Thursday 20 April 2023

Free Patterns, Lucky Thrift Finds, Slow Stitching

 It's an interesting time of year here in the north as we can watch the season change.  Each day brings new growth pushing up through even ice it appears. It is always fascinating how quickly the earth turns green once started. 

I got to go thrift shopping, one of my favourite kind of outings. I'll share two of my thrift finds with you in this post. One is in the middle of the table there and is that bird. I paid $3.99 for it and I think it was a good deal. 

In the photos are Tony and I at our marriage ceremony, us with Murphy in the back yard, and Tony as a little fellow on a bike.

#2 thrift find...I was happy to find this book below; it is in pristine condition complete with all the patterns intact. Shizuko specializes in hand quilting. I paid $3.99 for this too and I checked on Amazon- $24.95. I'll share my other finds another time.
Here is a video of Mypoppetblogs showcasing this book.
LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week has to do with favourite smells or scents. Here are three I love...

Salt water smell when I get back home to Newfoundland. The air in general is cleaner, fresher smelling there. I never appreciated that till I was away for a year and went home...walking from the plane to the little airport it hit me how wonderful the air smelled. But maybe it felt like that because it was home. Though come to think of it, SIL has told me he notices the same thing.

Ned's paws...they smell like corn chips.

Library smell...in the stacks amongst the books there is a certain smell to be found there that I love.

What are your favourite smells?

In the sewing room, I've started another house for the Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL. I found a piece of purple fabric that was large enough for the house front. I wonder what lesson I'll learn sewing this one!  Speaking of houses, I've also gotten this far embroidering another Snow Days house. Fun to see this too emerge from snow.

Thursday's Three Free

At Quiltatious there is quite a bank of free patterns- 23 pages of them. I downloaded one called Seaside Serenity. Those sail boats with those wheels appeal to me. I looked through the patterns and I liked how they broke down each block so I think they are also well written.

Quackadoodle Quilts Anna and Sarah have a 2013 post that is still active  featuring 25 Free Quilt Patterns. I'm drawn to the Peppermint quilt and seeing the list also reminded me that I want to make a Bow Tie quilt sometime. Perhaps you'd prefer this scrappy Chevron design.

Bev at Flamingo Toes has a bank of free patterns at her site as well. Included is this pattern which is neat. Her own  Neighbourhood quilt. Window boxes with little French knot flowers...so appealing in a mini quilt.
Bev offers lots of really cute patterns and tutorials on her site, a great spot for a visit and look about. 

And for us who love hand work, Spruce Crafts has 8 Scandinavian Embroidery Patterns to try. The work of Mollie Johanson and I love them. 
I just saw this pattern for sale at the Posie Gets Cozy site and thought, yeah that's me. :D Any of you identify?

Alicia creates such pretty designs to cross stitch and embroider. Her latest spring designs are gorgeous.
As soon as it warms up outside, I'm off to give the inside of the car a cleaning...hasn't been cleaned since last fall.
Hope you can get outside too and enjoy the day!
 Sharing this post with Alycia QuiltsKathy's Quilts and Quilting Patchwork Applique.

27 comments :

Nancy J said...

A few days heatwave down here, yesterday the town closest to us had a high of 28C, and as I did baking in the early morning, very early, ( for a friend to take and say thanks to the vet and the digger driver who both came to assist when her old dog suddenly collapsed) it was 23C in the kitchen at 6 a.m. The same friend and her 3 grandies came on Wednesday and in 3 hours had moved and stacked 7.2 cubic metres of dry firewood, the second large load, as well as 3 cubic m. from a local school that was fundraising.Sadly some of that is still green, so left it outside in a thrown pile to dry if we get some more sun and rain.
Free goodies on the net, I am making bags and am amazed at so many sites that offer free patterns. I have one favourite that a friend gave me years ago, it's a never fail one.A bit like a favourite recipe.Hope you have a fun day cleaning the car.XXX

Angela said...

You made me smile. My dog's paws smell like corn chips too! My SIL is a vet and she says that smell means the dog is healthy.

Robin said...

Nice little find at the thrift shop. I enjoy seeing pictures of people who blog. I love to put a face with the name.

Jenny said...

Hi Jocelyn, so nice to see those older photos of you both, and your thrifty little bird looks right at home in the grouping.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your thrift shop bird is lovely, and now I want one! I enjoyed your photo display, too. Oh yes, on the saltwater smell - we live in landlocked Colorado and I need to get to that saltwater every year. So many fun ideas in your free finds! I love the little black and white houses with the fun colorful French knot flowers. I might need to make that one!

PaintedThread said...

Library smell. Yes! I like the smell of clean guinea pigs. I am amused that Ned's paws smell like corn chips. I like your latest embroidery project.

Out To Pasture said...

What a pretty display with your family photos and ornamental treasures on a fancy table cloth! Like you, I absolutely love the salty air (especially accompanied by the sound of waves on sand). Also enjoy the scents of wild white water lilies, manes of horses and freshly cleaned air after a rain.

LA Paylor said...

Ned! have you been eating fritos? I love pups and Ned and oh to see Murphy again. The pic of your hubs on a trike! so cool. Great find on bird and I'm going to go check out those free patterns. I just love french knots. I still haven't started my down the garden path snippet embroidery roll.

Daisy Debs said...

I haven't been thrift shopping for ages ! Even just browsing is fun . Shizuko Kuroha's patchwork book was a very lucky find , well done you ! I will give you just one of my favourite smells .....now don't laugh , but it's tarred string ! Your "snow Days " embroidery is coming along nicely .I love these clever snow embroideries . Thankyou for the links . I will enjoy exploring them later on today . Hugs Debbie x

Nann said...

Great thrift shop find, Jocelyn. I went to two estate sales today--one was an auto body shop whose owners are retiring. Nothing that I could repurpose for sewing or even for about the house. At the other I spent $1.00 for a red cotton bandanna. (I have a modest collection.).......Favorite smells? I like the slightly dusty/musty smell of vintage fabric. And old books that have been properly stored (nothing from that damp basement!).....When we go on one of our walks at Illinois Beach my husband says that it smells "wrong." Looks like the ocean but no salt tang.

Jackie said...

It is melting here and I am hopeful that most if not all our new accumulation of snow will be gone by the end of the weekend.

Love those links to free patterns.

God bless.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

You found some items at the quilt shop. Nice prices for them too. Thanks for the links to the free patterns. They look good! I like your scents too. I think Ned is eating your snacks!

Linda said...

I always enjoy your thrift finds, we would have fun shopping together. I just wrote on another blog that I love that library smell and miss it. I haven't been to a library in many years. Love the photos of you and Tony.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Fun and pretty items here, The book looks great too.
Thank you for sharing all these goodies, and linking up!

Bernie Kringel said...

I am also a lover of thrift shops. The photos you have on display with the bird are really sweet. Thank you for sharing them with us. As for smells - one of my favorites is the smell of the ground after a good soaking rain. I mentioned this to my son one day and he told me the word for that smell is "petrichor". I didn't know that and now I love the word. Also love the smell of freshly mown grass. Can you tell it is spring time??

Lorraine said...

Great thrift shop scores.

Preeti said...

One of my favorite smells is petrichor, same as Bernie :-) Among perfumes, I love the smell of sandalwood. I also love the smell of baking bread and roasting corn on the cob! Yes, of course, old library books too. To top them all, I love the smell of Paul. Call me crazy - I deep inhale his dirty t-shirts.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Neat photos of you and hubby! Starting another house huh? Enjoy the process - you may even get me going on another one and maybe I can remember all the lessons I learned from making those blocks! I cleaned out the inside of both vehicles about 4 months ago, and it is time now to clean the outside. Here in South Texas we are really getting the change from La Nino to El Niño which means that we just might break the 3 year drought! It will be an enjoyable day. PS - I need to go thrift shopping! You always find the neatest things! Hugs

Linda said...

I love the smells of spring, especially after a rain. Thanks for the links to the free patterns, will check them out.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

It is so nice to hear that is warming up and you are enjoying signs of spring. Great find at the thrift shop. Thank you for the links to the darling freebies.

Karrin Hurd said...

I love to go to thrift stores, you made great finds! I love the smell of the ocean, I even love the smell of seaweed!

CathieJ said...

All of our local thrift shops have closed. I haven't been in one in years. I don't like to enter the one where I drop off my own items as the neighborhood is somewhat sketchy. Your quilt book was a fabulous find! The little bird is cute. I like the smell of cinnamon any time of year. Thanks for all the links.

Deb A said...

Great post! I guess if the dog paws smell is healthy, I need to have someone check our pup's paw smell to see if it is like corn chips! Me - I love the smell of fresh mowed grass and lilacs in bloom, and baking bread. Hope you have a wonderful week.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jocelyn what wonderful thrift finds you found ,great bargains there .
I am new to your blog and I am now following you,thankyou for visiting me,it was much appreciated.
Oh your little house is coming along nicely ,well done on your beautiful work 🌹🤍🌹

Miaismine said...

You know, I’ve never seen plants push through ice…ice? Wow….
Ahhh…sweet pictures. You too look so comfortable with each other!
Beautiful Japanese quilting book! While in Okinawa, I was wowed by their hand pieced, hand quilted wonders.
My favorite smells? Coffee brewing, my husband’s cologne, fresh cut grass, rain, the ocean…

Your hand embroidery is lovely.
Thank you for sharing all the freebies. It was via your site that I found Days Filled with Joy’s Teacup Critters!
Happy Stitching!



Magpie's Mumblings said...

Looks like you found a couple of treasures at the thriftie.
Thank you for the wonderful links - I've printed the pattern for the wee houses because I have a mind to make one of them into a postcard.
As for my favourite smells - bread baking; garlic cooking; and fresh laundry that's been line dried.

Jenn Jilks said...

Great finds! What fun.