Thursday 25 May 2023

Blue House, June at Hawk Run Hollow, Me at the Spa

I love lilacs and enjoyed several trees at the farm. My lone tree here is a little lacking in blooms though I've tried several interventions to help it. The flowers seem to fade even as the buds are opening.They are such gorgeous colours...this one is a bicolour Sensation...how I wish it were healthier. 

Below is Claude Monet's Resting Under the Lilac Tree. Now that's a lilac tree! His idea of painting people in the early years was to give impressions of people in a picture.
 I have my Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL blue house all finished. One thing I love about taking part in this QAL is it is keeping me motivated to get in the sewing room and stay on track. 
I've been sorting through greens for the next house and working out the featured block. I seem to take the longest time doing that. The dark green material below is ancient and I haven't a clue where it came from. But a house front it will be soon. 
I pulled out this cross stitch project last week and was surprised by two things....how large the blocks are which I had totally forgotten and how vibrant the colours are.
Each block is 92 x 92 stitches.  I'm finishing up the block for June which happens to be a bridal couple. Being a June bride was a real thing when I was young and I know some of you were. Anyway, with June completed, I'm almost halfway through the Year at Hawk Run Hollow by Carriage House Samplings, Marty Barrick designer.
 
Lana at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is where we would like to go for a holiday. That's easy for me as I would love to go home to Newfoundland. But it is far away and also any travel is out of the question for me at the moment as life has handed me new responsibilities recently. These require my staying put right here.  I am not particularly sad about this as I am brimful of happy memories of Newfoundland. I feel like I haven't forgotten a thing so it is all very much with me every moment I'm awake and sometimes even in dreams. Grateful for all of it. Where would you like to travel???

Just a heads up...At Quilting Patchwork Applique, kind Frederique has collated and keeps updating all the current QAL's and BOM's, etc.
 Always a few there I didn't know about and interesting to keep up with the modern stitchers too.
 
 Below is a photo of me taken at the spa, my Mother's Day treat. It always surprises me when I see how white haired I've become and I should be long used to it now. We'd attended a funeral the day before and I felt very, very tired so this was a great distraction. Some of you may remember I gave myself a pixie cut back in January; you can see it for yourself HERE. This is it grown out; I haven't put scissors to it since so my hair must be very slow growing these days. I'm wearing my Olsen blouse from the thrift store. I'm also wearing Mom's charm bracelet. I joked I took her with me. She loved these kind of outings and we shared many together in our younger years. 
Life, it's got a way of just moving on, doesn't it. It seems to be speeding up now at the end which is how I'm feeling about time these days. 

28 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

did you get your hair cut also on your day to the spa? My hair is about that length and I seem to need it trimmed every 4 weeks to keep it that way. Too bad you can't get back to Newfoundland. It should be warming up to summer for you soon I bet.

grammajudyb said...

The lilacs are blooming here too! I don’t have any in my yard, but a nearby neighbor does! I love their colors. In recent years I have developed a reaction to their smell! So odd, because it was a favorite. Love your blue house and the featured block! The next up is going to br gorgeous too! Thanks for sharing the recipe for blueberry cream cheesecake lasagna! Looks scrumptious! A lovely photo of you at the spa! I’m sure it was a lovely experience!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love lilacs, but we don't have any in our yard anymore. The ones in the neighborhood smell so good! Your blue house is lovely - I particularly like the quilt block you used this time. That red and blue leafy print is really pretty! Life does have a way of giving us responsibilities that change what we are able to do at times. My mom's care has certainly done that to me this year. Everyone always says to take care of yourself (the caregiver), but it's not always clear to me what that means. We can't ignore our loved one's needs. Your hair is lovely - so glad you got that that Mother's Day to the spa! Do take care of yourself, Jocelyn - hugs!

Nana said...

No matter how time flies by and how thoughts might be a little serious right now, but believe me, you are such a pretty woman! I bet men are still looking at you and giving you nice smiles, aren´t they?

Nana

loulee said...

I can almost smell the lilacs.

LA Paylor said...

the vacation question is all fantasy for us... I've never been to Newfoundland so I'd love to go with you. Then travel on to scandinavia I think... yes that's a plan.
you look so pretty, that haircut has grown out beautifully, so it was a great cut. I am shocked when I see how gray I'm going so quickly now.
your cross stitch is bold and beautiful
LeeAnna

Susie H said...

I love lilacs too. My mother's neighbors planted a bush several years ago and I'm so grateful the wind blows towards Mom's. The smell is HEAVENLY! I planted one once but hubby knocked it over with the lawn mower and it never recovered. Life is indeed very fluid. My mother will be back in our house come June 6 and I'll be at home a bit more again. I love your hair! I think the camera shows off our white hair bc I know my hair isn't as white as it looks in pictures. They say hair and nails grow slower in winter, something about daylight, I think. Anyway, maybe your hair will be down to your waist by September! Lol! Take care.

Jenny said...

That's a lovely photo of you looking so happy at the spa. If I could take a trip "anywhere" I would love a trip back to England and across the border to Scotland. But that's not likely to happen so I'll make do with the memories of our two former wonderful holidays there.
I wonder how you came to forget all about that lovely cross stitch project? Now you found it will you complete it?

Jenny said...

PS, I havent had anything to do with lilacs, but I really love lavender. We have one little shrub here which could do with a trim, and I should buy another to keep it company.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love the scent of lilacs but really shouldn't be around them because highly scented things tend to upset my allergies.
As for where I'd like to go on a holiday, it would be British Columbia to see our family, no question.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those blooms are sure pretty and I like the comparison! Your blue house sure looks nice and that's such a nice photo of you, you look fabulous!

cityquilter grace said...

yes days do seem to go faster at this end...lovely stitchery...my grandmother had big trees of lilacs both purple and white....

Jackie said...

Our lilacs are finally opening. Love the smell.

One place that Harvey and I would really like to visit is Newfoundland. Perhaps some day very soon.

God bless.

PaintedThread said...

I have not seen that painting before. Very pretty! As a kid we'd build forts under the neighbor's lilacs. :-) Cross stitching looks great. That's a lovely photo of you. You have a great smile.

Libby in TN said...

Beautiful photo of you! I'm not sure I would recognize a lilac if it tripped me.

Anonymous said...

I have been through times where responsibilities keep me home. We just need to do the right thing at those times. I hope you get a chance to go back to Newfoundland sometime. It is on our bucket list! Our neighbour’s lilac bush is gorgeous right now.
Your house block looks great and I like your cross stitch project too. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Linda said...

Your hair is beautiful, you are beautiful, and yay for the spa treatment! You long for a blooming lilac tree like I long for a blooming wisteria vine. I have planted them 3 or 4 times, and I just can't seem to achieve the lush blooms that I see in other places. That cross stitch is so pretty!

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love the colors for blue block but am crazy about that green/blue fabric! So pretty! That cross stitch is wonderful! the detail is amazing! I love that you showed Monet's painting along with your comments about the lilac. Lilac's don't seem to get that big here, mostly just a tall bush. Have a wonderful weekend!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I got some great lilacs this year but I feel they fade away too quickly. I love that Monet painting. I've never seen a lilac tree so large! Your house blocks are beautiful. I love your cross stitch project too. White hair or not, you look wonderful!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

What a great picture of you! I know you must have enjoyed your time at the Spa! The flowers are beautiful and really like the cross stitch project! Hugs

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your house block, and this new green featured block. Pretty green fabrics. I love thé photo of you, you look lovely!
Thanks you for sharing and linking up !

K Reeves said...

Your house quilt is going to be so pretty, )ocelyn! I love using those odd bits of fabric up; I have pieces my collected that are easily 40 years old and they always make me smile. I had a spa day this week too, but just a massage. It was lovely, and a much appreciated gift from my eldest and her hubby for my birthday back in March. I also had my eyes checked and will get new glasses next week. I am keeping my old frames, so will have to give them up for a morning while they install them.

We have a lilac bush and it always blooms for my youngest’s birthday. I didn’t think it would make it in time this year, but sure enough, it did. Unfortunately the smoke kept us from enjoying their scent until they were past their prime. I did bring some inside, but they don’t last very long indoors.

Beautiful photo by the way! Have a great week.

Karrin Hurd said...

I like the colors of the newest house you are working on. Love the picture of you, it is beautiful! I always love to go to the beach. What I really would love would be to go to Maine and spend a week.

CathieJ said...

My neighbor's lilac bush bloomed very fragrantly which was a problem for me. I had to avoid my deck for a few days as I am very allergic to scents. I hope you enjoyed your spa visit. I have never been. I like your latest house and your cross-stitching. Have a great week!

AnnieO said...

Too dry for lilacs here, I suppose, I have never seen any in SoCal that I can recall. So pretty!
Love the cross-stitch project, very animated and colorful.
My hairstylist daughter keeps me blonde...otherwise I'd be silver and gray. You look great!
Your house blocks are coming together well. Yes, I agree that many small pieces take longer than imagined! I have to stitch slower and pay better attention to seam allowances.

Kim said...

Such a lovely photo of you at the Spa, Jocelyn. Monet is my favourite artist and the Impressionism my favourite period of art. Oh, to sit under a lilac tree such as the one in the painting. Can you imagine the fragrance; just beautiful. Your cross stitch project is gorgeous.

Jenn Jilks said...

How lovely, a spa day!

Chookyblue...... said...

It's a lovely photo of you..... How nice would a spa day be..... I've never done one..... Nice projects on the go....