Monday 8 May 2023

Quiche, Table Topper, Turquoise House Lesson, A Bee To Embroider

Yes the Coronation was wonderful...our King is crowned! I loved every minute of the t.v. footage and I made my Coronation Quiche for the day.  Daughter gave me this flat of fresh eggs including some duck eggs.

I used four of them for the quiche. My finished quiche was probably the least like the official recipe it could be and still be quiche. For starters I couldn't find broad beans. So I knew then there would have to be substitutions. I  sauted a little onion and some bacon bits to give added flavour. I did add spinach and tarragon like the recipe but I used almond milk instead of cream and I also added tomatoes to the top. I had a block of aged smoky cheddar I'd been saving and decided its' time had come and it did add wonderful flavour.  I backed out of using all butter for the crust..thank you all who advised to be careful with full butter for pastry...so I used half butter and half Crisco. It made a tasty but slightly crumbly crust. 
We both enjoyed it very much which made me wonder why I rarely make quiche, such an easy meal really. 

So here is my Rainbow Neighbourhood Turquoise Chipper House blowing in the breeze. First I tried to position it to show new leaf growth.

Then against the beautiful fir trees so dark and green.
Outside photo shoots are not easy to pull off even in alight breeze.  And I also
 had a hard time figuring out how to include the whole chipmunk in a block-his tail is so long; just gave up on it in the end and went with this arrangement. I hope you think it looks okay.

Lesson for this one is not just measure twice, measure three or four times, then cut!
Coming up, I'll have to layer the Tulip Bouquet Table Topper- free pattern from Cotton and Joy I stitched last week. Also photographed outside in dappled sunshine.
Found for the backing- a pretty  flowery fabric and will bring it forward to create the binding also.
Still with stitching- the EPP Pluses are almost all stitched together and I hope to finish that part of the quilt this week. I'm keeping it lap size. I realized there is not a scrap of purple/lavender fabric to be seen in it. Which got me thinking....

I only linked with Angela's So Scrappy monthly party once during April...the colour was purple and I think I'm not crazy about that colour. But when I sewed the purple house, I realized it included a particular shade of purple, kind of soft that I actually liked very much. 
Made me rethink my feelings about using more purple in my projects.

 But I'm not going to be purchasing any more fabric in the meantime. I've been housecleaning nooks and crannies. We have too much stuff- why do I always feel like that! Even in the sewing room, things tend to pile up...partly because I don't have proper space to keep things tidy. However,I really should make a pledge to only purchase fabric for a specific project from here on in. What about you? At that stage too?

A couple of free patterns I loved...

At Nautikra, sailor Mallory shares not only her love of crocheting squares, but a bank of free crochet patterns. All lovely. And at that link you'll find detailed instructions to crochet the Hygge Burst Granny Square pattern shown here. 


And World Bee Day is celebrated on May 20th this year. In honour of the special event and to emphasize the importance of bees, the creative folks at DMC introduced this new free pattern to embroider, a real beauty. 
I have finished stitching another Snow Days block and I really don't feel like stitching more snowy scenes right now. Don't want to hear the word s-n-o-w.
I'm sharing this photo of puppy Neddy in spring daffodils two years ago...those same daffodils are open today. Hard to believe he was so tiny! What a wonder growth is!
Hope your week will also be filled with things of wonder!


23 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I am at that pledge too - I have more than enough fabric and patterns to last a life time - I will never use it all up. After I went to Paducah to the quilt show and came home with more I wondered why. I have to stop this - I'm with you with on pledging to get under control

Nancy J said...

Too much stuff, I can relate to that so well.But yesterday I was very self contained, or had some inner will power from somewhere, came out with zippers, thread and batting.!! And free, some wide heavy duty cardboard rolls from the curtain department to roll the batting on .At the doorway of the large store, two much younger ladies asked if I needed any help to get everything to the car. Do I really look like I need help? That makes me so thankful for help that is offered, they lifted the bag onto my arm, held up the tubes so I could carry them under my arm.And with the NZ Gold Card, managed a huge discount on everything.Daffs and Neddy, that is a beautiful photo.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your quiche sounds yummy, and a fun way to celebrate the coronation, Jocelyn. I love the chipmunk on your turquoise house, too! What a pretty backing for the tulip tabletopper - just perfect for the front. Darling photo of Ned as a puppy with the daffodils! He always looks such a good dog as an older boy, but so cute as a puppy.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely post!
Your handwork is amazing. I just couldn't do it.
Happy to see your work!

Jackie said...

Your quiche looks lovely and just perfect.

Your table topper is gorgeous I do love the houses as well.

Neddy sure was tiny.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That quiche sure looks great. We got up early and watched all of the Coronation too and we really enjoyed all of it. Your Chipper House is very pretty and my goodness, the wee Needy is totally adorable.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - I love quiche, but the head cook in our house doesn't like to make it often due to the crust - he is quite particular about his crusts, and since it is "involved", he won't do it often. I suppose I could ...

Although hubby is from the UK, we did not watch any of the coronation. Maybe I can find some re-runs ...

Your Turquoise Chipper House is beautiful - lovely colors for spring. And the crochet pillow is stunning.

Thanks for visiting my blog recently!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

I take the don't buy more pledge every week. Then I have to literally fight myself when a fabric sale pops up on my feed. I repeat, "don't look, don't look, don't look" or "you shall not buy, you shall not buy!" Sometimes I win but sometimes the voice is too quiet and I buy some low volume or novelty fabric fat quarters. The struggle is real!!

Janice said...

Good on you for being so creative with your house blocks. I love seeing spring time photos as we enter the cooler season.

PaintedThread said...

I need to find time to use the fabric I have. There's so many projects I want to do!

That quiche looks great. And I also can't believe Ned was ever that small. It's really been two years??

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Enjoyed the Coronation. I have not had time to enjoy your posts on your houses, but I will go back when things are done here..... Love this block and there was one a couple of weeks ago that really popped. That table topper is so pretty and I love the background fabric! YES, I feel the same way about "too much stuff". Well, on to finishing up adding two sleeves and 3 labels on the remaining quilts for the Quilt Show. I am planning on being back to blogging and making something new by 1 June 2023! Ned has really grown as all Labs tend to do. He is such a pretty color! Hugs

Robin said...

Your quiche looks yummy. I made a quiche this week and it didn't turn out. I seem to have more cooking failures as I get older. Something I'm not pleased about. . . The table topper turned out so sweet. Love the backing. Purple isn't one of my favorite colors but it can add pizazz to a quilt (if it's not the main color). I feel the same way about yellow. I don't want a yellow quilt but it has a way of making other fabrics look better.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Have you tried making impossible quiche? It's the only kind we make and it's SO easy to do. Resident Chef often makes it in muffin tins and then freezes them for easy breakfasts/lunches later on.
Awww - Neddy has certainly grown, hasn't he!

cityquilter grace said...

well after organizing the stash after a move, solemnly affirm not to add more. quiche looks delish...rarely make it just for one...lovely daffies and purple blocks!

gladiquilts said...

Good morning Jocelyn! I’m totally with you on those 2 things: I’m not a big fan of purple, but every once in a while a lovely shade of it will catch my attention and I’ll use it. Rarely, however, is it ever a focus in my quilts. I also keep paring down and purging but still have more “stuff” than I should. I make myself think twice - 3X, 4X! - before buying anything, including fabric, these days. Enjoyed the photo of Ned as a puppy!

Karrin Hurd said...

Your quiche looks delicious, and the daffodils and Neddy are lovely. I like purple but really can't stand working with pink. Great house blocks though!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Hey, thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop, we're so glad you happed in!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Jocelyn, fresh eggs much make that quiche so much better! I make quiche often - it was one of my kids' favourite snacks so I would make them each one with whatever they wanted in it. I do use frozen crust though.
Your aqua house is lovely with Tula Pink's squirrel. Your table topper is looking great. Looking forward to seeing it quilted. Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. Have a great weekend!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

your rainbow neighborhood is growing at a wonderful rate!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Yummy quiche ;) Your blocks are beautiful, and this tulip block is very pretty. I try to buy fabrics only when I need some for a project. I try ;))
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

Carol Andrews said...

Jocelyn I always enjoy reading your post. This one was chock full of fun and beautiful things. I’m glad you enjoyed the coronation and your quiche looks yummy. Love your Chipper House Block. I’m with you on the not buying fabric. I started before the Pandemic only buying fabric if I need it for a specific project. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday. I hope this week was filled with fabric, beautiful things and lovely walks with Ned. 😉

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Such cute hose blocks!! and a coronation quiche - sounds yummy

Michelle said...

I love quiche and it is very forgiving. We are eating it a lot these days with fresh eggs. I like the purple in your projects! Thanks for linking up and have a great week.