Thursday 27 April 2023

Free Patterns, EPP Scrappy Plus Quilt, Turkeys, First Flowers

The first and only flowers in the garden to open so far are these miniature Daffodils. They popped up in an area full of low growing shrub used for hedges - I don't know the name but may be Juniper. But I think the thick shrub kept them protected somehow during the adverse spring weather. 
The turkeys have been walking through lately and I was quite taken with this male travelling with four females. Wow to all those feathers!
He is surprisingly colourful with blue around his eyes and an interesting red as well. I'll say again I'm astonished by the tiny head in comparison to the large body.
LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week was do we speak another language. Sadly no, but I am taking French lessons still online with Duolingo...I'm up to Unit 8 now going slowly because I am repeating lessons. French is an official language of Canada and I'd love to improve...better late than never. What about you?

In my sewing room I've been working on my orange house. Most of my time has been spent sewing the little block because I'm stitching it by hand. It's just a 6 inch block so it shouldn't take long. 

I've also made great headway with the EPP Scrappy Plus Quilt.It is so boring to show you more of the single pluses. I couldn't resist sewing some together to see how it would look. I'm stitching these at night watching tv so grabbed a photo in there...not a great shot but you can get the idea at least. Love EPP!
Another great way to use up scraps...  This free Scrappy Irish Chain quilt pattern by Jessie Fincham is the perfect choice. Jessie shares how to turn scraps into 18 inch squares to easily create this quilt. I'm going to look more closely at this pattern to see how that works.
Pieces of the Past is running a free BOW starting May 15. It features scrappy (or not) Dresdens and is called Dresden Picnic
 Yarnspirations is an amazing site for free patterns in knitting, crochet, embroidery, sewing, etc. like this really delicate Tea Cup to cross stitch.


I do enjoy Mary's way of explaining feelings. 

“Ten times a day something happens to me like this - some strengthening throb of amazement - some good sweet empathic ping and swell. This is the first, the wildest and the wisest thing I know: that the soul exists and is built entirely out of attentiveness.”
― Mary Oliver

Hope your week is ending on a high note!

24 comments :

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great picture of Mr Turkey! I am relearning French on Duolingo too. I’m on section 5 lesson 14. I do a few lessons every day. Our daffodils are still blooming and other flowers are appearing too. Nice to see the perennials coming to life. Your plus signs look wonderful!

Angela said...

I had a turkey in my backyard once. It totally freaked me out!

LA Paylor said...

wow to the turkey. They are so beautiful up close aren't they? Nature is so beautiful, we should take better care of our world!
I studied French when I lived in Canada, but will check out duolingo.
dh tasked me with learning more German, and he'll work on French, but between you and I, his pronunciation is sketchy!
LeeAnna

Jenny said...

That certai ly is a great big male turkey! Is he puffing his feathers out to look even more impressive?

grammajudyb said...

That is one handsome Tom turkey! I, for one, think you are doing swimmingly on your rainbow neighborhood. Thanks for the links to the patterns! I like that tea cup!

Libby in TN said...

You always post the most interesting things! Complete with links. Your plusses are coming right along.

Brian's Home Blog said...

The daffodils sure are pretty and that's an amazing turkey photo. Of course the quilts are totally beautiful!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love daffodils - they're such a happy flower! And that turkey is quite amazing. I love your orange house, and also the plus quilt. Those are really pretty colors!

PaintedThread said...

Your orange house is going to look great! Those plusses look terrific together. I had to repeat French lessons, too, when I tried using Rosetta Stone. It makes sense at the time, but it doesn't stick.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

That turkey looks so colorful! We have a group of turkeys that walk around our neighborhood but they don't look your turkey. This group is a little scary. I wouldn't get it their way! Your projects are coming along very nicely. Love those free projects!

Nancy said...

Your plus blocks look great, Jocelyn. You are so patient to stitch them all by hand.
Your turkey looks like he could be very threatening if anyone tried to mess with his ladies.
Your orange house looks great. I especially like the star block to its left!

Sandra Walker said...

Oh that is so good. What I said out loud when I read the Mary Olive (LOVE LOVE her) quote. I will write that down. Love your orange house developments! I also really like that you are hand-piecing the stars! We've seen a few turkeys around here too - one had their wings outstretched like a vulture...maybe it was a turkey vulture? We were in the car, so just had a passing glimpse.

Laura said...

I love watching the toms this time of year! They really are colorful and handsome and fun to watch! I think that you are pretty quick with those plus blocks! I have been studying my Dad's maternal side of the family...they are French Canadian and I have been learning so much history (but not the French language). I am very grateful for Google Translate! :)

Michele McLaughlin said...

Wow that turkey is sure handsome! So glad you finally have some flowers blooming! Yippeee! I love your plus piece and the color arrangements! Love these houses you've been making! As always, thanks for the free patterns! Hugs!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely daffodils, et j'adore ta maison orange ;) Les blocs Plus sont très réussis également ! You are very brave to learn French, as it's not an easy language.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up today!

Chookyblue...... said...

that turkey is stunning all puffed up..........but OMG I have guinea fowl and turkeys and guinea fowl both have ugly heads......stunning colours but ugly....

Chookyblue...... said...

I forgot to add those daffodils are always so happy........I don't get cold enough here to grow them.......

Linda said...

Maybe you could do a video to demonstrate your Newfoundland accent! :D Love the handsome Mr. Turkey. Your plus quilt is quite beautiful.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

My goodness - that turkey is impressive! Wish I had a dollar for each of his feathers.
I'm liking your 'plus' quilt - obviously a great use for scraps.
Thank you for the links, but just a wee note...the link to 'Yarnspirations' is coming up with an error.

Miaismine said...

Your daffodils are beautiful! One day I’ll plant bulbs in my garden as well!
That turkey looks so majestic!
Kudos to you for learning a new language! I am building my Spanish literacy skills by reading an adult chapter book in Spanish by Reyna Grande.
With all the detail in your hand-pieced orange house block, I can understand why it’s taken a bit longer to stitch.
To me it’s not boring at all to see your progress on your EPP Scrappy Plus Quilt! It’s beautiful and encourages me to continue on my own long-term projects! Please keep sharing!
The Scrappy Irish Chain quilt pattern looks really doable!
Thank you for sharing such a great post!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

It certainly looks like spring in your area with the gobbler strutting his stuff. We have been watching the fields for the turkeys in our area too. Your scrappy plus quilt looks amazing. Thank you for sharing info on the freebies. Have a great week.

Bonnie said...

I like your cute orange house. And good job on learning a new language. I took many years of Spanish and still can say a little bit but not all that much. Adios!

Jackie said...

Mr. Turkey is huge!!!! I think I just might run away from him.

I love Yarnspirations!!!

God bless.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

What an interesting looking turkey! They do have tiny heads compared to their bodies! Love the daffodils. Alas ours left us in March. Now my glads are ready to bloom! Love the plus quilt as well as the house block! Great quote by Mary Oliver too! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings!