Friday 2 June 2023

Courthouse Steps in Blues, Mail, Hand Injury

 Days flying by... June already which is crazy. We broke a weather record for heat yesterday. The former high was 29C and we had it 39C (102F) here in the Ottawa Valley. That is extreme, but no humidity thankfully. We pulled the drapes and halted the outside chores.  

Look at how quickly all the leaves have opened!

LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is what is our favourite ice cream flavour. Mine is Haagen-Dazs' Salted Caramel. I can't have it in the house. I do not have a sweet tooth but this is delicious to me...maybe it's the salt against the sweet. So what would be your favourite?  Do you like your ice cream slightly melted like I do? I think the all time favourite is still vanilla.  Quick question...I've heard Rocky Road flavour originated in Australia. True?

Mail Call

A lot of ads for this product below kept showing up on my Facebook feed. I took the online test to determine which shade would be best for me. I normally just need the lightest/palest of anything.  I wondered about the texture and whether it would feel greasy on my face. It doesn't at all. The first day I wore it, when daughter came over she said you look nice and I wondered if this new face balm was the reason. :) Bobbi Brown's Jones Road tinted moisture balm. Here is a link. Not affiliated. 

And my copy of Quiltmania, Issue 155, arrived.  A pretty summer edition. Folks who have access to Dutch prints are so lucky as they are the prettiest of florals it seems. 
I'm working on a house in reds for the Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL. And I've made a start on a lap quilt for SIL.  I'm using blues and a traditional red in the middle for heart of the home. I'm also including light yellows and deep orange bits for sunrise, sunset. He is busy from sunrise to sunset...never stops so a little nod to all that he does and hopes/wants to do. These blocks are foundation paper pieced Courthouse Steps and machine stitched of course. Lighter blues show off the darker nicely. Going to link up with  So Scrappy.
I'm enjoying including some of the thrift store men's shirts material in these. Can you spy them? I'm making this a goal for June...to have all the blocks sewn. Linking with Elm Street Quilts.

I had a small injury on Monday. I was carrying an armload of pool stuff down concrete steps in the back when the dogs swept by me a little too close. I moved my body to avoid them and that took me down to my knees on the step. Somehow I hurt my left ankle and saved myself from falling all the way down with my right hand. The ankle was only momentarily aching but my right hand didn't fare as lightly. I have two fat fingers...middle and ring. That has affected my grasp which hurts as well when I bend them. But they are fine just a little sore. I've been more worried about the hand stitching which turns out to be okay, just a little slower than usual. It could have been so much worse so I am feeling very thankful this week. Thankful as well that I have a high threshold of pain which has stood me well over the years.  Update Friday...hand feels fine and the ring finger knuckle is still a little swollen, can't wear a ring. Wow, when I look at those steps... I was so lucky...
Please all of you, stay upright and have a great weekend!

32 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your fall, Jocelyn! It's a terrible feeling when those things happen and we can't catch ourselves. Glad your hand is getting better already. Your Courthouse Steps blocks are so pretty in the blues with a red center. That seems like a great quilt design for your SIL. Have a wonderful weekend yourself!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it seems like it is the steps that get up and when we start to fall we depend on our hands - I have heard that is how so many end up with broken fingers or wrist! Glad it is not too bad. I love the ice cream you mention. You are getting high heat for this time of year are the wild fires near you? They have been mentioning the Canadian wildfires a lot this week with the smoke drifting south along the coastal states.

Susie H said...

I'm so glad your fall wasn't any worse than it was, Jocelyn! That was a close call! We love our pets but sometimes they are a danger to us. Gracie likes to jump & spin while on her leash if she spies another dog. Numerous times I've almost gone down (and a couple of times I did!) as her back end swept around and clipped my legs right out from under me. I think your SIL will appreciate the beautiful quilt you're making for him and especially for all the thoughtfulness put into it as well. Have a great Friday!

PaintedThread said...

Ouch! I hope you heal up quickly. Salted caramel is good - sweet with the salty is why I like chocolate covered pretzels. :-) I like your Courthouse Steps.

Libby in TN said...

Whew, that was a close call! My greatest fear these days is falling. I hold on to handrails and try to keep my pathways clear of clutter.

cityquilter grace said...

my fave is black raspberry...never buy it in a large container for obvious reasons....sigh dutch fabrics are to die for...wish i had a gazillion of them...glad you avoided serious injury or fracture...

Anonymous said...

Glad you did not hurt yourself too badly. I fell a week ago and injured my right hand and wrist. Had it x-rayed…no fractures thankfully. These minor falls are a good reminder to be more careful! It’s been hot here this week too. Ice cream is a great treat in a hot day. I don’t keep it in my house either. Your courthouse steps blocks are coming along nicely. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Jocelyn said...

Oh goodness Jocelyn, take care. It is so easy to fall. Hope you will feel much better soon.

Jenny said...

It is so upsetting when you take a tumble, thank goodness you didn't fall all the way down the steps. Do hope your injuries heal quickly. I dont date a lot of icecream, believe it or not I dont really like it that much. But when I do, my favourites are hokey pokey icecream, and boysenberry!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Favourite ice cream flavour for me would have to be Salted Caramel Truffle from Kawartha Dairy, closely followed by Moose Tracks.
I love the blue courthouse steps blocks (could it be because blue is my favourite colour?).
So sorry that you fell but, if it had to happen, at least the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I'm so glad to hear the fall wasn't too bad but it sounds like you still got hurt. I hope you're fine. I love your Courthouse Steps. The blues are gorgeous!

Jackie said...

Ouch, I am so sorry that you had a fall. Since I have osteoporosis I have become so very careful.

I love the blocks you are making. Just so pretty.

My favourite ice cream is probably maple walnut.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

The greens are sure looking vibrant and your quilt blues are sure pretty!

Pamela Dempsey said...

I’m so glad you are alright, could have really been worse. I have a very hard time getting up since my knees are painful to get on, fear of falling !🫣 Your 102 temperature is so surprising for being so far north. Our temperatures have begun getting to lower 90s this week, I hate the summer heat and humidity. Have to get things done in the morning but it can still be miserable. I haven’t tried salted caramel but chocolate covered pretzels 🥨 are so good 😊

Linda said...

Ah Jocelyn, I'm so glad your fall wasn't worse. That feeling when you know it's happening is just awful. I relate to the high threshold of pain, and I'm very grateful for it. That quilt for your SIL is very attractive! Hope you have a good and healing weekend.

Jenn Jilks said...

You did well escaping with those injuries. So sorry to read this. I hope you heal quickly.
Love the Dutch quilt!

Carolyn said...

Oh gosh—it could have been so much worse! Thank goodness it wasn’t. I like the blue log cabin quilt. Thrifted shirts always add a nice appeal. I don’t often eat ice cream, but when I do, I like plain old Dutch chocolate. I like to put in a cup and pour milk over it.

Nancy said...

It's so sad about your fall. Glad it wasn't worse for you.
Your blue log cabin blocks are so fun with the bits of sunrise/sunset colors.
The green leaves against the blue sky look beautiful!
And oh, it's early for 102 degrees! We've had temps in the 90s this week. I hope that doesn't indicate a hot, hot summer!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Scarey fall! So glad you are healing, it could have really immobilized you! Love your courthouse steps! The new header is fabulous! We had record highs this week too but yours exceeds ours! So weird! Sending hugs!

CathieJ said...

I have several flavors of ice cream that I love: chocolate chip, coffee chip and my latest: toasted coconut. I think you deserve some ice cream with that extreme heat. Oh my! I like your SIL's quilt. I am always a Log Cabin fan along with any variation of it. So sorry to hear about your fall. I am glad it wasn't worse.

Sara said...

It's so easy to take a fall as we get older. Glad your injuries were not more serious. I do love those blue blocks. Log Cabins & Courthouse Steps are such great blocks.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your courthouse steps blocks are wonderful. I love the reason behind the yellows and oranges. The color pops enhance those blocks! Bummer about the fall. So glad you weren't hurt more and happy that you are on the mend!!!!

Daisy Debs said...

So sorry to hear about your fall . Hope the bruising goes away quickly and not too painful . That must have really shaken you up . Poor thing . Glad you can still sew . I love all your patchwork , beautiful ! Hugs Debbie 💐x

Bonnie said...

Sorry to hear about your fall but glad you only had minor damage. Our leaves came out weeks ago. All the spring flowering trees have dropped their petals. Hopefully are gorgeous lillies will start blooming soon. I agree -- stay upright folks.

QuiltGranma said...

Oh, Jocelyn, I am so very sorry this happened. I hope you get checked out by a medical person to be sure that you are OK. Beasties can be beasties! I will add you to my prayers!

CarolE said...

I'm so glad your fall wasn't worse than it was. I like coffee flavored ice cream :)

K Reeves said...

Yikes! Falling gets more and more dangerous as you get older! I took a bad step while walking Bandit last week, and had a very colorful shin that hurt most of the week. I never used to do that, but have mis stepped a couple of times in the last year. 🙄

Your quilting project for your SIL is a beauty. I do love blues, and the shirt fabrics look great!

Anne-Marie said...

Hope you continue to heal with no long term damage. Good luck with your OMG.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your fall, Jocelyn, but am grateful you weren't hurt worse. Take good care of yourself as you heal and don't overdo it! We love our fur babies but they can be dangerous to us at times. Wow 102 degrees. You are hotter than us in the south! We are just getting into the 90s...which is hot enough for me! LOL Love your Courthouse Steps blocks. Thanks for sharing with us on Monday Musings!

AnnieO said...

Love all the quilty plans and progress.
Falling as an adult is never not scary! Hope your fingers feel better soon.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! I am so glad you weren't severely hurt on the stairs. God's hand was keeping you from falling all the way. The blocks that you've started for your SIL are so pretty. I just love the different shades of blue with the pop of yellow, orange, and the center reds. That salted caramel ice cream sounds yummy to me. I do like my ice cream slightly melted, too. Yum. Take care. {{Hugs}} a bunch! ~smile~ Roseanne

Chookyblue...... said...

I had a stupid fall on my knees last week....... Jarred into my hip and lower back also.......
Nice blue quilt.......