Monday 19 June 2023

Free Patterns, Blue Courthouse Steps, Rosy Garden

 The rose bushes are all in bloom. This year the first blooms opening up were tinged by pink because of the cooler temperatures we had had when they were buds...low single digits overnight and staying cooler during the day. 

These hardy bushes will bloom all summer and into October as I noted last fall. The bees love them too. I must look where I could purchase more of them. 

Sitting waiting for grandson one day, I watched the chinstrap Canada Geese stand about in parking lot puddles. It was very hot that day and they just stood there looking a little sad. By the end of the day, all the puddles had dried up and the geese were gone too. More of them are not trekking further north like they normally would do. 

That day was such a busy and sweltering one we opted to visit the neighbourhood drive in, the Crispy Spud, to pick up supper. Family run and so friendly. They make great hamburgers with fresh meat not frozen and poutine as well. 
The measuring, cutting and stitching sashings for the house project is once again top priority this week. 
Below are a few more blue courthouse steps blocks which is like fun stitching in comparison to the houses.
. No overly exact measuring required and just have to follow the straight lines on the foundation papers. I like the look of them together; much brighter than I had thought they would be. Seeing them together like this is helpful as perhaps I need more darks now in the next blocks. I didn't want this quilt to be too dark. 

I keep coming across great free patterns that I must share with you.

First up is  Avlea Embroidery where Krista shares sweet little cross stitch and embroidery designs and some that are free as well. She offers many of her designs as kits and they are beautiful. I have my eye on the beginners embroidered Peloponnesian Pomegranate kit that comes with its own beechwood hoop. Here is a sample of her work which would make a sweet edging. 


Krista also provides several lovely How To Videos

And I couldn't resist sharing this one...Fruity Grapes from Fave Quilts. Some of us have been trying our hand at paper pieced hexagons. This placemat is a fun idea for using them. 

That reminded me of strawberries which will be ripening soon in July here in Ontario. There are numerous strawberry patterns to be found online. Here is just one from My Patchwork World where  Hatun Comak leads us through how to sew this strawberry mini quilt. 

There are loads of interesting patterns from many designers to be found at that link.

My week is off to a good start and keeping very busy both inside and outside will be part of it. Thursday we have appointments and will be dropping several bags of clothes and goods at the thrift store along the way. It will feel good just to have that stuff gone. I'm including in that lot a number of quilting and cross stitch books that I bought at thrift stores over the years. I'm finally realizing I can't make all the the things! 
          Hope everything is rosy in your garden!
Sharing with these happy creative folks...Songbird DesignsWendy's Quilts and More,  So Scrappy and Alycia Quilts.

18 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your roses are pretty with their pink tint, Jocelyn! Interesting how the geese will find water like that. We've had mallard pairs land in little puddles on our street, too. They hang around for awhile and then leave again! The Courthouse Steps blocks are lovely with all the different blues in them.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Thanks for sharing all the free patterns and stithery you find, Jocelyn. Loving the Courthouse Step blocks! The Crispy Spud looks like a great place. Fresh HB is always better than frozen, IMO! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings.

Jenny said...

Pretty Rose's, and sad looking geese! Are any of those fires and smoke by you? I've never done courthouse steps but I do have a log cabin quilt languishing in pieces somewhere.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your roses, the quilt and the geese. The hamburger place looks like a place I would go to - we have one here that is based on a 1950's style hamburger joint with red and white decor and a butcher case at the front with fresh meat to show you that they shape your patty as they get the order

Daisy Debs said...

Oh! Roses are doing really well here too this month . I love these open faced roses , they are the best ones for the bees 🐝 . I'm also loving your patchwork ! x

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I bet those roses smell heavenly. I've always loved the old-fashioned roses simply because they generally do have more scent.
Of course I'm particularly in like with the courthouse steps - because - well, blue!!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those flowers are very pretty and the blues in your quilt and so, so pretty!

Jackie said...

I have no luck growing roses. They last a few years and then die. I even get the ones suitable for our zone.

I love the blue courthouse blocks. The strawberry one interests me as well.

God bless.

Astrid said...

Love your blue Courthouse Step blocks! Thanks for the links, there are so many great patterns out there. Love the little strawberry block. The Crispy Spud looks like a nice place with delicious food.

Linda said...

LOVE roses tinged with pink! Yum, the Tasty Spud looks like my kind of place. I like the blues with those little pops of color in your courthouse steps.

Jeanna said...

Those rose bushes are pretty. They look substantial and healthy. It's nice you can enjoy the blooms for so long. We moved into a new house in April - hence my absence from blogland - and have many boxes that need to be unpacked. My plan is to do some purging along the way. Like you, I'll never make all the things!

Susie H said...

Your Courthouse Steps blocks are so pretty. Love the color-play you're doing with them. Gorgeous roses. I thought they were camellias! Guess you're a little too north for those though.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Your courthouse blocks are really wonderful! Thank you for the inspiration and free patterns as well. Those roses are GORGEOUS! So delicate looking!

Shireen Glen said...

Amazing roses and capture moments! I really like.

Chookyblue...... said...

Lots happening...... The roses are pretty

Quilter Kathy said...

Your blue courthouse steps blocks are very pretty!
Thank for the freebie links - so many fun projects!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful roses, Jocelyn, and I absolutely LOVE the way your Courthouse Steps are coming together!! Those little pops of yellow and gold really perk up all that BLUE.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The Crispy Spud sounds like a great place!! I love the name!!
your Blue Courthouse steps are coming along nicely!!