Thursday 4 May 2023

Free Patterns, Tulip Bouquet Quilt, Coronation Quiche, Books

 Ned and I encounter a rabbit just about every morning on our walk. So much so he is starting to get complacent about them. However, I took this photo through a window and it is not often I see a rabbit close to the house. All the rain is turning the grass green quickly.

I finished reading an ebook of Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishigura, his first novel since being awarded The Nobel Prize for Literature.


 I really enjoyed the first half of the book as I got to know clever Klara and how she was reacting to her human family. However, I lost my way with the second half because I found the storyline got a little boring and I'm happy to admit that was just me. Loads of folks absolutely loved this book.  AI is coming faster than we realize and will pose ever more dilemmas for humans. As if we don't have enough to deal with already these complicated days.

 I am now reading the wonderful Olive Kitteridge author, Elizabeth Strout...this one of hers is Lucy by the Sea. So far, I am enjoying it very much. 


Ahh, my dilemma- sort of. 
“She didn't like to be alone. Even more, she didn't like being with people.”

― Elizabeth Strout, Olive Kitteridge

LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week has to do with our singing skills. I sang in church choirs and even sang as part of a trio a number of times when in a junior church choir.  I sang well enough to pass the audition for my university glee club (remember those?) and I always loved singing in groups. I also enjoyed singing in the car- by myself. :D Sadly for me, I developed a nodule on a vocal chord from my talkative teaching career and the tune I carry now is a scratchy one.  How about you? 

I found a free pattern that I had to make- in a true Squirrel moment. It's Tulips Bouquet from very talented Fran at Cotton and Joy

Older daughter asked for a table topper for a sweet little table she has in her den. So I started and have cut out the pieces. She likes the blue and peachy pink too. 

My turquoise Chipper House for the Rainbow Neighbourhood is almost finished. I'm pretty pleased with myself that I'm keeping up with the timeframe. I have never spent so many hours in the sewing room just on the machine. 

Some sites to check out
At the site, Christa Quilts, there are many free patterns. This is one and is called Puzzle Box. It would make an interesting table runner too.
I saw this gorgeous quilt on Instagram and was so taken with it. I had to track it down and it turns out to be a free pattern from Art Gallery Fabrics made with their new Flower Bloom fabrics. Link is Here

It looks like Marit in Norway gave up on her blog in 2018 but her lovely quilts remain for us to ogle and enjoy. I'd mentioned 50 shades of green in my last post and was amused to see Marit had sewed a beautiful quilt with that very name. Quilt-It Blogspot
The pattern is called Chic Country and is found for sale at Sew Kind of Wonderful. Marit sewed hers for the 2017 Pantone Greenery Challenge. 

I am looking forward to watching The Coronation and plan to make this recipe as a little celebration- The Coronation Quiche.  Recipe Here at BBC Good Food. I'm going to use butter in the crust rather than my usual Crisco. I'll let you know how that goes.
I've rambled enough for this Thursday post. Hope everyone has a good weekend. 
So good to link up with Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.


18 comments :

Out To Pasture said...

Always lovely things from your sewing machine, Jocelyn! Just ordered an e-copy of Lucy By The Sea from the Ottawa Public Library. I'm number 64 in line. I've always had a soft, unmusical voice. Of late, I find that if I sing along with my piano and 'quaver' each note, it sounds much better. Still not really fit for other ears though. I also will be watching The Coronation. History in the making!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I like that quote by Elizabeth Strout - sort of sums up the way I feel most of the time.
I'm not a singer and have been told more often than I can count that I'm not. Even back in grade school when our music teacher told me that I should just sing silently.
Fun links, thank you (and I'd love a slice of that quiche!)

Angela said...

We have been seeing a lot of bunnies in our neighbourhood lately. They have been so brave to be out in daylight!

Nancy J said...

I will also watch King Charles and all the others, live, televised all over the world, what a change from Elizabeth in 1953. Chic Country, I have seen that made up in other shades and it is beautiful.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I might tune in to see a little of the coronation but no way getting up at 5 AM to watch it LOL even though we do not have the monarchy I do find the pomp of it all interesting

Anne Kirby said...

I would not use all butter. It will make the crust too crumbly. Either half butter half Crisco would give you the butter taste with a well-behaved crust, or half butter half good quality margarine. Have fun!! I'll be watching with you!!

Jenny said...

I'll be Coronation watching too, but I think I'll give the broad bean quiche a miss. Howvever, here in New Zealand we are 12 hours ahead of UK so I'll probably watch the pomp and ceremony on Sunday TV. Maybe we raise our glasses in a toast!

Quilting Babcia said...

I used to sing in choirs in my youth but the voice is nearly gone now, sadly. I really appreciate all the links you share and was especially happy to see that Marit's blog is still viewable. The last time I tried to access it my search returned nothing. I doubt we will see the coronation since my sister and BIL will be visiting from the west coast, and we haven't seen each other since before covid.

Jackie said...

I plan on recording the Coronation as we won't be home.

Love the tulip mini quilt.

God bless.

Susie H said...

I love my QCR (Quick Curve Ruler) so I'm very interested in the 50 Shades of Green pattern. That's the very ruler I'm using to make my RSC Pineapples! Thanks for all the links.

I've seen a few rabbits but not many. Gracie loves chasing them when she sees them. Good thing it takes a bit for her to get ALL of her 70# in motion! haha!!!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That rabbit is very cute! That table topper sure will be a winner. Happy reading!

PaintedThread said...

Great photo of that bunny. Still looks like a bit of a winter coat. (our deer are looking really shaggy lately). I like the Tulips Bouquet. I really like Chic Country - May need to make that at some point. Good stuff!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I loved Lucy by the Sea, Jocelyn! It was fascinating reading about a fictional woman who experienced so many similar things during the pandemic. You found so many beautiful patterns this week! The tulips are going to make a lovely tabletopper for your daughter.

piecefulwendy said...

If you enjoyed Lucy by The Sea, you should also read "Oh, William!" by Strout - the first of those two books. You've found some fun quilt patterns. You reminded me that I have a UFO of Puzzle Box that I should finish someday. Enjoy the Coronation!

Michele McLaughlin said...

The quiche seems perfect for a coronation day. I love it! So many wonderful things on your blog today! Love your tulip bouquet piece, it is really joyful!!! As always thank for the link to the pattern. I've been to the ARt Gallery website but Marit's blog is new to me, can't wait to explore it! Have a great day and don't let the rabbits eat everything in your garden! Sending hugs!

Linda said...

The table topper for your daughter is pretty! I like that pattern and the fabrics you chose. I'm glad Ned is complacent about seeing rabbits. Our dog would chase.
I will be watching The Coronation too. I follow The Royal Family on Instagram and have been so impressed with background on things being made or used for the Coronation.
Do let us know how you like the Coronation Quiche! I see that they are using lard, which makes the flakiest of crusts. I have been using shortening made with animal fat for about a year now (Walmart "Great Value" brand) and my crusts are better than ever. I'm leery about "broad beans" in my quiche, but since I like most any bean I would probably love it. I'll be thinking of you on Saturday! :D

LA Paylor said...

the quote totally sums me up right now.... I am happy to know you sang... and sorry it's hard to do now because of overuse. Our bodies wear out from living.
I just love you Jocelyn, I feel such affinity for you and you often speak my thoughts. How nice to know you.
LeeAnna

Kate said...

Sounds like you've had a good mix of reading and stitching this week. The mini tulips turned out beautifully. Happy stitching this week.