Thursday 15 June 2023

Rainbow Neighbourhood, Flowers, Dads

 Hello all, I've been very busy with family stuff and not having many spare moments to visit you, my blogging friends. And I'm beat in the evenings but everything is going along well overall and I seem to have entered a phase where my stress and worry have lessened. I'm very grateful for the positives of life and being able to stick to my mantra of one day at a time.

Supposedly squirrel proof but definitely not chipmunk proof. Note his cheeks are full. 

 The garden is making me so happy this year. All the extra weeding/cleaning has been paying off. Thanks go to older grandson who has been lending a hand too.
LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt was about memories of our fathers.

 My Dad dropped out of university to sign up with the army much to his parent's chagrin. Being from a tiny Newfoundland outport he wanted to see the world and that was exactly what was on the army recruiting sign. And that's how he became a Korean War vet. His role was like Radar's in Mash...operating the radio messaging. Just shy of 6 ft. he worked hard all his life trying to get back into the shape he'd been in while in the army. His regret in life was leaving the army but he did that for a girl he'd met back home, my mother. Dad rarely told his war stories but he told us two things the war taught him were an enormous respect for the people who are Korean and a renewed love of all the wonderful benefits of living in Canada which we should never take for granted he would point out.

 In his 88 years with us, I learned some other things from him...take care of your body-keep fit, read books, be a life long learner...he took French lessons in his 50's, never brag, be an animal lover, respect all peoples-absolutely never use offensive words-the dictionary is full of words he'd say, find ones that won't hurt, and be on time which he meant was actually 15 minutes early.  I became pathologically punctual thanks to that last bit. A smart, loving, somewhat complicated and interesting fellow was my dad. I guess words that could describe most of the human race, LOL.
Stitchy talk
I'm trying not to stress about these houses getting their sashings. Here spread out on my bed. And I wanted to show you the pillowcases from the Flower Power sixties. These were at the farm when I arrived on the scene and are still good to use. Amazing quality. 

 But so far it all has gone well and everything is fitting together well enough. I'm quick to say the imperfections have nothing to do with Sandra's instructions which are wonderful, just my own crooked eye issue. For the sashings, I settled on this fabric that is white with the black flecks throughout it. It seems to be brightening up the overall look as some of my houses are on the darkish edge of the rainbow. Wee Gallery by Dear Stella
I'm also sorting fabric for my butterflies which is fun to do. Trying to convince myself I don't need to order any. I think I'm going to go with brights like my houses here but up a notch as I do think of butterflies as being very colourful. Maybe I'll have a butterfly to show next time.
Hope all is peaceful and relaxed in your world!

Sharing this post with Quilting Patchwork Applique and Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.




21 comments :

Jenny said...

Your dear Dad was full of wisdom, and it's clear that you hold his words in your heart. Your neighbourhood of house blocks is growing nicely, looking forward to the flutter of butterflies grow next.

Jackie said...

I am liking the rainbow neighbourhood.

Enjoy your search for butterfly bright fabrics.

God bless.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love how the chipmunk is on one side of your feeder and a chicken the other! Your dad looks and sounds like a wonderful person - so glad to know you had him for 88 years. I love your sashing fabric for the houses - that will be great!

PaintedThread said...

That chipmunk looks well fed! Your dad sounds like he was an amazing guy. Your houses look great all together.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your father sounds like a very sensible strong man! I too have been busy with family stuff, running to the hospital to visit my great niece an hour away from me takes time and now she is back at the hospital in her home town to recover so I won't see her weekly now but she has more family there thank goodness. Maybe now i can get back to the garden and quilting.

Nancy J said...

Wonderful sashing, and memories of your Dad. My Dad NEVER swore, at all, "bally " was the word he used. He had high ethics, was loyal, honest, and for his limited education, leaving primary school at 11 or so, not able to go to college or university, did so well in the adult world, President, Secretary, of Bowling and Boat clubs, writer of doggerel or short poems, and looking back, he and my Mum sacrificed so much for me as a child and as an adult. I am so glad you are managing each day, one helper makes such a difference.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh your houses are lovely! I do like the print you chose and think it will set off the houses! Have a wonderful weekend!

Susie H said...

Jocelyn, your houses are really looking grand and I'm sure you picked out the perfect sashing. Your Dad sounds like he was a wonderful father, teacher, and inspiration -- quite like my Dad as well. ❤️

Laura said...

Your Dad sounds like a wonderful man! So much to appreciate about him! I have lots of chipmunks here, all very creative in gathering their seed...I love the little cuties! Hubby did have to make a baffle for the bird feeder. Ha, ha! Your houses look great! :)

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those chippies are pretty darn smart. WOW, the rainbow houses sure are pretty!

Rosa said...

Your dad sounds like a good man. The houses are wonderful. Can't wait to see some colorful butterflies on your blog.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love seeing your houses. They look great. I enjoyed reading about your dad. My dad was in the Korean War too. He rarely talked about it. Your father sounded very nice, like you!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your dad was very wise. Lovely flowers, I am afraid to even start messing around in the garden here, it is a wee bit overgrown, and not very deer proof.

piecefulwendy said...

That little chickadee looks so offended that the chipmunk is eating all the goods! Haha! Your dad was a wise fellow, and taught you some good things. Your houses look so nice, and I like your sashing fabric! The flower power pillowcases sure bring back memories!

Nana said...

When I look at his photo and look at you, I can see that you are his daughter.
He tought you good and wise things and everyone still can learn from his words.

Nana

CarolE said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories of your father. What a good man he must have been. My father also served in the Korean war. I am grateful to have a good father growing up as well and he is still going at 94, soon to be 95.

cityquilter grace said...

a lovely tribute to your dad and obviously a man of integrity and quality...blocks looking mighty fine!

K Reeves said...

Your houses will great with that sashing! I enjoyed hearing about your dad, Jocelyn. Today is bittersweet for me, as my dad went home to heaven yesterday. He was a good man, and I have many wonderful memories and life lessons to hold dear,

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What good memories of a great Dad. My dad also served in Korea and had the same to say about the people although he wouldn't share much more than that about his service. I like your sashing fabric. It is good to take one day at a time. Stress takes too much effort and it generally gets one nowhere fast.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful tribute to your father, such a good man. Your houses are lovely, and the sashing fabric looks great!
Thank you for sharing and linking up.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I enjoyed reading your tribute to your Dad. My Dad didn't go to war because he was the only son of a farmer and his efforts were needed here to grow food for the troops. DH's Dad didn't go either, but he was the foreman of the local munitions factory - where, during the height of the war, his entire 'staff' were women.
Loved seeing the wonderful chive flowers - did you know you can make chive vinegar with them?