Monday 10 April 2023

Three Somethings to Enjoy And One Not So Nice

 Are you a jump out of bed, feet on the floor the minute your eyes open in the morning, person?  I'm not and never have been though I don't linger long. I wait a bit and these days I do a little stretching. In particular I've been stretching  my plantar fascia before putting my feet to the floor. A month ago I didn't know this existed! I almost feel like my left foot has let me down because I now have some tightening of the p f there. Not painful but an uncomfortable awareness of it. The good news is just this little bit of massaging in the mornings has made any issue with it almost disappear. However, I will have to keep it up. But it's a sign folks...I'm sporting a 71 year old model here. LOL

Something Beautiful

I've shown Phoebe's watercolours here before. Thought I'd share another work of hers. Lady Winter by Phoebe Wahl...As a hopeful so long to winter 2023.

And here is a video of Phoebe speaking about her life and work. She was "unschooled" as a child, an interesting concept.

Something Stitchy 
I've wanted to make a house quilt forever. And since deciding to construct a Rainbow Neighbourhood, I had to choose the fabrics I want to use for it. I've had this bundle from Laundry Basket Quilts a long time, ever fearful to cut into it. I take it out from time to time and admire it. 
When I looked through it this time, I realized it had fabrics for each of the primary colours so would make up the Rainbow aspect of the QAL. So right, its' time has come! That was the first and easy part.  
Along the way, I found a piece of fabric with butterflies that I've been wanting to use forever.  So a practice house I'm calling the Butterfly House was built because I'm longing for spring. You will have to take my word for it that the colours in the butterflies are the same as the pink reddish front there and also grey of the roof is in there too. I still have to give the appliqued butterfly its antennae. And yes, I know it all together is a bit OTT. And I'm disappointed the beautiful red/pink of that fabric is not showing true to colour. It is so pretty. 
Question: Should I change the door fabric to a solid black or dark brown to tone down the OTT?
This was not easy machine piecing for me. I made at least three mistakes and had to rip out and redo. Always so much to learn! But it was okay enough I will try another one this week. Maybe I'll stitch a star next time or a flower, whatever strikes my fancy. This block is large and I did waffle on the size which is 16 inches, but in the end, stuck with that. Ned says I don't know what the heck we're doing out here but I'll just sit awhile and enjoy this sun.


Something Funny
Something I'm Sick and Tired Of
I'm not going to talk about our recent ice storm as I'm sick and tired of talking about the weather and especially tired of having to deal with it. What freaked me out was thunder and lightening while freezing rain was falling! So bizarre and that went on for hours-have never experienced thunder lasting so long. Okay so I had to say something about it. :D Here's a  photo I took -everything coated in ice. 
Sun is cheering today and we have the promise of well above freezing temperatures all this week. Hallelujah! Top of my To Do list this week is not stressing as much about things out of my hands. Like weather, and all the rest of it. 
Hope you are all calm and relaxed and enjoying your week!


21 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your butterfly house is wonderful, Jocelyn! I like door matching the trim around the butterfly block, too. So glad you gave the house block a try! Wishing you warmer, sunnier days, and definitely no more ice storms. 😘

Nancy J said...

Reading your post today is a tonic!!! Love the ice photo, and above freezing is a good way to be, like our GP told Hugh years ago, " Any morning that you can put two feet on the floor is good " !!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I don't normally jump right out of bed and hit the ground running but it often depends on when I've managed to get to sleep. We normally get up around 8 but often I don't get to sleep til closer to 3.
It would be fun if all the houses you need could feature a flutter-bye but I don't suppose you have enough different ones for that.
Very glad that if you had to get all that ice that your power stayed on!

Jackie said...

What a lovely house quilt block. I think the door is perfect the way it is.

I have never heard of "unschooling" before, but if the young lady got into University she must have gotten enough schooling to pass her tests to enter.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Lady Winter really is very pretty and I like your Butterfly House. Ned, keep having that sun fun. Hey, ice storms are horrible, we never ever like them!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

while ice looks beautiful on the trees we know the havoc it creates so therefore we do not want it!! We have gone through it more times than I can count here in the south and understand what you are talking about.
Yes take care of you feet - I'm a 70 year old model and going through stress fractures in one of feet and a walking is on my foot for 4-6 weeks!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Wishing you WARM WEATHER my dear friend! Enough is enough! I have Plantar F. and use an insert the podiatrist gave me and it helps stretch it out and keeps me comfortable. Hope you find some relief for yours soon! Thanks for the neat photos and websites! Can't wait to see that house quilt..your first block is wonderful!

Deb A said...

Thats a stunning photo with the ice! I have to stretch out the ankle/feet every morning as well lately. I've injured my Achilles tendon twice and I don't want to go through that healing process again! Hope your heel pain heals up quickly. Love the house. I'd leave the door as is, it is very cheerful. Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

I too have suffered plantar fasciitis. An insert from a podiatrist helped me too! And never wearing high heels again!!
I really like the butterfly door!! I say let it stay!

Jenn Jilks said...

I usually jump out of bed! I certainly don't have your amazing needle skills, though!

Susie H said...

I think your butterfly house is perfect! Love your new header too. So many pretty things on your blog always.

Kat said...

PF is a pain in the…foot. I have it too. Good that you are doing the stretching. Mine came out of nowhere, and I’ve had it for four years. Your little butterfly house practice block is lovely.

Enough of winter. Glad you are safe and the weather warmed up a bit.

MissPat said...

Your butterfly house block looks fine. I would leave the door just as it is. I laughed out loud at the photo of the woodchuck getting a back rub.
Pat

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Yay for finally digging into those Laundry Basket Quilt fabrics! Don't you love it when things just fall into place!?!? (ah well, aside from the bit of ripping that followed but we'll forget about that!)

PaintedThread said...

Thunder, lightning and ice. Not a good combo! The ice coating is pretty, though. Your butterfly house is pretty cool!

Janice said...

You always post such interesting little tit bits, like Winter Lady. She is beautiful. So is your Laundry Basket fabric collection. Enjoy finally playing with them. I can’t imagine an ice storm and the havoc I imagine one creates. It does however make for a stunning photo.

Carol Andrews said...

Hi Jocelyn. Like you I am so tired of winter. We had snow here the night before last. It wasn't as treacherous (or as pretty as your ice storm) but im so done with it. I decided I'm going to continue with life as if it is spring and took down our winter carport yesterday. I so enjoy seeing Phoebe Wahl's work on your blog. Your house block for Sandra's Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL is beautiful. I love the butterfly block. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday. I hope this week has been filled with fabric fun, inspiration and some nice spring weather for you.

Sandra Walker said...

Well I just love this one too with the butterfly on the side! I’m surprised you did keep to the large blocks after all but glad you haven’t created any more headaches in building them than you seem to have already got! Know that just nine will make a wonderful throw—even with a mere 2” sashing and border it will be 56” square!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Jocelyn, I really like your OTT house - I would keep the butterfly door :-)
I haven't done my second house yet but hope to make it tomorrow. I hope that it's the last of the snow storms and yes, the thunder and lightening was pretty wild coming with snow and sleet. Hope you have a good rest of the week and thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love your house - not sure on the door - since the block is 16” it may be fine. I thought maybe white, but that would not work. You may have finished with your decision by now. But either way I love the block!

Chookyblue...... said...

can you tell what you are doing for PF just in case you have something to do that I don't do.......I'm an early riser and I love to get up straight away but im in foot pain as soon as my feet hit to floor until they *get going*