Friday 7 April 2023

Free Patterns, EPP Quilt , Joining A QAL

I'm late posting because we just had a horrible Ice Storm that knocked out power. More about that next time.

My doggy daycare has been going well. Daughter reports her dogs are tired and put themselves to bed early these days which means they are getting their exercise here. These aren't their real beds...I know one sleeps with Robbie and one with the adults every night. LOL

Daughter has been seeing a physiotherapist and finding his advice on exercises working out well. She is finally feeling some improvement from that horrible adductor tear injury, thankfully.

 LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week was what did we get for Easter treats growing up. We always had those straw baskets with flimsy handles and covered with coloured cellophane. I would share the small candy eggs with my sister because she had a sweet tooth. There was always a new Easter outfit with a hat and white gloves to wear to church and a large meal afterwards. It made Easter a special time once the drabness of Good Friday was over. BTW, does anyone remember that t.v. for Good Friday was just movies or shows having to do with Good Friday? Imagine that!

I've stitched a bunch more of the EPP Plus blocks, this time in blues. These are a little addictive and are mounting fast. 

I've also stitched together dark blues for a border for the Wheels quilt.  Since there's definitely enough scrappiness in the colours of the quilt itself, I'm keeping the border simple. 
I mentioned I have purchased the pattern to join Sandra's QAL at mmm quilts. This will be a real test. Can I follow a whole lot of printed instructions involving math and measuring both of which bore and befuddle me? Even those as wonderfully well written as Sandra's. I guess we'll see. I think I can manage the very first part, picking out the fabrics...though that can get muddled as well sometimes. I'll show you some choices on Monday and see what you think.



Thursdays' Three Free

If interested in piecing blocks...

At the Fat Quarter Shop there are the block patterns and tutorials for a 2017 QAL they called the Bella Skill Builder. I should be stitching this one because of all the expert help with accuracy. Hmmm, teals and pinks are pretty.

Moda Blockheads Round 4  Far as I could tell there are patterns at that link for 27 blocks designed by various designers plus bonus blocks found at that link. I liked the block by Jan Patek and it stands out as the only one featuring applique.

And the wonderful AGF site provides many free patterns including this one for a table runner using Hyper Nature fabric by Pat Bravo.  Art Gallery Fabrics

I cannot forget my slow stitching pals, here is the link to Gathered's free Cross Stitch Dog Patterns by Kate Mawdsley. There are 10 of them there including this cute little guy. There are cat patterns there too, btw.

My little camera, the Olympus Tough, that was good for Macro photos, has died. We tried everything, including at the very end, dropping it but nothing has revived it. What's a little bit humorous is when I turn it on, it makes a sad creaking/groaning noise like it's saying, I'm done. It served me well. I'm debating replacing it with the updated version, three versions later now. It's still getting good reviews for macro photography which was why I chose it in the first place.

Hope you are all safe and comfortable whoever is reading this.

Linking with Brian's Home BlogKathy's QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than HouseworkSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts and Quilting Patchwork Applique.


18 comments :

Yvonne said...

Hope your daughter's injury will improve soon. Lovely plus pattern. Hope you don't have to much damage, the bad weather in your area was on the news in the Netherlands too.....

Deb A said...

Sorry to hear you lost power due to the storm. Those puppies sure do look tuckered out! Too funny that they need an early bedtime after being with you during the day. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Nancy J said...

A new camera, that's exciting, even if the old one was a trusty friend.I have small hands so when I chose my Canon 550D I had to hold each model and find one that fitted well.One store wouldn't even bother to bring another out of the cabinet for me, so we walked to another where they gave me every model to try. Sadly, that store closed last week .The QAL, you will be fine, and Sandra is always so helpful if you need some advice. Looking forward to seeing your fabrics. 6C outside this morning!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry to hear you had an ice storm - getting late in the season hope winter is almost over for you - from what I remember on your blog in the past it seems like it is winter one day and the next gone.
Yes I remember it seems like Good Friday was always religious theme movies

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those ice storms are horrible, we sure don't like those here. Awwww, those pups are so darn cute and I'm glad the doggy daycare is going well. I'm glad to hear that maybe your daughter can get some relief soon. Love that cross stitch dog, so darn cute. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Oops, I meant to say Happy Easter from all of us!

Jenn Jilks said...

Good work on doggie daycare!
I'm glad your power came back on. Our kids lost power for a couple of days.
Ours came back in the evening.
Happy needling! I so admire your work.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Ice storm, yikes! Glad you are okay! Also glad to hear your daughter is somewhat improving! I know it is helpful to her to have you dogsit and wear the kids out! The plus-es are really coming along! Wishing you a safe and happy and WARM Easter! Hugs!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I don't recall doing much for Easter when I was a kid beyond getting a chocolate Easter bunny (always hollow which I thought was a real downer). I wasn't much for candy then and so I would eat a little piece every day and it would last me for at least a month. No Easter shows to watch on tv because we didn't have one until I was in high school.
Thank you for the fun links but just a heads' up, the link to mmm quilts isn't working.
Happy Easter!

PaintedThread said...

Ice storms are no fun! I hope your daughter continues to heal. I'm enjoying your pluses. Happy Easter.

Linda said...

Wow on the ice storm! I hope it is the last of wintry precip for you. I laughed when I read about the dogs sleeping with family. Boomer would take over my spot if we let him. ;) Love your paper pieced crosses. I hear you on the printed instructions. Mine don't even involve math, and I have to read and re-read and every time, I still get something wrong. Have a happy Easter!

Mary said...

Those ice storms are nasty things. Hope there wasn’t too much damage. The dogs all look played out. That activity is so good for them AND the humans. Beautiful + blocks. It’ll be fun to watch it grow. Easter also brought a new white sweater when we were younger.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

So glad you have your power back. I hate when the power goes out. I hope your daughter continues to feel better. I love those free patterns you found. Thank you and have a Happy Easter!

LA Paylor said...

ooooo those two tired labs! so sweet Where does Ned sleep? in my recent book, the couple had just washed their bedding and were putting it back when they noticed a gray rectangle. What's that? then the lab leapt to the bed as they were looking, and curled up in that spot exactly! The husband said he's so dirty he makes the pad dirty under layers of fabric!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Glad your daughter is improving from her injury, and also that the dogs are doing well at your house, too. Ice storm and power outages are no fun, however! I've participated in several of Sandra's QALs and always like her directions for construction of blocks. I've made the first house block, and it went together nicely!

CathieJ said...

Your doggy daycare comment made me smile. You must be doing a good job keeping the pups busy. I am glad your daughter is feeling somewhat better. I like your plus signs. Enjoy your stitching.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Warm Easter memories. Our Easters were quite similar. I had to smile remembering the flimsy but colorful Easter baskets. Your EPP project is looking fabulous.

Janice said...

Some nice links there. Enjoy the QAL