Monday 17 April 2023

Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL Lesson #1, Days Filled With Joy SAL, Online Shopping

These days most of the wetland area is flooded and unwalkable which is too bad as the path winds through neat little treed areas. It was near this spot, I went through the ice and up to my thighs in water back a couple of years ago.  About August, this area will dry out enough to walk without boots. The tree in the middle is a monstrous size, one of the Mother Trees here and I call it a Halloween tree.

The mallards are back on the little pond- I wonder each year if they are the same ducks. I watched them glide up as far as this tree foraging. The photo below was taken from a great distance as they alert very easily.
You'll note the bits of green there. Everyone is talking about how we went from that horrid ice storm to high temperatures...30C and even a humidity warning in the space of one week. We could actually watch our banks of snow melt. So spring is here now and I'm going to ignore that the word snow is in the midweek forecast.
Now then, I had a successful stitching weekend.
 
First I made a bunch of EPP Plus blocks. Itching to begin stitching these together; I will love that part. These are beiges and neutrals.

Then I stitched another house in the mmm quilts  Rainbow Neighbourhood project- this is the most cutting and piecing I've had to do on a quilt ( except for Farmer's Wife).  I usually choose projects with simple shapes as I have little to no confidence with cutting accurately.  I say I enjoy learning so I think I'll share with you a lesson learned with each house I stitch.
 Using the same pattern certainly has its benefits but each house will teach me something new. This time...
Lesson Learned: Cut all my outer pieces a little larger so I can trim it all back at the very end.
With Ned who enjoys quilting photo shoots so much

and without Ned, LOL
The block on the side is from The Quilt Block Bible book by Rosemary Youngs. I've started another roof and am thinking of  purples for the next one. I will have to dig deep to find anything that colour. I have just a few pieces from old Halloween sewing somewhere. 

Online shopping recently led me to this site...Nature Reflection Jewelry that I thought you might also like.  Since losing what jewelry I owned in my fire, I don't buy much, just for my girls. This has a soft chime with movement that's supposed to be calming. (Not affiliated, just sharing).
For embroidery folks, Australian stitcher, Joy is offering another free SAL. This  Days Filled With Joy is for Spring and is just so lovely.
I did well to calm my mind and thoughts this week. I also upped my exercise level which I hope to continue. For me there is a direct link between movement and feelings, I've no doubt now. 

Also I will be busy continuing cleaning this week...closets, the car, the veranda, etc. Everything needs a clean sweep!



20 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It must be very enjoyable to watch the seasonal changes around your property! Hope you get the walking paths back soon. Love the mallards, too. Aren't they a beautiful bird? Your newest fabric house looks wonderful! I like the way you used the house color to frame the quilt block - I haven't been doing that, but should consider it.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

those are beautiful ducks! so sorry that one year you went through the ice half way up your legs - talk about startling. Your quilt blocks are going really great.

Jackie said...

Gorgeous Mallards. Such a great photo of them.

That is definitely a Halloween tree.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That does look like a Halloween tree, it could be spooky cool on a full moon night. Ned, you should always model, great job. Love those ducks too!

Pamela Dempsey said...

What beautiful nature pictures, love the Halloween tree! Ned is so handsome. 🤗

Michele McLaughlin said...

That's a high temp to go to suddenly when it has been so icy and snowy there! Yeh for Spring! I love your new header! Love these house blocks and your plus blocks are looking wonderful! We have ducks here but they aren't that skiddish (crazy city ducks are like that). Anyway, wishing you a wonderful week!

grammajudyb said...

I really like your house block. That is an interesting block that you used. I'm not familiar with it. I'm having fun with the house blocks but the Card Trick Star that I used in my blue house gave me "fits". It's tiny and fiddley!! And not perfect, but looks OK when I take a step back! "smile"

Jenn Jilks said...

Nice work, as ever!
It is the season for indoor work, today!

PaintedThread said...

I got out kayaking in the warmth and paddled past a bunch of geese and a couple of mallards. I like how your plusses are coming along. Those chime necklaces are lovely looking.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

It's so nice to see the mallards enjoying the pond. I love your House block, both with and without Ned! Your plusses are coming along very nicely.

Susie H said...

I'm a big advocate of outdoor walking. Watching the seasons change, breathing fresh air, making new friends with the same hobby/exercise. So many benefits. And I am positive Ned enjoys his time on walking with you! The jewelry link has some beautiful pieces. Thanks for that.

Linda said...

Your house block is so pretty! And Ned looks very handsome in the photo. Love the mallards. What beauty you have where you live! Hope it continues to warm where you are. Seems like a mixed up spring for sure!

Sandra Walker said...

Well I am impressed with your house blocks and look at fancy you doing different ones on the side of the houses :-) Love Ned posing with the block! Yes the swings are rather crazy aren’t they? Luckily my magnolia seems to avoided any ill effects of a very light frost this morning!

Carol Andrews said...

Jocelyn you really did get spring arriving with a blast! I do hope the forecasted snow does not hit you. I love your little house block. It's fun to see how everyone is interpreting the pattern and the fabrics they choose. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

So happy to hear that Spring has arrived for you. It is definitely a mood lifter for all. Especially those in the coldest area of the world. Love this house block too. Hope your PF is doing better. I wear braces for that an PTTV - something to support my arches. Life gets better at 78!!!! LIE LIE LIE. Lol. Take care and keep on with the houses. Hugs

Michelle said...

That tree is a bit creepy, but I like the reflection and those ducks. Thanks for linking up.

Robin said...

I love the picture of that tree reflected in the pond, so moody. You always have such a fun post.

Deb said...

I do love a good walk, and a mallard to boot! Our neighbor had a female duck on top of his house yesterday! She did fly on down to the pond and nesting area so all is well. Your house block is very nice. I have about 3 different house quilts on the go, maybe someday they will be come just one neighborhood! Stay safe and sew on !

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

A mystery stitch along. . .how fun! Your halloween tree is well named! Goodness, that had to hurt to tall through the ic!!! It's always good to read one of your posts!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I just lost myself looking at that jewelry. I'd love one for myself but doubt I'll buy it.
The house block looks great - not something I would attempt on my own.