Tuesday 27 August 2019

To Do, To Really Do

There is mud on my pants and dirt under my nails which means I was working outside.  I'm not a clean gardener I've discovered.
I planted these lavender plants SIL gave me.
 I've also been doing some raking in the pond which sounds bizarre. With all the July heat, algae and seaweed grew like crazy throughout and threatened to take over the entire surface. I've been raking some of it out each day to give other things a chance to grow. I did look it up and this is what you do. Or use chemicals but I like the idea of raking first to see if this will help.

Before they fade (which they are all doing) I must show you these orange day lilies. Younger grandson helped plant them and said they reminded him of pumpkins and his favourite Halloween thing to do is carve pumpkins.

But getting back to the garden goals...
This is the time of year I research what plants can be divided in the fall and which can be left till spring. I do this each season as I forget from year to year which are when. I checked again to confirm our overnight frost can start as early as October 1 here in Ottawa. Things need to be set down in a new location about a month prior to that according to the folks I consult. So that means the sooner the better. I have several plants that are withering slightly because they need dividing.
And every year I have plans to gather seeds and never do. This year will be different. I'm really going to do it.  The yucca is loaded with seed packs this year and all the coneflowers have started to seed. It's all there for the picking. Just need to get at it.  So two garden goals for this week are to divide/ replant and collect seeds.

 I do have my photograph blocks back on the wall and I'm feeling more kindly toward them than I did before; several rows have been trimmed and joined. The sashing has been cut to join those rows, so progress.  Let's say getting this to the flimsy stage will definitely be a goal for this week.
I also have more of the red flag blocks made.
Jenny of  Romany Quilting mentioned this would make a great leaders and enders project. I couldn't agree more. Easy to cut and easy to sew.
I wonder what the next colour over at the So Scrappy RSC will be?  A fallish colour perhaps. Someone mentioned purple.  It just occurred to me (duh) I could coordinate the flag making with that SAL just for fun. To date I've made 30 blocks each of the two colours.  So another goal will be to make 30 of whatever is September's colour.

I did not make the Ginger Puffs yet but for a special reason. I had more than enough treats this week which I will tell you about on Thursday.  So I'm going to move this goal ahead for later in the week.

I have taught myself a very good little pattern for the scarf crochet project. I used this YouTube video made by Tracey Beebe to help. So that wooly project has begun.  I wonder what can't you find on YouTube!
I have done the online shopping and that Silpada silver necklace and the Karen Kay Buckley circles are winging their way to me. Many of you commented on how great those circles are.
I've been adding the collagen powder to our almond milk, coffee and yogurt. Very happy with the way it blends in and is unnoticeable in the food. I'll let you know if my hair starts to thicken because that will be big news!
Meanwhile, hope your week is off to a great start.
Happily linking with Home Sewn By UsLife in PiecesThe Madd Quilter,  Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and Em's Scrapbag.



























15 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we have so many treats in the house since my youngest daughter has been visiting and baking up a storm - cheesecake to last months in in the freezer and Melanie's freezer too! Such is life as a food blooger for her - she leaves for home today. All of your projects look so good! I had not heard of raking a pond but that makes sense why dump in chemicals unless you really need to. I go through garden gloves like crazy and still even though I will have some fairly new on my hands the dirt seems to seep through to under my nails

laura bruno lilly said...

That shade of orange on the daylillies is gorgeous...and if you were a 'clean' gardener, I'd be suspicious of labeling yourself as a gardener!

Julierose said...

Love your little blocks quilt on your wall--very nice work..all my Summer flowers are done; hoping to get some mums to brighten up the yard and deck this week...resting from my fold-a-thon...4 days straight--wow and now i am crooked over hahaha hugs, Julierose

Radka said...

Now the summer is slowly coming to the end, I am looking forward to more gardening (which probably sounds funny, but the summer was just too warm to get really busy) and planting some new perennials.
I love the colour of your daylillies!
xx

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Gardening sounds like a good thing to do - your daylilies are beautiful! Glad you're still working on your snapshot blocks, and the flag blocks, too - they would definitely be good for leaders and enders.

Jenny said...

Lucky you, a gift of two beautiful lavender bushes. I just love the scent of lavender. Your flags are coming along nicely, I know it's only a small thing, but they look so different on point!

Nancy J said...

Lovely lavenders, and collagen, I will be waiting to see if your hair benefits. Baking and frozen goodies, they are so wonderful, our younger daughter was here for 12 days, and I had a TOTAL rest from evening meals and lunches. Spoilt totally, now back to reality.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Who knew that you could rake algae and seaweed. I never! And thank you for doing it rather than using chemicals. Hmm, collecting seeds and dividing plants. That sounds like a FABULOUS goal for the week. I have several plants that need dividing as well . . . but I don't know about any seeds I could collect. I'm awaiting the collagen verdict, but I can be patient. And those lavender plants look lovely - I've been meaning to plant some Russian sage. Thanks for linking up this week. ~smile~ Roseanne

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those orange day lilies sure are pretty and it looks like that scarf is going to be a good one!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

i find EVERYTHING on Utube. Day lilies are my very favorite garden flower. I have so many different colors of them and most bloom at just a little different times so I enjoy them from the end of June to mid August. A friend with a marvelous garden told me that if a flower blooms in the spring or very early summer you divide or transplant it in the fall. If it blooms in the fall then you move or divide in the spring. I have followed that advice and have never had a problem. My algae is the blanket type that lays on the bottom and swirls through the water when disturbed. I resorted to adding Muck Buster today. It has active Barley and helps debree decompose on the bottom including algae. If you can believe it, some of our trees are already shedding leaves. I try to skim them out of the pond before they sink but it's a loosing battle. I fear we will have an early autumn. your quilt projects are lovely.
xx, Carol

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Those lilies are so pretty! Remind me of the ones my mother used to grow in her garden.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's a great day when you have to wash your hair to clean your fingernails!!!

Kate said...

Hope this week was as productive as last week (with much less dirt under your nails).

K Reeves said...

We have those orange daylilies too, they bloom and bloom! I want some lavender, it would smell heavenly!

OFFER said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.