Tuesday 25 April 2023

Rainbow Purple House, Strawberry Pattern, Gardening Chores

 Inside too there is more green and also white growth. I like how the white Polka Dot plant is becoming more dotty with the longer minutes of light. Like its true self is emerging.  It makes such a difference!

I cleaned several windows outside and liked how the outdoor greens were blending with the greens inside. I use a 3 step stool...don't feel comfortable going any higher these days.
I did get some items on my last Tuesday's To Do list done. I spent a couple of hours also cleaning and tidying the garage. I cleaned the inside of the car at the same time. Sure feels good when these chores are done.
 This week's chores include Ned's vet appointment to get his tick medicine and checkup. That's tomorrow. Great to have that done too as we are officially in tick season. Ugh! On that outing we'll go through a car wash so the outside of the car will match the inside. And pick up some grass seed too. Where the dogs have been playing ball, the grass has taken a bit of a beating. 

Now about the weekend stitching...
I said I'd learn a lot taking part in the Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL. Here is Lesson #2, Accuracy is so important in piecing blocks... I don't have to tell you seasoned quilters this. But me...I need reminders! I'm careless about this aspect of quilting, always wanting to hurry it up. Someone mentioned to me one simple way to improve accuracy was to attach this special seam tape to my machine to help maintain the quarter inch seam. 

Ordered off Amazon and already feel it is helping. It provides a sort of runway up to the needle. I received four rolls from here if you'd like to check it out.

Also reminding myself to not drift off when ending a sewing seam which I have a tendency to do. Ugh!

With that being said here is my purple house.  I had little purple fabric in my stash and was happy to find the piece with the magenta? flowering throughout it.

I did enjoy handling this pretty fabric and the search for a match among my meager solids. That being the pretty magenta/violet colour. Black bears have been sighted -alarmingly!- in the south Ottawa area which made me think of a Bear Claw simple block.
*Thank you to the quilters who've offered to help me and provided tips and suggestions. 💓 I love the supportive community I have found in our little corner of the web!!
 A huge thank you to Sandra of course for hosting this very successful Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL

I will start a little indoor planting this week too. The last spring frost can occur up to May 15 here so pointless to put things in the ground before that time frame. In my eagerness I have been known to start this process too early. I usually sprout marigolds, petunias and begonias for a couple of pots on the veranda.  This year I've got a little help having ordered a heating mat from Amazon...taking good advice from Texas Quilt Gal, Linda.
 Hopefully it will speed up the sprouting and encourage more of the seeds to sprout too.
And for you, when I mentioned Pat Sloan HERE, I had intended and forgot to include one of her free patterns to stitch cute strawberries. 
That's a season we look forward to...fresh strawberries are so good...mouth watering as I write that. The PDF is found at this link...

Anyone planting strawberry plants?  We have a strawberry farm in the nearest town 10 minutes from us so I haven't bothered with trying to grow them.
 It probably would be a challenge with all the wildlife traffic through the garden. Like these herbivorous beauties who stroll through almost daily.
Hope you and yours will have a wonderful week!

18 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I use that tape on the sewing machine too for the quarter inch but I'm still not precise enough! lovely plants and deer. I need to get my windows cleaned too around the outside edges and the window panes - I'm afraid I need higher than 3 steps though to reach some of them so they might have to wait until the foot heals - and by then I will forget about them and do it in the fall!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I have trouble being consistent with my 1/4 inch seam, too - that tape looks useful. I think your purple house is delightful! It always feels good to get some spring cleaning done - I have that on my list as well. Glad you're getting more sunshine and everything is greening up. It's the same in Colorado - too soon to plant anything, but good to see lots more green out there.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I didn't know that tape existed so I will have to check into it further. 1/4" seams aren't my forte either (another good reason why I'm not a sane quilter!).
Love your purple house - one of my favourite colours.
I suspect you're right in assuming those pretty deer would eat strawberry plants. They can be destructive but make up for it in pretty.

Libby in TN said...

Yes, accuracy does make a difference. When I first started quilting I thought as long as I was consistent, what would it matter? Lesson learned! I have recently added that tape to the table on one of my machines. I mostly use it when stitching on either side of a drawn line. Otherwise I use Sewing Edge.

Jenny said...

We have a strawberry grower not too far away too. Nothing nicer than fresh strawberries although we will have to wait a while, its Autumn coming up for Winter here. Ticks, ugg. I'm not sure if we have ticks here but they do in Australia.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jocelyn well done for getting the windows and your car clean they are both on my list ,I love your house blocks it’s very pretty,hope you have a lovely day 🌹🤍🌹

cityquilter grace said...

i have some of that tape as well and find it very useful esp for sewing HSTs...

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your plants all look pretty and healthy and that purple house is beautiful. WOW, such a nice photo of the sweet deer.

PaintedThread said...

Deer are cute, but oh! they are so bad! I have wandering seams, too. That tape looks useful. I really like your latest block. It's so hard to be patient for planting outdoors. (And hoping my tomatoes seedlings aren't getting too leggy.)

Lorraine said...

The tape looks like a really good idea. Love your purple house and the strawberry pattern. We used to grow a little patch but it was hard to keep the birds out.

Linda said...

Your house block is so pretty. I tried and tried to use that tape and finally gave up on it - I couldn't get it positioned properly. So now I use the quarter inch foot that came with the Janome, and I am having much better luck with that. Of course it would help if I could sew straight - lol! I think you'll like that heat mat, I could see a difference in my plants when I used it. We have a pick-your own strawberry field about 30 miles away but have not visited it. My husband is not fond of long lines and muddy fields. ;)

Lin said...

My windows need cleaning but it will keep raining which is putting me off. We too have a mid May frost curfew - always tempting to put things out when the sun is shining but temperatures can easily drop at night. Lovely to see your deer - our only wild life is next doors hedgehog! xx

Jenn Jilks said...

That is fine work that you do! Great you can get support and new ideas. I cannot sew a straight line...
Our deer have disappeared, for the most part.
The Ottawa bear was at my grandies' high school! Right in their neighbourhood.

grammajudyb said...

I use that tape all the time. But I really like it for sewing 1/4 inch on either side of the diagonal line for HSTs. It helps a lot! I tried strawberries but between the bunnies and the birds my yield was not great. A few for us, the rest for the birds and bunnies! I’m giving them to a neighbor who just wants ground cover! They will suit her need just fine!

Sandra Walker said...

I just love your purple house! That is Tula Pink purple fabric I believe. I have (or had) some! I love that some people are NOT making the 11 star blocks on the side of the house but doing different ones. I miss deer, despite them being annoying at eating things I did not want them to eat; we had lots in Alberta and moose too, who annihilated my strawberry patch one year. We rarely see deer down here; think the greenhouses may play a part with their sunshine-bright lights on all night...

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Jocelyn, I have the same problem, especially at the end of the seams. It's like I can stop worrying about being accurate since I'm almost finished! I love your house. I'm going to look into that tape. thanks!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

love your little purple house!! hopefully the bear claw will scare any real bears away!!! But keep your deer - so pretty!!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Cute little house block. You know I love purple! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.