Thursday 11 May 2023

Applique, Music, Free Patterns, Rainbow Neighbourhood

The sun came out and dried up all the rain...yes that happened last Friday. Glorious sunshine almost every day since. Temps are a bit cool and there are frost warnings at night. It is shivery still in the shade, but the sunshine makes up for it. Daffodils are blooming and the tiny leaves are appearing on trees. Several of the indoor plants are budding. I'm itching to get these outside.

I began stitching this applique block during the Coronation. I thought it a little tiara like. A dresden block for my next Rainbow house, a pink one. 
I'm surprising myself with the bright colours I am using in this Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL. I usually prefer much more subdued tones. But this is fun too.
And here the neighbourhood is coming together. Technically I've stitched 5.5 houses so far if I count my Butterfly test house. These are large at 16 inches.
LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is what is our favourite music style. I usually listen to classical piano, cello, or violin in the mornings when up early. Often when I'm writing these posts. A couple times a week I ask google to play me old time rock and roll and I dance to it. This always cheers me up no matter what is happening and I know all the words to the old songs. So it's not only good for the body, it's good for memory too. Sometimes I surprise myself by enjoying something modern right out of the blue. Like a very young Chris Martin singing a song he wrote called Yellow which I love. 

 I heard from many of you about taking the no fabric buying pledge, but some of you are qualifying that with perhaps if a new line catches your eye, or you need more neutrals, :D, etc. Yes, that's a hard pledge to keep as the new fabric lines are always more beautiful than the ones before it seems.  

How to control stash...I never thought of this but I read this suggestion for how to cut down/control adding to stash.  Buy quilt kits. More and more of the fabric stores are putting together kits with the fabric and pattern, no need to purchase more. For instance, as long as I've been blogging, I've received the Connecting Threads catalogue and they always have a bank of quilt kits; they go on sale at different times of the year and are quite a good bargain then. 

 Likes and Free Stuff Too

 Sassafras Lane Designs' free pattern section includes this one -Mini Patchwork Orange.


Red Thread Studio has quite a selection of unique stitching items. One is this project for embroiderers designed by the wonderful stitcher Helen Stubbings. This one is called Stitch Therapy 365, a tiny design to stitch quickly for each day of the year.

I found this link to a bank of free patterns by wonderful Kim Diehl...so many lovely designs. Some so simple but creative too. At the ME Quilt Shoppe. I couldn't grab a photo because each links directly to the pattern. I noticed that Kim's borders are all different and it would be a great spot to explore border choices if you need that. 
At Bonnie Sullivan's site All Through the Night, I found lovely free patterns. Take a look around at what Bonnie (sister of Kathy Schmitz) has been creating. Here is just one of the pretty patterns Bonnie is generously offering.

I was so happy to read that the state of Oregon has deployed firefighters to Alberta, Canada to help them fight the fires that have been blazing there for weeks now. Story is here. It is always enheartening to read about cross border alliances between countries. Helping each other as best we can is the way it should be. 
And on that hopeful note, I'll end my post today. Happy Weekend all. 
Happily linking with mmm quiltsKathy's Quilts, Quilting is More Fun Than HouseworkSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts and So Scrappy





25 comments :

loulee said...

Lovely to see the seasons turning. I enjoyed Yellow while I was reading and exploring links, I hadn't heard it for some time.

Janice Smith said...

Jocelyn, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I have been enjoying reading through your blog posts. Those colorful houses are lots of fun.

Libby in TN said...

Your houses are shaping up nicely! I am impressed with your applique; makes me want to get back into it. The trouble with kits is they often include lower quality fabric, especially those that come from shops, but I agree that they eliminate leftovers.

Jackie said...

What a lovely block you made, I am in awe of how much you accomplish. We will be getting rain here the next few days.

God bless.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We have had rain upon rain here in Colorado - amazing for us! Everything is getting very green. I love your rainbow houses, and hope the butterfly house makes the cut! I stopped buying kits because I realized I don't enjoy making quilts that way, but many people do love them. Isn't that orange cute?! So many fun patterns and ideas out there!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those houses are sure pretty, each one! I hope you have a totally fabulous weekend!

Delighted Hands said...

Thank you for the visit to my blog and for leaving a comment! What a lovely post on your blog today! I enjoyed looking at the links and learning a little about you, too!

Sandra Walker said...

Jocelyn your neighbourhood is darling and I just love the hand-stitched crown-like posy! I saved the photo and will post it in my stories on Instagram. I hope you’ll link up this post on my blog as there are two prizes up for grabs this week at the mid-point of the QAL! I tried to bring some of our eastern rain with me here to Alberta where I’m visiting for a week (going back home tomorrow) but I wasn’t too successful and now I see we’re getting more rain at home in Ontario this weekend! And another heatwave in Alberta! So messed up. I love the mental image of you dancing. :-) Happy is good.

Jenny said...

Those fires must be a worry, it's great that extra help has arrived to deal with them.
Your neighbourhood of houses is growing well.
Jenny

PaintedThread said...

I really like how your neighborhood is coming along. I used to only buy fabric for a project, but now I've been adding to my stash. Still, it needs to fit in my dresser, so that keeps me from getting out of hand. Kits always have such amazing fabrics, but part of what I like is designing - which kits don't offer. (But I agree it's a clever way to keep the stashing to a minimum.)

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I know friends have taken the no new fabric pledge but they make exceptions for the B's, binding, backing and borders. I guess you need yardage for most of those so it's okay to buy. I try using my stash but always end up buying when I got to the quilt shop. Oh well!! I love your houses!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - I didn't know there are fires in Alberta right now, but I sure am glad to hear about the partnership.

I am not a quilter, so I don't quite have the "stash" problem, but as a cross-stitcher, I have no problem collecting projects that could easily span beyond my life-time!

gladiquilts said...

Your houses are looking great together! I love classical music and the occasional “rock” oldie, too, 😊, but I’m not a fan of quilt kits. There is a place for them and they are fine for folks who just want to sew. But one of the major joys of making quilts, for me, is being creative and expressing myself artistically by choosing my own mix of fabrics. For years I justified fabric purchases by claiming I was building my stash 😊. Now that I actually have that amazing stash, I try to buy only for specific project needs. Does that mean I’ll never add to the stash - probably not!😊

Susan Smith said...

I'm loving what you are putting in the window instead of stars. Look forward to seeing more. I'm using mostly from my scrap bin & I've tried very hard over the last few years not to buy for my stash & only a blender or two occasionally. As I design my own mostly I don't do kits, though I have made some "many" years ago. The stitcheries by Helen are ever so cute and I missed catching up with her at the show in April as it was so crowded. Hope Alberta get some much needed rain and I know only too well about bushfires, having lived through so many over my 70+ years with some very, very close. Take care & hugs from down under.

audrey said...

The Dresden block with the basket is so cute! Love it in those colors.:)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your basket full of Dresden! Lovely and bright houses, they look great all together. Buying kits? Yes, it can be a good way to not add too much in the stash ;)

Daniela Bencúrová said...

I admire your sewing! Everything is perfect!
I send you my best regards!
Daniela

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your Dresdens. I am not doing very good at controlling my stash. Thanks for the links, I downloaded a couple from Bonnie Sullivan's site. I listen to music all day, and thanks for the Yellow song. I added it to my playlist. Mine goes anywhere from today's county, to Rock and Roll, to gospel, to 60's, 70's and 80s. I love music! Happy Mother's Day!

Miaismine said...

Love your header photo! Yes, Las Cruces weather is finally nice and I am enjoying my garden before the unbelievably hot summer temps hit. Those temperatures make going outside almost impossible.
Your Dresden Plates caught my eye at Kathy’s blog! Beautifully done! I really like your houses!
Somehow, I got confused with LeeAnna’s prompt! 😊 Loved Yellow!
I have been limited my fabric purchases to fabrics needed to finish a project or if a line catches my eye as you said. It is hard to keep!
I’ve made another pledge to finish my UFOs as well – they are taking up so much space in my sewing room! ☹
I have heard of purchasing quilt kits and think it’s a great idea – especially if they’re on sale!
I downloaded Bonnie’s A “Charming” Little Quilt – to pretty to resist!
Yes, cross border alliances are wonderful to learn about! Hugs to you!

Miaismine said...

Love your header photo! Yes, Las Cruces weather is finally nice and I am enjoying my garden before the unbelievably hot summer temps hit. Those temperatures make going outside almost impossible.
Your Dresden Plates caught my eye at Kathy’s blog! Beautifully done! I really like your houses!
Somehow, I got confused with LeeAnna’s prompt! 😊 Loved Yellow!
I have been limited my fabric purchases to fabrics needed to finish a project or if a line catches my eye as you said. It is hard to keep!
I’ve made another pledge to finish my UFOs as well – they are taking up so much space in my sewing room! ☹
I have heard of purchasing quilt kits and think it’s a great idea – especially if they’re on sale!
I downloaded Bonnie’s A “Charming” Little Quilt – to pretty to resist!
Yes, cross border alliances are wonderful to learn about! Hugs to you!

Kim said...

Oh, your little houses are filled with fun and happy colour, and pattern. Such a wonderful neighbourhood you are 'building'. Love the varied patchwork blocks in each house.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Your house blocks are so much fun with their block within a block. Perfect for the RSC.

Susie H said...

I had no idea about the Canadian fires. Such stress and I hope they're put out soon or at least under control. Thank you for all the links again this week. I just love checking them out!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love your colourful houses! Sometimes it's fun to work outside our comfort zone when it comes to colour and sometimes (at least in my case) I discover ones I learn to like. Baby pink though - that's a definite no.
Thank you, as always for the fun links. I was excited to see that Connecting Threads will ship to Canada so I have requested a catalogue.
As for tastes in music, I tend to like the music of the late 50's, 60's and early 70's. I used to follow more modern music too but we can't get a radio to work in our building (cement blocks do a number on radio waves evidently). I was listening to streaming versions online but that put my internet usage over the top so I had to stop.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your houses are so cute! It was fun to read the types of music you listen to when you are stitching!