Thursday 13 April 2023

Free Patterns, Lone Star Medallion, Stitching Stars

 I spied this mug among the mark downs at Winners the last time I was there. Still a bit expensive but I recognized the design. Sure enough when I turned it over to look at the maker, it said Rifle Paper Co, a fabric designer I enjoy. I used their Holiday Classics line for a quilting project two years ago. I think that is the same design there in the upper left. Beautiful fabric but costly. The mug is also beautifully made with gold trim.


 I didn't know they produced so many items featuring their marvelous designs- planners, vases, dishes, gift cards and gifts of all kinds including for Mother's Day.  Rifle Paper Co if you'd like to see lovely things.

SIL gave me these tulips for Easter. It's been nice to have a little flowery colour in the house.
LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is are we a morning or night person? I was never a night person except when work or various deadlines loomed. These days I am a confirmed morning person and usually have my 20 minute walk with Ned done by 8 am. 
This now definitely applies to us. Does it to any of you???
This, the Lone Star Medallion, is now sandwiched and in my floor hoop. Made a mere start last night. Going to be lovely slow stitching- talking about the feeling not necessarily my stitches. That's tulips there in the middle too. I always start in the center or as close as I can get to the center to begin the quilt stitching. A debate raged on one of my Facebook quilting groups about where should the start be made with some saying at one of the edges. What do you think?
I've discovered quilting star, Pat Sloan- I should say rediscovered. I subscribe to her channel and recently began listening to her videos. I realized I like the quilting projects she chooses and she moves them along quickly. But what I've enjoyed most is her upbeat tone and that happy little giggle she has. 

Thursday's Three Free

I've been looking for blocks to use in the house quilt project. It would be good for me to try to improve my machine stitching with whatever I choose. So challenge myself a little. I saw this block called Double Aster and thought it interesting though mesmerising to me in how it could be sewn.
The search led to a free pattern at the Quilters Cache.

From Jessica Dayon comes this beautiful free pattern she calls The Fidelity Quilt. I like how those white spaces work out well both inside and outside the block pieces.

Jessica is running a Block of the Week Scrappy Sampler quilt now. 
Here at Skein and Hook, Jessica's old blog, you can find free cute crochet patterns too.

Fans of Blackbird Designs is a site that features cross stitching stars, Barb and Alma's free cross stitch patterns over the years. Links are there to downloads like this one.
Let me know if any links are not working; I will try my best to connect you.

Well, the sun is shining, snow is melting, chipmunks have left their winter burrows, birds are singing and yesterday the Spring Peepers began their spring song down in the wetland area. All attempts at photographing them have failed so I'll leave you with another photo of the female Cardinal enjoying my seeds. 

Happy Thursday and Happy Stitching!

31 comments :

LA Paylor said...

for hand quilting, center out. Definitely to keep from ripples. And maybe it's personal... just center out always worked for me best.
I spent an amount of time at the pretty things store! thanks for that.
your bird photo is so good! Scritches to the handsome Ned

Angela said...

Wonderful photo of the cardinal!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I don't very often quilt in a hoop but when I do, I always start in the center. I love the picture of the Fidelity quilt, so beautiful. Have a wonderful day, happy stitching!

Libby in TN said...

Love, love LOVE the Aster block! Thanks for the link to the pattern. I am putting it high on my to-do list.

Nancy J said...

I am and always have been a fowl versus an owl. These days the mornings start a little more leisurely, well, slowly in reality, but come late afternoon I tend to droop. I hated afternoon exams at High school. The Lone Star, I, too, would start in the centre, and if there were any wrinkles, they would work out to the edge. Not that you will have any, I'm sure.Your birds arriving, peepers chirping or whatever they do, lovely spring announcements from feathered friends.A free block you might like, and there is a video sew along too, from Paula Storm Designs, Spinning Star block.I think it is a part of a QAL, but she used KF fabrics and it is freezer paper method.And as I have heaps of batik scraps, think it will be next.

Jenny said...

I'm pleased Spring has come to your part of the world. It must be such a delight after living through cold, snowy winters.
Your new hand quilting project looks lovely, I know you will enjoy your quiet stitching time.

Deb A said...

What a cheerful post and I love that lone star medallion quilt. I would think starting in the middle when in a hoop, but on the edge when on a frame for the start of quilting.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a pretty mug you found, Jocelyn! You have an eye for things like that. Beautiful tulips, too! Mine are going to bloom here one of these days. I'm happy to know that you're quilting your Lone Star medallion - it will be fun to see your progress. Quilter's Cache is an amazing resource - I find interesting blocks on it all the time. Thanks for sharing your fun finds!

PaintedThread said...

Ha! Midnight was always late for me, so 9am sounds good no matter what age I am. :-) Pretty tulips! Happy stitching with your Lone Star. Double Aster is a cool looking block.

grammajudyb said...

Cute mug! Isn’t it fun to see matching fabric? I like “ 9:00 is the new midnight” ! Lol!

I don’t hand quilt, but it would seem to me that starting in the middles is a good idea. I guess, whatever works for you? Do it!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm always surprised at how many people are early risers. To me I consider 7- 7:30 ok I'm not a morning exercise person either - I drag in the morning. I rarely go to bed before 11.

That is a pretty cup!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What a darling mug. Sometimes we just have to have a new mug; it just makes the beverage even more special. Such lovely tulips from your dear SIL. Your Lone Star Medallion quilt looks amazing. I always start n the center as well. Have a great weekend.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Way back when I hand quilted, I always started in the center and worked outwards. That's the way I was taught by the elders. so many wonderful things on your blog today but I have to say, I love how you placed the tulips in the center of your quilt! I enjoy Pat Sloane too! Thanks again for thefree patterns! Have a great weekend!

Carol in Texas said...

Jocelyn, thank you so much for the Blackbird site! I spent some time there this morning and will include one of two of those free designs in future stitching. I just stitch too slowly to do all I’d like to do!!!! I’ve pretty much sidelined quilting for crossstitch lately. I do have a fall quilt underway…..I started it last September with a SAL from Piecing the Past. It is going slowly!!!! But I now have 4 or 5 crossstitch projects started and several things to make final projects of. I look forward to each of your blog posts, and I am amazed at all the interesting sites you mention for us to visit. Thank you for all you share.

Jenn Jilks said...

Isn't it wonderful!
I love your sewing work, so colourful and bright. Soon things will green up!

Jocelyn said...

I enjoy Pat Sloan too. I always love how she greets everyone "Hello my friends" Such a happy lady

Rosemary Dickinson said...

When I hand quilted, I always started in the center and worked my way out. On the longarm, I start at the top and work towards the bottom. But they're 2 different methods. I love your mug! What a great find! Gorgeous tulips! Thanks for the freebies!

Jackie said...

Such a pretty Lone Star Medallion. I never really thought about where I start quilting.... But usually it is an edge.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That coffee mug is very pretty and WOW on the Lone Star Medallion, gorgeous. Of course that little Cardinal is so cute!

Linda said...

First of all, thank you for correctly identifying my "starlings" as barn swallows! Judy also mentioned that my "starlings" looked nothing like hers, and so I made a correction on my post. My neighbor told us they were starlings, and I never thought to research it until yesterday. So I'll blame her - lol!
I love your Lone Star and will read the comments to see where quilting should be started. I'm thinking of hand quilting my Rose Colored Glasses project (but I might wimp out) and I'd also like to know where to start. What a wonderful find is that mug!

Janice said...

How good to find a cute mug to match your fabric. Enjoy working on your lone star quilting. Now that we are both not working, we are enjoying a more leisurely start to the day, rather than being rudely awakened by the alarm clock. No late nights here either. I also like Pat’s giggle and gave green checking out your links. Double Aster is an intriguing block.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've always heard that you should quilt from the center outwards, although I'm sure there are pros and cons to both methods.
Morning or night person? I don't think I'm either one so does that make me a 'nooner'?

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely mug rug, it's fun that it matches the fabric, which makes it precious! I don't hand quilt, and I will follow the discussion about where to start. By the way, your Lone Star Medallion is very pretty, have fun quilting it.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up today!

Müge said...

C’était un vrai plaisir de lire votre post plein d’optimisme et de joie! Merci beaucoup! 🌺

Michelle at https://mybijoulifeonline.com said...

The Lone Star us a beauty! And I love the Aster block. Beautiful photo of the female cardinal. They are a frequent visitor to our bird feeder.

Barwitzki said...

Nice mug... glad you found it... yes and nice patterns.
Great quilts you have in the works...I like learning skills with videos too...as there is no sewing group near me that's a good thing.
Kind regards from Viola
The cardinal is nice :-)))

Cloudia said...

So enjoyable to hang out with you!

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Your lonestar medallion looks great, I love the tulip fabric

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Such a cute mug! Love those fabrics and the other projects you shared. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

oh that lonestar!! amazing - and will be so beautiful!
What a fun mug !!

gladiquilts said...

I’ve been hand quilting for almost 30 years and agree with those who recommend hand quilting from the center outward so that any “ripples” have a chance of being pushed out to the edge and disappearing. LOVE the quote about 9:00 being the new midnight 😊. Actually I usually go to bed around 10 and am up by 5 most mornings - definitely a morning person!