made her Cowboy Cookies and they were so good!  Too Good!
                                          Finished bowl potato salad
As Heidi says on her blog, Foodie Crush, this is not her first potato salad rodeo.  She has shared several different recipes before but thinks she has hit the potato salad jackpot with this particular recipe.

                                           Oh writing about this and looking at these photos is making me hungry.
I guess the inclusion of certain things is a distinguishing feature of each recipe.  I'd never had celery in my potato salad till I went to my mil's and she wouldn't make it without it.  Probably the prize for most colourful potato salads would go to myself and my fellow Newfoundlanders who make mustard and beet potato salads. I know that  sounds a bit weird but is very tasty.  Here is Bonita cooking in her Newfoundland kitchen showing just how this is achieved.  I must admit hers are even more colourful than I'm used to.
Something that is bound to be a favourite is the latest autumn fabric collection called Plum Garden from the team at Tilda's World.  If you like dreamy florals, this is sure to please. Also at that link, you can find a selection of very nice free patterns.
                                    
Still a favourite of mine, my wall of baskets keeps on climbing.  If  I just keep making them, I'll never have to face the putting together part which is my least favourite bit.
Favourited by so many, the daisies are in bloom.  Pretty green beetle there, some kind of weevil?? Ahh July. And summer, the second favourite season for most especially loved by extroverts apparently. That  is not me but I'm thoroughly enjoying my gardening/outdoor time which is definitely a favoured pastime of mine.
So have I struck on any of your favourites?  Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this post and those past...especially the recent clothing suggestions. To be chatted about next time.
As always linking to Not Afraid of Color where you will find a list of bloggers also sharing wonderful, fun and interesting things on a Thursday.
Also linking with It's A Small Town LifeKathy's QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than Housework and My Quilt Infatuation.



22 comments :

Roseanne said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh those daisies are gorgeous! I have a grouping in my front yard that seem to be quite happy today. I'm wondering what you plan to do with those basket blocks? I mean, do you envision sashing between or what? You can mail them to me and I'll sew them together for you - I like the piecing part! ~smile~ Roseanne

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your baskets are growing and looking really great. Hubby is very particular about his potato salad and after tasting his mother's potato salad years ago I pretty much stuck with her version over the years although my mother's was good this one was actually better although I never told my mom that LOL - I had to make one exception though Mike's mother really put a lot of raw onions in it and I can not eat raw onions as they upset my digestion so I will put a sealed bowl on the side of chopped onions and whoever wants them can add them.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I was pretty sure her vlog name was a Tolkien reference, but had to look it up to be completely sure! It's about Rivendell where the elves lived - big Tolkien fans live at my house! I loved your research into potato salad, and will have to check out all those recipes. Of course, my mom's is the best, lol! When she comes for her visit in August, she always has to make some because I can't get it to come out the same! I do love daisies, and should plant some!

Michele McLaughlin said...

I loved this post and especially seeing Bonita's cold salads! Here in Pennsylvania Dutch land, most people include bacon in their potato salads which of course, all my men love. we might try that beet salad as Brad and I both loved red beets! Your baskets are looking wonderful! Have a great day!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Mmmmm....potato salad. We had some for supper tonight and it was very tasty! Ours is a very simple recipe that we've used for years so I doubt we'll be switching to anything new. Such a beautiful daisy picture, complete with the little bug!

Libby in TN said...

Always celery for crunch or at least celery seed for flavor. I put sweet onion in if I have it and I add a dollop of yellow mustard to the mayo, too. Not fond of pickle relish or other foreign matter (except hard-boiled eggs).

Rose said...

Yes, I watch Kate...found her a few months ago. Love to watch and listen to her. And I know where the name comes from, but only because she has told. I used to not like celery in potato salad but now it is one of my favorite ingredients.

Brian's Home Blog said...

The Dad here is a big fan of tater salad too, yum!

Jeanne said...

Hmmm, I can't remember the last time I made home-made potato salad, and I really like it a lot! I do use celery in mine. I'm putting it on my Menu Idea list for next month :)

loraine everard said...

Glad you went and found Kate, Jocelyn ! I believe the title comes from a Tolkien book, somewhere in her videos, she explains about it.I love her posts, and I love yours!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I missed your last post. I never ignore your posts. Sometimes I wonder where my time goes. If Terry doesn't sleep till 10 I don't get enough time on the web.

I never watch UTube unless I'm looking for a tutorial. Potato salad is not a FAVORITE, but I do love it. I like to add a cucumber to mine, pieces cut small and no seeds.

Have a glorious weekend. Our weather will be exceptional.
xx, Carol

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Don't you love Kate's kitchen in England? I could see myself sitting there with a cup of tea just listening to her. Delightful. I laughed at your baskets remark and how you just keep making them. Those daises are so delicate looking. I really enjoyed this post. Thank you. mary

Allie said...

I've been subscribed to her channel for awhile - I could listen to her talk all day!! I'd love to meet her! And yes, the Tolkien reference is what drew me in, lol....love your baskets, keep making them and you'll get them together someday. I love potato salad but never make it - we have a store here where we buy it ready-made, they can't keep it in stock on holidays, lol. SO good!

PaintedThread said...

I like your robin cup! Mmm... potato salad. so many ways of making it and they're all delicious.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

My mother's "secret" ingredient is to add sour cream to her potato salad. It always tastes good! I've never watched Kate but might have to check her out! I just bought some new Tilda fabric. I bought a little package of fat quarters. I love all her fabric lines. So pretty! Love your baskets! Your flowers are amazing!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love those baskets, have to pass on the goodies but they look good!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I make my potato salad recipe very much like Stacy Lyn Harris. No celery seeds I prefer some crunchy celery. I always add a little of the dill pickle juice and always use red potatos. Your basket quilt blocks are going to make a very pretty quilt

Quilter Kathy said...

Well now I'm hungry!!
You made me laugh with making blocks is the best part, so you'll keep making blocks to avoid the hard part of putting them together... me too!

Little Penpen said...

I have that basket pattern and hope to start a wall of little baskets one day soon.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - I spent a large portion of my day in the garden, and I am giddy as a result. It really is one of my happy places! I like potato salad, but there are many other summer foods that I would eat before potato salad - watermelon, ice cream, grilled bratwurst, corn on the cob - oh my, now I am getting hungry!

Jenn Jilks said...

So many variations on potato salad! It's a great summer dish!

INVEST WITH $200 AND GET A RETURNS OF $2,000 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.