Tuesday 2 May 2023

Two Houses- One, Flower Power, Overwhelm Happens, Roguish Me

Rainy days do not get me down. That's good because we have had rain warnings with constant downpours for the last five days. Ned and I have gotten in our walks, me in raincoat and boots, Ned in his birthday suit.  Rainy days make me want to curl up and get cosy inside. How do they affect you?

Mary Anne created this sweet card below for a friend. She used paper scraps! How clever! She shows it in this Magpies Mumblings post where she also shares the reason why she doesn't sew clothes. Her story from high school left me dumbfounded about that home economics teacher-what was she thinking! 

In keeping with houses... here is the latest addition to my Rainbow Neighbourhood, an orange house or as I'm calling it, my Flower Power House. I was in university at the height of the Flower Power era in North America. When I saw Maureen McCormick's Flower Power for Moda line, I knew I had to have some of the prints just as a kind of souvenir of those wonderful days. Someone also asked and I had to dig to find this answer...the green is Kona's Tarragon. I picked it from stash as I thought it looked like a springish shade...there are probably more than 50 shades of green and often green can pose a problem to pick just the right one for a project. At least I find that. 

And that preamble leads me to another lesson to keep in mind in the sewing room. How many times do I have to tell myself this....Relax, take enjoyment in the process(and I am enjoying stitching these large houses now), take the time to look at the pretty shades and prints. It doesn't have to be perfect. Be okay with being a bad quilter too if that is what I am. So be it. 

But that last bit led me to the thought of why we want or have the desire to do something we may be bad/mediocre at...beats me.

I continued to take watercolour painting classes when I first came to Ottawa. Halfway through one of them, a student who was struggling became very upset, first crying then yelling. She accused the instructor of being a bad teacher because her painting was awful(so she declared). She was very angry and left the room in a state sobbing. Our poor instructor was horrified as were the rest of us. Btw, I thought the instructor just wonderful, both thorough and kind in her teaching. It would not have occurred to me to blame the teacher, especially such a sweetheart, for my own maybe questionable efforts. What do you make of that story? I guess Overwhelm happens, Frustration happens. 

This week work on the next Rainbow Neighbourhood house will begin.  I've a piece of grey and turquoise fabric with a chipmunk on it; I think it is Tula Pink. I checked online; yes it is Tula's Chipper in Mint line from 2015.

 I plan to coordinate that somehow with a few turquoise pieces in the stash to make my splashiest house so far. Wish me luck and do check back to see what I get up to with this! I am being a bit of a rogue where it comes to this QAL.
I am not raking outside yet and feel lucky we live where we can leave the lawns alone for a time. I like to leave things as they are till the overwintering critters can crawl away or whatever. But there is lots to do inside, always. 
 Here is one of my little "chippers"; three tiny ones appeared one day last week fresh from their den.

25 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I personally haven't taken classes but a quilter than I knew had been in a workshop where the quilt instructor insisted everyone do the block exactly as she said and was very domineering about it - one person just couldn't work that way and started to do it how it was more comfortable for her - the quilt instructor started to actually ridicule how she was doing her work and as she left to check out another students work the one who had been made fun of packed up her work and left and never came back. I thought there must have been another way for the instructor to handle that other than making fun of someone.

WE are to be in rain chances all next week plus high humidity so it looks to be a sweaty upcoming week.

Yvonne said...

I love those little chipmunks, can watch them for hours, I wish we had them here in the Netherlands. Looks like your Spring has not arrived yet just like here. Weather is still cold, but we are happy to have some sunshine now and then.
Your house block is lovely, curious about the next one!

MissPat said...

There are no bad quilters, Jocelyn, just developing and improving ones. And I certainly wouldn't call you a bad quilter at all. You do wonderful work on your quilts and needlework. We're having another stretch of cold, rainy weather. Spring just doesn't seem to want to set down roots. At least things are greening up.
Pat

Nancy J said...

How can teachers ,tutors and others be so critical? It would be so much better to give gentle remarks, and then show how to change if that is needed. Your skirt???: Your Mum must have been SO angry. My Mum didn't throw anything away, and I am the same. Not quite the Black Belt hoarder, but close.Your homes are so lovely, and to know the origin of the fabrics, a huge bonus.

Jenny said...

I can relate to your comment, "it doesn't have to be perfect". I enjoy doing patchwork but know that I won't always have perfect points and such. I'm not a perfectionist, just do the best I can, and that's fine with me. As the saying goes, "a blind man would be pleased to see it". Just as well I don't have my heart set on winning any ribbons at a quilt show!

Juliana said...

I rarely comment, but I enjoy your blog so much and sometimes I like to tell you so. I love your house block, and I can't wait to see what you do with the Tula Pink chipmunk fabric. I now live in Detroit, Michigan, and I do not ever see chipmunks. We have black squirrels (and grey ones), but I have not seen any chipmunks. I miss them. (I used to live in New Hampshire and had tons living in my stone wall.)

Jackie said...

I can remember my HomeEc teacher measuring the seams of any clothing to make sure they were exactly the same all the way down. She also checked our seam finishes.... The points of our darts had to be exactly right as well. I still sew clothing though I don't follow her rules. We all really disliked her but had the same teacher for our entire 5 years (4 years in my case as I moved).

Nothing needs to be perfect, and I am quite content with the way most things turn out. Though there is a collar on a coat that I made that always annoys me.

God bless.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

It's been raining here a lot too. We had downpours off and on all day. It doesn't bother. I still get everything done but I'm mostly indoors so it's fine. I once took a quilt class and you had to quilt on the longarm exactly like the instructor. Her pathway didn't make sense to me so I totally failed in that class. I never said anything to her but there are many different ways to get something done. Some ways are easier for some people. I tried not to let it bother me.

Daisy Debs said...

Oh I'd be delighted to those sweet chipmunks . We don't have them here in England . But we do have stoats ..they are cuties too ! 💐

Jenn Jilks said...

That art student must have had other issues. I know on my antigun range FB page someone blew up at council. She was going through a divorce, and her hubby died, and her inlaws were trying to steal her home.

Home Ec teachers, they can be something.
Great needlework. I admire it.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love your orange house!!!
and your does not follow directions meme made me laugh.. I totally get that!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Flower Power house is wonderful, Jocelyn! I'm one of the "process, not product" people - definitely as a quilter, but I was that way as a teacher, too. I had to grade student work, but I tried to take into account what I knew about that student, too. Magpie's story of the Home Ec teacher made me cringe. Love your chipmunk photo! All those wild residents of our yards are endlessly enjoyable to watch and share space with.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Why do we do things we may not be good at? We are creative and wish to express ourselves. What's good or not good is relative, and our opinion is the only one that counts. For me done is always better than perfect, although I do try to improve every day because I love quilting so. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. By the way, I have Chipper in purple on an olive background. So cute!

Susie H said...

I love rainy days but not too many in a row! But a day or two to recharge is just fine with me. Kind of like cleansing the soul. I will say that sometimes I might overthink my color choices when I quilt. After the decisions are made, I am definitely an "enjoy the process" quilter. I'm usually one of the slowest ones at a quilt class or retreat. But that is AOK with me!

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jocelyn my weather has gotten cooler but we haven’t had rain.
Your purple power house is beautiful ,I look forward to its progress ,yes I love Maryanne’s pics ,so much detailed work.
Oh that chipmunk is so cute we don’t get them in Australia,hope you have a lovely day 🌹🤍🌹

Brian's Home Blog said...

We were getting tired of the rain here, it rained every day for a week and a half. Love your quilts, you're so talented. Awww, that's such a cute little chipmunk.

PaintedThread said...

Rainy days - got some reading in the morning and yoga at lunch time. All good indoor stuff. Cute little chipmunk. Quilting - sometimes it's about perfection but most of the time it's about trying it out new things or just getting it done.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Being used to loads of sunshine and mostly storms rather than continued rain...I soon want to see sunshine again if we do have continued wet weather. I think perhaps sometimes folks don't like the process of learning and want to be accomplished immediately! Which definitely equals frustration. Your poor art teacher x I am a big believer in sew what you fancy. I have been known to change what doesn't suit me. Your little critter is so cute xx

grammajudyb said...

I think you orange Flower Power house is awesome! I think there are a few of us taking creative liberties with the wonderful QAL.Did you see my “rose covered cottage”? It might make you dizzy! I just have to use up the scraps, so sometimes it’s a bit unusual !
I was a bit overwhelmed by Tula’ s fabric at first! Now I wish I had some! I saw our first squirrel yesterday. Chipmunks are prevalent in parts of our town too. Not in my neighborhood though.
Have a wonderful week!

Linda said...

I love your house! I had to run to read about the home economics teacher on Mary Anne's post, and I left a comment. Her experience was somewhat similar in tone to an experience I had in junior high. Sometimes teachers should not be teachers. That Tula Pink fabric is fabulous!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I often think of the fact that only God creates things perfectly and that helps me let go of my perfectionism (mostly).
Seeing the little chippie reminded me of my Dad who would spend hours sitting outside with his pockets full of peanuts. They would climb all over him searching in his pockets for their treats. Gave an old man a great deal of pleasure and indirectly us too.
Thank you for the link!!!!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Jocelyn, I have that Tula Pink fabric too. It will be an awesome house! This one is also cute. I ran out of fabric for my roofs, but bought fabric last weekend. Just have to wash it and then make this week's house. Enjoy the process - that's why we do stuff, whether we are good or not at it...and practice does make better :-)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your house bock, this orange is such happy and the green very sweet. quilting, and other art forms are a way to express ourselves, not for being judged by others. Have fun sewing these pretty houses!
Cute little guy visiting ;)
Thank you for sharing and linking up!

Carol Andrews said...

Hi Jocelyn. i sure did enjoy the reading of this post with all of your photos. I was not impressed with the Home Ec teacher story and horrified at the student's reaction. Teaching and learning are part of all of our lives so it's better to do it gently I think. Love your house block and I can't wait to see how you use. that Tula Pink piece in the next one. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday.

Michelle said...

While there is beauty in imperfection, I would say your work is perfect. Thanks for linking up and I hope you are having a great week.