Thursday 1 August 2019

What I'm On Top Of (Sort of)

Some days I think I'm very on top of this aging thing.  Then other days not so much and a bit of uncertainty creeps in.  It is treading into unknown waters, I guess, but tread we must.  We also waver between the two of us, one up, one down.  Do you know what I mean?  Aging is a gift we keep reminding each other, but it is not always a beautiful thing. With the swimming, I'm aware of my arms suddenly. They are so scrawny...why can't my thighs be like that.  I'm like a snowman melting from the top down, especially in this continued heat. There have been heat warnings for most of July which the thriving corn loves far more than me.

Thank you all who had clothing suggestions and I followed up as promised.
The Dress Barn does not ship to Canada but American friends, right now they are offering 40% off their already reduced items which looks like a deal to me.
Sadly Christopher and Banks also will not ship to Canada and they presently have everything 50% off.  Soft Surroundings also does not ship internationally.
But Chico's, JJill and Overstock do.  So lots for me to explore.

Getting on top of Windows 10, sort of. Boring but necessary.  I finally broke down and bought a new laptop as my last was flashing it needed a new battery for over a year now.  I bought the same one but this one has Windows 10 so there is a little learning going on.  The keyboard is faster which I like.
The strawberries were ripe by the first week in July and we got to pick a week or so later when they were huge! And so sweet.
 Littler grandson had a ball. |We teased him that they would weigh him on the way out to figure out how much he had eaten.
We enjoyed this Netflix docuseries called The Last Czars very much.  It is really a fascinating story of how the revolution in Russia evolved to the point the Czar and his family were assassinated. Did you know that Czar Nicholas and his chosen wife, Alexandra, were a true love match? I had heard of Rasputin of course but it was also interesting to learn more about his role in their downfall. Woven throughout was the mystery of the woman claiming to be their daughter, Anastasia, who had somehow survived the massacre. Well acted and cleverly mixed with historians providing background, this was not dry at all and left us wishing more of history could be presented in such an entertaining way.
                                  With his new German bride Alexandra by his side.   Alexandra is played by Susanna Herbert
Figuring out what was disturbing things in the garage workshop.  Hubby has been noticing for some time that things looked disturbed in his outdoor workshop. I keep my gardening stuff there and saw one day that the birdseed bin had the top partially removed, no mean feat as it is one that locks.  I heard a noise further in the garage, peeked around the door and spied this.  Just so happened to have my camera with me.
Can you see him?
Yep a raccoon.  Hubby thinks he's been living in the attic part of the garage for a while now.  It was cute how he held this "hands up" pose not moving a muscle for all the while I was there.
However, we are really hoping he has moved on.  They can wreak havoc with buildings.
I have my Sweet Pea trellis stitch afghan almost finished, just crocheting an edging all around. It is now big enough to cover arms and feet at the same time, the role of an afghan.
Christmas Wishing
This wonderful project which I know will appeal to many of you is called Sleigh Bells by Jan Patek . I think I've mentioned before how much I like Jan's attitude to quilting...have fun with it, enjoy, etc.  She only ever includes the simplest of blocks to piece. |It would be interesting to see this made with more modern style fabrics.
I've made headway on other stitching so a few photos next time...have that shirt I used for reclaimed fabric pretty much down to just the buttoned placket!
 I feel like I've been really busy-for me, and today I'm off to the Outlet mall for some retail fun. Hope there is something fun in your day today too!
It is always fun to visit the blog list at Not Afraid of Color.  Also linking with It's A Small Town Life, and  Viewing Nature With Eileen.



23 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice to see your crochet blanket is about done - I am going to start a new one this year when we travel but I'm not sure what pattern or yarn I will use - I need to decide soon so I will have all that I need along with me when we set off in the motorhome. Cute racoon but yes don't need it in a building. I was going to watch the Last Czar but haven't gotten to it - maybe it will be next up to watch. Love strawberries fresh here has been gone for awhile now of course.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That is a wonderful blankie and beautiful strawberries too! Oh that silly raccoon!

LA Paylor said...

melting like a snowman... that is so true. I met someone yesterday who had liposuction (never knew an actual person who did it) and I asked about loose skin, she blinked and said hers is good. My skin is sagging now without lipo.
Hands in the air, stick 'em up! How'd you get him out and to stay out?
LOVE the Christmas quilt! Make one and do some of your embroidery! It could be a year long project with a few blocks a month. Thank you for always giving us so much to enjoy and see all week, like the show, books and recipes. LeeAnna

Out To Pasture said...

Oh, those lovely strawberries! Yummy! And those dratted raccoons! They've raided nestlings, wrecked bird feeders and pooed in the garage rafters here. Gr-r-r. Still, I adhere to the live and let live rule. Your sweet pee blanket is gorgeous! I finally dropped my Netflix account after months of finding more trash than treasures on it. Thanks to your tip though, I still watch Acorn TV.

Out To Pasture said...

Ha! I meant to say "sweet pea", not sweet pee! Incontinance was not insinuated!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Oh dear- I need Windows 10 also and I'm avoiding the subject (heehee). I understand your feelings on aging. I'm 71 and do not fell it except for limiting joints and muscles. I definitely look my age. But, my mind is sharp. Just recently I've notices misspellings, difficulty remembering old movie star names or films. Nothing important, just annoying. I like Chico's but have to look for their sales as they are expensive here. I need to find The Last Czars. Your afghan looks so soft! Great post. mary

Julierose said...

Yup--I totally agree with you about the "age" thing we are dealing with...some days I feel 90 others I think of myself as in my younger years again...but onward we go--right? I am just thankful that I have
my crafts, gardening etc to do...Chico's clothes are way too dressy for me...I am a jeans and tee shirt gal...hugs for "advancing" lol Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh, I am with you on the aging - so thankful to be here, but, why does my hip suddenly hurt this morning out of the blue? Lol! How fun to pick strawberries with your grandson - yummy! We also enjoyed The Last Czars, and learned a lot from it. Your crocheted blanket is just beautiful, Jocelyn!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh geez. Microsoft reminded me that support for Win 7 ends in January. I guess I'll have to bite the dust and go for a new computer. I admit that I do not want to give up my desk top. I'm pretty sure I'll wait til Fall to get a new one. By then we'll stay in more as I'm sure this will be more than I will easily learn. But now that I'm familiar with apps it might not be that bad.

Better be sure to be rid of that raccoon. Some critter - squirrel or raccoon--got into our garage attic and ate through the wiring to the room behind it. Quite an expensive fix. We used to pick berries every year. I used to tell the kids to fill up now because they'll be cleaning them when we get home! Aging and that up and down thing is true for sure. It's a bad day when we are both down, lol. There is a tremendous lot to be said for growing old together.
xx, Carol

Libby in TN said...

Yep, aging is no fun, but the alternative is worse! I no longer take offense when DH reminds me of things I might forget. He's now reached that failing memory point, too. Funny thing is we know what each other is talking about, even when we can't remember the words!

Jenny said...

I always enjoy reading about your thoughts Jocelyn. As my 99 year old aunt used to say, getting old is not for sissies! But much better than the alternative, I'm sure.
Lots of lovely strawberries in your garden, nothing says summer like fresh strawberries.
Having a raccoon in your garage cannot be a good idea, how do you keep them out, I wonder. I'm sure that are clever enough to get in to tiny spaces and hide.

Jeanne said...

Hehe, my arms got saggy this year also -- how did that happen? We had a mama raccoon and babies in the tree last year, but they moved on eventually. Made a mess in the meanwhile, so even though they were cute I was glad they left. Enjoy those luscious berries!!

Nancy said...

Your season for strawberries is much later than ours. They are usually about finished by the beginning of July. Beautiful fields and cute grandson.
I'm so sorry you have a raccoon. I love them and think they are adorable but not inside. Unfortunately, we've had them in our attic off and on over the summer. We've scheduled someone to come out and fix the opening they created to get inside. It's hard to sleep with raccoons coming and going just above our bed.
I so enjoy seeing your wildlife visitors. The fox! Amazing he stayed so long. The deer, the birds, all fun to see.
You've shown photos of your basket blocks in recent posts. They are just beautiful. I love the soft colors and fabric prints you're using with them.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - your description of aging had me laughing out loud - what else can we do? If not laugh, it would be weep. I may not be "melting like a snowman", but everything aches - the wine helps! Thanks for the recommendation on Last Czars - sounds like my kind of show! Enjoy your weekend ahead!

PaintedThread said...

Oh, those strawberries! I had been eyeballing The Last Czars - I will have to watch that. Your afghan looks comfy!

Jenn Jilks said...

A great post!
I love our raccoons...
I am SO tired. We have the grandies for another day!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Wow - that raccoon really did pose for you. You'll have to give us an update if he has moved on. I sure hope so. I would love to see that Netflix documentary, The Last Czars. I dropped them for Amazon Prime unfortunately, but I'll keep it on my list to see someday. ~smile~ Roseanne

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Thank you for the head's up about The Last Czars -we just got Netflix so I will look for that one. Raccoons can be cute, but not inside where they can do damage. Hopefully you can evict him/her without too much effort.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jocelyn thankyou for visiting my blog i hope you come again ,i am also your newest follower hope you will visit again and follow me my friend.
I love your post,i know what you are saying about getting older.
Boy i love your work you are very clever Jocelyn hope you have a lovely day xx

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Love your pretty afghan! We once had a skunk in our garage. We had to get a wildlife expert to get him out. He sprayed a little bit on his way out. I was just glad to get rid of him! I love to read about Russian history. It's so interesting! Getting old is no fun but the alternative is much worse!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your afghan is pretty. Cute critter, but I think the raccoon would have to go. The strawberries look delicious, your grandson is a handsome boy. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend. PS, thank for your visit and comment on my blog.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

A raccoon? Oh my...that would be scary! Love your stitching and the afghan of course! The critter not so much! heehee!

Raewyn said...

Interesting post Jocelyn :-)I have heard Raccoons are pretty clever with their hands - I imagine having one in your shed would be quite a nuisance - and cause a lot of mess for Someone to tidy up. Hope it moves on peacefully. Your Sweet Pea afghan is beautiful - well done on the finish. I love the quilt too, very Jan Patek and it would translate well to other fabrics I'm sure.