Friday 23 June 2023

Rainbow Neighbourhood Quilt Flimsy, Family

My week has gone well and included a visit with older daughter who lives about 30 minutes away. I love her little house so much; while it is ideal for a single person as herself it would also make the perfect retirement home. The back of the house has two huge bay windows and the side windows are extra large so a very bright house inside. 

When I moved here to Ottawa, I had intended to live with her in this house. We had a two bedroom apartment built in the basement for me and that has never been lived in. I met Hubby and the plan completely changed for me. 

In completely different other news, my Rainbow Neighbourhood quilt is a flimsy!

First up, here are blocks I sewed that didn't make it into the final houses for one reason or another.

And I used this fabric below for my cornerstones. I first had the plan to make each cornerstone a different colour since the sashings are all the same neutral and then I came across this. Here is what was left of the sashing fabric too...cut it a little bit close. 
I think the design looks like tall buildings and is called Homeward from Free Spirit. It was a special way to use up a small piece of fabric. 
I took it outside to see if the colours would show better in natural light. Somewhat successful but it's disappointing that the sashings black flecks don't appear at all. I'll get a photo later which hopefully will show the sashings are not completely white!

 And of course a breeze had to appear just as I was trying to take photos. I am happy with the accuracy of 7 of the houses. Right now this is 62 in. x 58 in. so a good lap size for sure. I especially enjoyed sewing the different blocks for the house side. 

 Imperfections abound. I am a scissors cutter and it could have been worse, LOL Lost a point here and I could go back and tease it out I suppose.

Didn't quite match up here. And there are others, sigh.
And for the backing, I'm looking at Diann's Little Penguin Quilts's post HERE where she shows excellent backing suggestions. I would like to use those orphan blocks I made if I can. That's a weekend job for me.

As I stated in another post, Sandra's Rainbow House pattern instructions are in depth and wonderful. Besides variations of houses, they include instructions for many star blocks, trees, and hearts to flesh out your neighbourhood.  I'm very pleased to have taken part in her QAL and would definitely sign up for another! Check out her mmmquilts link to see the wonderful (and precisely sewn!) neighbourhoods folks are posting. 

Below is younger daughter Beth, the cake maker, and younger grandson, Robbie. They live not that far from Lake Mississippi-less than a 5 minute drive and have a boat. They can go fishing after work during these long evenings which they did recently. I really liked this photo of the happy fisherfolk, which I guess is what they are called these days.
They had a fish fry the next night which they shared and we enjoyed the fish very much. So much better tasting than what I buy in the grocery store and am paying an insane price for these days. 
We have more ground hogs again. Three little ones appeared one day scrambling about the front yard. A quick look around and this new hole was found where I dump the weeds and clippings, not near a walkway thankfully.

I'm not that worried about the population increase as ground hogs are solitary and these will be encouraged to move on and find their own territory before too long. Just like the three from last year did.

LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week was about the fun of ice cream trucks driving around neighbourhoods. This did not happen during my time in my province that I know of but it is iconic in American movies and such a wonderful summertime thing. You can pop over there to read folks' wonderful ice cream truck memories. I do have fond memories of when Dixie Cups appeared with their dainty wooden spoon/spatulas and also when delicious Drumsticks came available. Do you have any such delicious ice cream memories? 

Summer Solstice was this week. Time is precious that's for sure. 

22 comments :

Nancy J said...

The ice cream van where we lived years ago was a " Mr Whippy", it was in the town, not on our remote road, and at some time when we lived at Lake Tarawera I also looked after a wee 5 year old girl in holidays and when she broke her arm.Our next door neighbour was Mr Webby, but she always called him Mr Whippy. What a memory from some 30 or more years ago.And as I grew up on a farm, a metal road, nearest small town 30 minutes away, I didn't have anything like that when young.Today everything seems to be so much more sophisticated, but thinking of the underwater tragedy, not always better.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

having lived in the country for most of my life we never experienced ice cream trucks either - when we would visit our daughter when she lived in Wisconsin though we saw them come now and then through their small town but she said they didn't come to her area often - I guess it just depended on where you lived.
Your family photos are nice indeed- that would make a nice house to live in for like you say a small family with an apartment in the basement

Jenny said...

So nice to see the photo of the very happy Fisher folk. Your houses look great. I'm not a perfect piecer either, and dont worry about the occasional missing point. After all, as people used to say, "a blind man would be pleased to see it". My motto is, do your best, and enjoy what you do!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Imperfections? I think not! After all, only God makes things perfectly.
Ice cream memories - when I was a kid growing up on the farm my dad would take animals to market and on those days, on our way home, we would stop for gas and buy what we called '5 Mile Ice Cream Cones'. Name came because we were 5 miles away from home and it would take that long to eat them.

Jackie said...

Your flimsy is lovely, the houses turned out beautifully.

Growing up we had an ice cream truck visit us in Scarborough as well as what we used to call "the pop corn man". I loved hearing their bells letting us know they had arrived in the neighbourhood.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That is a very nice little house! I think your quilt looks beautiful. That's a nice bass catch too!!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Looks like a great day to be fishing- Wonderful photo of your daughter and grandson. Your neighborhood quilt is looking amazing. Have a lovely weekend.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - love the mentions of your family, and especially the photo of the "fisherfolk". Here in Montana, I "get around" any offense by calling people "anglers" rather than a "fisherman". Oy vey!

We have a new big burrow dug in our garden, and I am trying to figure out it it is ground squirrel, rabbit or badger! Maybe the trail cam will tell us the truth!

Have a great weekend!

Lin said...

Your flimsy looks great and if you didn't point out the imperfections nobody would notice! xx

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love your neighborhood top! Such a happy piece and those cornerstones are PERFECT! What a nice thing to have a fresh fish fry with family. Perfect summer activity if you ask me! Sending hugs1

Linda said...

Your daughter has such a cute little house, and what a sweet story about meeting your Hubby - I did not know. My Mom's childhood sweetheart reconnected with her 6 years after Daddy died and one year after his wife died. They had a whirlwind romance and got married in Las Vegas at age 75! They had 14 happy years before he died and then Mom moved in with us.
Your house quilt is so pretty Jocelyn! I love the blocks you made and the tall buildings sashing looks great.
Your slim Beth looks like she doesn't eat any of her cakes - lol! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

PaintedThread said...

I like your neighborhood. It's amazing how hard it can be to line stuff up with sashing. I don't know if I've ever got one to be perfect. Do you know that ground hog underground dwellings can be the size of a bus? Industrious critters!

LA Paylor said...

such cute houses, and yea! the cake baker! What a gorgeous fish... just nature's palette is so pretty.
We had those itsy bitsy ice cream cups with wooden spoons for dessert on some Fridays in elementary school... big treats
LeeAnna

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful flimsy. I remember ice cream trucks coming to my neighborhood growing up in Maryland.

gladiquilts said...

Your house quilt top looks great! My advice is to not pay any attention to minor imperfections as almost no one else will ever notice them unless you are competing for ribbons in competitions! The joy is in the making. I grew up on a farm in a very rural area, so no ice cream trucks for me. I remember the hand cranked ice cream maker!🙂

Bonnie said...

The fisherfolk should be very proud of that catch. We used to visit friends at their lake cabin and have catfish for breakfast every once in a while. (Details are gone as those visits were over 50 years ago!) Your neighborhood is delightful. I know you don't like the missing corners but I'm all for the finish rather than rehashing bad corners. Although I admit every once in a while I'll take sections apart and redo trying for better results. I've mostly lived in suburbs of bigger cities so yep, I remember the ice cream trucks coming through in the summer. You'd hear the bells jingling before the truck would arrive and make a mad dash to get some money so you could enjoy a treat. Now, I keep similar treats in the freezer.

Susie H said...

Nice fish! I most definitely think you should use those spare blocks on the back of the House Quilt. Would make it interesting back there! Lol!

Sara said...

Your neighborhood quilt is awesome! Such fun colors.

dq said...

There was never an ice cream truck where I lived and no neighborhood. Just quiet country space. I do love your neighborhood quilt though - so so much.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Looks like the fisherfolk had a great day! Nice bass! I need to go fishing - LOL! I lived out in the sticks growing up so we never had an ice cream truck come by...but my grandparents had a little country store and I would walk across the road and have ice cream from there! Your neighbourhood is lovely! Thanks for sharing with us at MM.

Sandra Walker said...

Well I am just squealing in delight here at seeing your quilt! It turned out just so lovely, and I love the different blocks you put on the sides of the houses. Honestly I am blown away by the creativity and personalization in each of the quilts! I knew the pattern had lots of opportunity for personalization, but this group took things to a whole other level. Your daughter's house is adorable and sounds similar to ours, though hers is newer: loads of light and small and perfect for a retired couple or one person, as you say. We don't have groundhogs in Alberta, so I am in love with them here, though I am sternly reminded of the damage they can do with their underground homes - one moved under the deck last year by the pool, yikes, so my husband blocked up the new holes, encouraging him/her to move to another location. We did have Dixie Dee ice cream trucks in Edmonton where I grew up, though I think my parents only ever let us have some once or twice. Not much money and a very frugal father... Thanks so much for quilting along and for all your kind words and lovely house creations. I am drawing for prizes shortly after I visit everyone!

Libby in TN said...

Your cornerstone fabric is perfect for your rainbow neighborhood.