Friday 9 June 2023

Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL, Feelings, Monarch Applique

Mr. and Mrs. American Goldfinch...I hope they are discussing housing options here at the wooden house. I love to watch them.

Here is a red house for the Rainbow Neighbourhood QAL with my paper pieced star block.
They are being stitched faster but I'm not sure any better. I am planning a lighter colour for the next one perhaps in peaches or summery kinds of shades. 

With my Rainbow Neighbourhood project nearing an end, I'm thinking about an applique project next. Maybe this one, Monarch, from Laundry Basket Quilts. I've had this pattern for years and I just may have enough different fabrics to do these butterflies justice. That was my hold back till now. A wonderful theme for summer.
It would make great veranda stitching too.
Speaking of which, we've been under a cloud of smoke from the forest fires to the north and east of us. Alarmingly bad air quality. Haze is very hard to photograph but this was afternoon of a supposedly sunny day. It actually darkened for a couple of hours which looked and felt terrible.
And the sun was oddly red which my camera could not capture. This is what I got.
It has been a relief to hear the fires are under control.

LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week was about a memory from childhood of eating ice cream. Mine is a common one for North America I think. Much enjoyed summer Sunday afternoon drives with my family growing up in Corner Brook, Newfoundland, often involved stopping for an ice cream cone at a drive-in called Wellon's. That would have been hard ice cream in vanilla, strawberry or chocolate flavours, nothing fancy. 
 Here is Jennifer Mitchell's winter time video showing a small portion of the drive we took so often through the Humber Valley over the years. I didn't appreciate how spectacular the scenery was till much later in life.
I have to mention all the emails and comments I received from the remarks I made about feeling stressed in my last post. I had tears in my eyes as I read them as so many of you took the time to tell me what works for you or to offer a solution or link or kind words too. All so appreciated by me. 
Here's what I've been doing. I'm a doer and like to research, find solutions, make a plan-all that right away. I realized I have to stop doing that; I cannot solve other people's problems as dearly as I would like to. I have to stop overthinking the big picture, trying to solve big problems right now. I also need to stop/slow down the anticipating of issues which my overactive imagination makes me do all the time. Worst case scenarios are my specialty especially in the middle of the night. One day at a time is going to be my challenge and what a challenge that will be for the next while. And as someone said to me if it has to be one hour at a time, go with that too. And that's enough whining from me too!  xxoo to you all. 
Linking this post with Kathy's Quilts.

16 comments :

Magpie's Mumblings said...

The sun here has been 'odd' too and we can smell the smoke in the air, although I know not to the degree it is elsewhere.
Ice cream memory for me has to be the 5-Mile Ice Cream Cones my parents used to buy when they were coming home from town and had to get gas. Dad would buy us each a cone and it would take us five miles (until we got home) to eat them. Always vanilla because for him there was no other flavour.

Jennifer said...

Sending hopes that your fires will be out soon.....we here in Australia know about fires too. That's a lovely picture with the green foliage and little yellow birds!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those Goldfinches are sure pretty and so is that red house. Those fires are really scary and getting them under control would sure be great.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

The red house block is beautiful and the Monarch quilt would be a fabulous project. It sounds like you are working out a great plan- One day at a time - Bright days are ahead. Have a wonderful and blessed weekend.

Linda said...

I hope the finches decide to stay at your B&B. ;) I look forward to your Monarch quilt, if you decide to do it. The scenery is amazing on the drone flight. You and I sound a lot alike, my husband says I make up things to worry about. And I have always tried to help folks by researching to solve their problems, and it never works - I am always disappointed that they don't take my advice/solutions because it makes so much sense to me - lol! I wish you good luck with your resolution.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Our skies are clear today. They've been hazy all week. I love how your house block came out. I love that pattern from Laundry Basket Quilts. I like a lot of their patterns and fabrics. I hope the finches choose a nice spot!!

Nanette Chopin Cook said...


I am also a ‘fixer’. I am trying to give that one up! I get frustrated if I have my day planned but then those pesky interruptions happens, it takes me away from what I love to do. The older I get the more trying to help someone or being interrupted is very annoying. I keep on trying for 1 (one) week of nothing interrupting me. But do not think that will happen !!!! Hugs and I love your Red House.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your goldfinches - they are so fun to see! And the red house turned out beautifully. The sky looks awful there - we have had wildfire smoke like that here in Colorado over the years, and it is very worrisome. Hard not to be able to go outside like normal, too. I could relate so well to your last paragraph - it's so hard not to do all of those things! But I keep telling myself - worry doesn't solve anything - especially in the middle of the night. Hope you're finding ways to manage your worry and stress.

Anonymous said...

Some of us feel the stress more than others. I take a long walk every morning and try to go easy on myself as far as how much I need to do each day, allowing myself permission to put the things I don’t get done on my list to the next day or the next week . Love your bird pictures!!! Take care of yourself! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Jackie said...

We had that same odd sun from the fires in Alberta and the northern part of our province. Seems to have gone back to normal now.

Love the butterflies.

God bless.

Susie H said...

Loved the drive thru the Humvee video. Beautiful and certainly no haze that day! I'm glad you've got a formula to help you alleviate your stress. Keep up with your walks and I hope you have a terrific Sunday.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful picture of the goldfinches. Sorry about the poor air quality. Hope it clears up soon!

Deb A said...

What beautiful birds! I hope they decide to stick around so you can enjoy them. We had 2 spots in the summer- one for a creemee (soft serve) and the other was a homemade hard ice cream made locally and tons of flavors. I was boring and always got chocolate at both places! I'm glad to hear the fires are under control, but the haze and destruction of so much land is really sad. As for the stress/emotions.... I opted to get a little medical help to 'shut my brain down at night' and it does wonders for me with the overwhelming feeling of too many things happening at once stress. Getting out to walk and using the ' oh well, I'll get to it tomorrow' has helped a lot. Hope you find a combination of things that works for you.

Kim said...

We sound a lot alike in being what I call "fixers." So I've given myself a new catch-phrase/mantra which is: "not my problem." I'm trying to stick to it, though I mess up some times.

It's been fun to see your house blocks progressing.

PaintedThread said...

Smoke has been crazy. Love those goldfinches.

LA Paylor said...

I missed your stressed post since I'm so stressed by the issues in my country right now. I take on too much and wonder what I can do or say to stop it all. My husband says not to take it on, that kind people don't need to hear it, and the others refuse to hear it. Anyway, nice memory of getting ice cream and as always your photos... so good
LeeAnna