Thursday 15 August 2019

Flowers Everywhere

The weather has been-dare I say it- sublime.
We have enjoyed many ideal weather days in a row...sunny, warm temps and no humidity.  My weeding has slowed and now the cone flowers and sunflowers are blooming...and competing for space with those hydrangeas. They were definitely not crowded out like this last year. (Sorry didn't have time to do some photo cropping.)

This is the provincial bird of my home province of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Atlantic Puffin. (About 95% of North America's puffins breed around the coasts there.) And the photo was taken by Candace Mugford near where my dad lived and distributed by CBC. He is holding wild iris we called Blue Flag growing up.  These birds have such a permanent cute expression, don't they.
See the source image
This was interesting. I've mentioned sighting the little fox around the pond.
 He was there one morning getting a drink when I did my early walkabout and I got a couple of photos...albeit from far away.  I think it is the same fellow who took a nap in our driveway.  Look at how much of the pond dried up in July's heat.
I've been chicken watching for daughter and sil while they were on their annual trip to Newfoundland.  My reward was fresh eggs which are so good. We've thought of having a few here, something |I always wanted.  But with so many fox I'm not sure they would fare well unless we had a substantial enclosure for them.

These are my last basket blocks...a few of the yellowish ones. They are freezer paper appliqued if you're wondering and l last count I had made over 60. Time to think of getting them joined up.
That's my summer caftan I wear most mornings. I just love the sunflowers and the shades of colours throughout.  Tula and Kaffe would approve. :)
August redwork block from Kathy Schmitz  features sunflowers too. I'm now spying them blooming reaching atop fences, such a happy country sight.
Our August everyday living has been quiet and enjoyable here in the wooden house, festooned outside as it is by all the green and blooming things.
 We too are lamenting the back to school signs...it is all such a rush out there it seems.
                              See the source image
I hope your veil is affording you views of happiness.
So happy as always to link up with Not Afraid of ColorNeedle and Thread NetworkMy Quilt InfatuationThe Jesh StudioBusy Hands Quilts,  Floral Friday FotoViewing Nature With Eileen and My Bijou Life


18 comments :

Nana said...

How lovely those flowers and the fox!!!

Nana

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such beautiful plants! Your hydrangea is so beautiful and large - I'm not sure what happened to mine this year - it didn't grow as tall and not near the amount of blooms it used to be. Of course we have very hot afternoons and this is in full afternoon sun but it is an old plant and I hate to transplant to a place it could have morning sun/afternoon shade - we will see

Nancy J said...

Lovely garden and lawn. Back to school, all those Mums will have to run to a timetable in the mornings, I so welcomed the holidays those many years ago.Happiness, those words are so true.

LA Paylor said...

hydrangeas and coneflowers... a very pretty combo. Your stitching is really nice too, Hi to the pups! Give them a cookie from me.
Foxes are beautiful from a distance...

Roseanne said...

Hi Jocelyn! So true, your happiness saying. There is a lot of happiness out there to find if you are looking and have the blinders off. The outside of your house looks so peaceful and welcoming. I can hear the quiet surrounding you. And that fox! Yes, chickens would have to be well surrounded for that guy and his buddies to not get at them. ~smile~ Roseanne

Julierose said...

Your hydrangeas are beautiful...and i just love your little baskets...
hugs, Julierose

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those flowers sure are pretty and that fox seems to be watching you watching him!

Junieper/Jesh said...

Great to see your summer! Agree-the puffins are very cute:) Gorgeous flowers! Yeah, when you're chicken watching, it's good to keep an eye on the fox! Hope to see you back soon at All Seasons!
If you have forgotten my url it's the next line (separated, but of course you know to put it all together:) Have a great weekend!)
the jesh studio (.) wordpress (.) com

piecefulwendy said...

I'd would love to see puffins in the wild; they are so cute! You have a beautiful yard with all those lovely flowers!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love the fabric of your summer caftan. Beautiful colors! The puffins are adorable! I love the expression on their little faces. We have a family of foxes in our neighborhood. I haven't seen them lately. Love your flowers!

PaintedThread said...

My veil has been working better lately. :-) Puffins are so cute. Your fox looks long-legged. I like the colors of your baskets and caftan. Enjoy the rest of summer!

Out To Pasture said...

Is that cute wee puffin offering his sweety an iris bouquet? You are so lucky to spot your elegant little fox neighbour. My foxes are more secretive. And your flowers and fabrics are lovely, Jocelyn. Another eye-treat post.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh Jocelyn I love seeing your garden and home! So lovely! The puffins are adorable! :) Your projects are really coming along this summer--can't believe how many baskets you've made already!!! Wow! Have a wonderful day!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your garden and yard are so beautiful, Jocelyn! Love the view of the fox, too. I love your pretty redwork block - my newest embroidery is done in a variegated red and I think I will enjoy that!

Miaismine said...

What a lovely and peaceful looking outdoor space you have! Your redwork caught my eye. It's stunning. Yes, fresh eggs are the best....thank you for sharing your lovely corner of the world!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love that puffin photo - they look like such fun birds. Your garden looks so lush, despite the lack of rain at the moment.

K Reeves said...

August has been wonderful here too, not so hot as it could be, and almost restful. I am ready for school to start, it means I will have a regular daily schedule again, which I am looking forward to. Having that part time job this summer was a blessing, but it sure mixed up my days, I'm going to be happy when the season ends, though its probably the combination of garden and job! :)
Your puffin picture is adorable, and your garden is just lovely.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Those hydrangeas are so pretty and large! I've never seen Puffins before so that photo is like a painting. I need a caftan and yours is so cheery in the morning-perfect. I sure like your garden photo-peaceful and lovely.
This was such a fun post. Thank you.