Sunday 18 August 2019

Blue Flag Quilt Blocks, Spring Strings Quilt, Spanish Rice, Brilliant Wildflowers

As I make my way about the property, I'm so happy not to be colour blind. This would be the saddest season to be unable to see all the pretty colours, each it seems more vibrant than the one before.
Wild Canadian Thistle
Living in a wild garden, for that must be what this really is, as from my kitchen window I watch hummingbirds at the feeder, a chipmunk run under the rose bush, two red squirrels uncivilly(chasing each other about) taking turns drinking from the pot of water I put out, and the surrounding spruce trees, interspersed with many brightly blooming things.  A sight this morning I'm going to try to hold in my mind's eye for later when I know summer will be a dream.

I have finished a couple of projects so it's time to pick up some new ones. No shortage of ideas in my notebook thanks to the constant inspiration I get from you folks!
 I've been getting a new scrappy project up and running in the sewing room this past week.  I found inspiration for this idea at Pinterest and followed up at Sew Delicious (where Ros hasn't posted for a while).
                                                       
 Small corners of colour reminding me of flags representing all the colours of the rainbow in one quilt. I was influenced by the gorgeous blue of that flower below to begin with blues. I don't have that many low volume fabrics for the backgrounds so there will be repeats.

I don't know enough about photo editing on Windows 10 yet so this is its true blue colour...electric.
Viper's Bugloss, sometimes Blue Thistle
 Lucky because blues are my biggest stash as well.  A messy process though as all the fabrics must come out for an airing and look over. But a great way to get to the bottom of the pile and always find something I'd forgotten about.
The result has a restrained kind of look yet there is such freedom to choose any and all colours of fabric. You can tell I enjoyed stitching the first batch of blocks very much.

I have all the papers removed from my Spring Strings and the hand stitching held up. It feels softer and is ready to be a sandwich. This bundle of wool, the Debbie Bliss Andes, has been with me for a few years now. I wrote about it in this post way back in 2015- I Love Debbie Bliss Andes Wool. It is so soft and needs to be used-another crochet project. With the blanket finished I can start this one...guilt free. More about that later.
And an equally brilliant shade of yellow.
Birdsfoot Trefoil named after the seed pods
Today I'm going to be stitching on my cross stitch Summer Storm piece. I am listening to this audiobook (second time I've tried it). Still not really grabbing me but I'm hoping it will.
                                                       Women Talking
Karen at Quilts...Etc. is listening to a John Grisham novel, The Litigators; I just might have to look for that.

It's leftovers today for supper. I made meat loaf and baked potatoes last night with enough meat loaf left over for today. I knew the weatherman was promising high humidity to arrive by Sunday here so I would not want the oven on.  I've had this recipe from Simply Recipes bookmarked for a while, so today's the day to try it out.  I'll be using one of my most useful small appliances, the rice cooker.
Spanish Rice


2 tablespoonsolive oil (can use up to 1/4 cup)
1onion (finely chopped, about 1 cup)
1garlic clove (minced)
2 cupslong-grain white rice (or medium)
3chicken stock (cups, or vegetable stock if vegetarian)
1 heaping tablespoontomato paste (or 1 cup of diced fresh or cooked tomatoes, strained)
add pinchoregano
1 teaspoonsalt

So that's all that's cooking here today.  No outings planned so a quiet day to putter about.
Btw, if I've mislabelled these wild flowers, please let me know. I am absolutely an amateur at this.
This post will be linked with Kathy's QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than HouseworkSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts and  So Scrappy

19 comments :

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Kudos to you for your wild garden - far more interesting and wildlife-friendly than a manicured lawn and neat little flower beds, which are basically green deserts and consume far too many resources.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I haven't made Spanish rice in ages! Love meatloaf and baked potatoes and that is a regular meal here - love it. Your flowers are all so pretty and bright a lot of mine are drying up and dying from the heat of August like usual - you really have to water a lot in August and I don't keep up with it and let them start to die. The Grisham book I am listening to is the second of his books and so far they are fairly easy to listen to. Some I just can't get into as I don't care for the narrators voice sometimes and then I just can't get into it.

Libby in TN said...

Gorgeous (and inspiring) colors in your landscape! Those little corners on low-volume prints would make a great RSC project. I used to do a version of Spanish rice done as a casserole with pork chops on top but haven't made it in years since the groaning boys have left the house. Maybe I can modify the recipe to serve only two.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I just love those blue flowers. The quilt does remind me of colorful flags. Your garden sounds lovely, I enjoy watching the hummers too. I have to remember this Spanish Rice recipe, sounds yummy. Thanks for linking up and sharing your post. I always appreciate your visits and comments too. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day. Wishing you a great new week!

Deb A said...

Beautiful vibrant colors in the flower photo's! Pretty scrappy quilt parts coming along. Meatloaf and baked potato - yummy! I tend to use the crock pot a lot when it is hot outside - teriyaki chicken Friday and french dips monday I think!

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely flowers and quilt blocks!

Jill said...

Lovely wildflower photos. Yes, their colors are vibrant. Meat loaf always tastes better the second day.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Thanks for the Spanish Rice recipe-I needed a new one. That blue thistle is just stunning. I can't wait to see your finished scrap quilt.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your garden is beautiful, Jocelyn, and I love that you know all the wildflower names! I can hang onto the birds we know, but haven't mastered trees or flowers yet. I love your new project idea - pretty blues against lots of scrappy backgrounds!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Such fabulous quilts and lovely flowers!!!

Rebecca Grace said...

Beautiful flowers, blocks, and yarn! I don't knit but I love balls of yarn. I feel like I ought to buy some yarn and some knitting needles and display them in the living room as Decorative Accessories. Hah! Blues are my favorites for quilts, too, and I have an excuse to stock up on more of them because that's what my son has asked for his graduation quilt (high school graduation will be in 2021, so I still have plenty of time).

Out To Pasture said...

The blue in your viper's bugloss is gorgeous! I think you rceived more rain in your area than I did in mine. Our lawns and flowers, even the wild ones look drought stricken. My neighbour's cows have depleted their pastures and are now being fed hay which was ment for them this winter.

Michele McLaughlin said...

OH I love seeing the flowers and inspiration from the garden is the best! Love that quilt idea! Have a wonderful day! Hugs!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Those blue flowers are amazing (how I would love a piece of clothing in that colour!). The rice recipe sounds good so I think I'll pass that along to Resident Chef for consideration. And so much inspiration in those balls of yarn - can't wait to see what you will do with them.

patty a. said...

Love your new scrappy project! How big are you cutting the background squares? I have bins and bins of scraps and this would be a good way to use up those triangular bits.

Lin said...

I love vipers bugloss - especially when it has a tinge of pinky purple. Your new blue scrappy project is looking great. xx

Susie H said...

Love the thistle flowers and looking at your pretty blocks. How was the Spanish rice? I saved it for my future use because it sounds delicious!

Quilter Kathy said...

I hope your cross stitching is coming along well!

Jenn Jilks said...

My hubby is colour deficient and doesn't distinguish greens and brown. It's rather interesting. Lovely colourss for sure.