Monday 26 June 2023

Flaming June, Tidy Up, Quilt Backing

 Something in the news made me think of this painting below. 

This is Leighton's Flaming June. I used to have a magazine picture of this in an old journal back in my early days. Do you like the colour of the dress, the way the folds are painted, the shiny sun/sea (?) behind her head? I know artists would practice a lot to paint fabric folds correctly. I used to think her knee and upturned arm were not quite right length wise. Now with Wikipedia I can read that the artist struggled to get the positioning correct. I love the fabrics and how they are rendered here. Do you think the three colours...coffee/amber brown, dusky burgundy and that flaming orange (just what would you call that colour?) of the dress would be a good choice for a quilt?

From the sublime to the ridiculous... :)
And folding fabric was what I was doing a lot on the weekend. Truthfully the sewing room had been turned into a real mess with fabrics all over the place. I had pulled out a lot to find backing material for the Rainbow Houses, blues for the Courthouse Steps and brights for the butterflies. But before cutting and stitching anything, I made myself clean up, which as you well know, feels great when done. I listened to this documentary on secrets of bumblebees.
And I subscribe to 60 Minutes Australia which features a wide range of topics so endless amusement.
Anyway, for the Rainbow Houses backing, I've sewn together long strips of the colours shown here. The colours are orange, yellow, light blue, red and that daisy printed blue that I've had on hand for ages. Feels good to find a use for it and getting started on the quilting itself is a goal for this week.
I also wanted to gather darker blues for the Courthouse Steps and organize them a little better than the far flung method I had been using. I don't have that many choices in my stash.

But the beauty of Courthouse Steps is I can go through my scraps and use up any of the blues there that would suit size wise.
Upshot of that organizing bit is- instead of little piles spilling over all around, I need to check out storage containers and get one for each project on hand. 

Missed chance to capture the white tailed deer down by the pond. I thought I was being very quiet but they alert so easily.
I had hoped to be stitching on the veranda today after a week of uncomfortable heat and humidity stopped me. But today we have the smokey air back again. Very unpleasant and so worrisome for the devastation these uncontrolled fires are causing. On the news I saw a firefighter from France who is in Quebec to help out say he had never witnessed such forest fires in his life.  Flaming June indeed!  

15 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

There are no cool colors in the Flaming June painting! I suppose in some places, June could be flaming hot - it hasn't been out here in Colorado. I'm sorry the flaming is literal in Canada right now - that is scary and discouraging. Your backing for Rainbow Neighbourhood looks beautiful! I love the darker blue with orange and red.

Susie H said...

I'm so sorry the smoke has returned to your area. I thought they were pretty much out but I guess they're just under control. I think a quilt in coffee, burgundy, and orange could be pretty. Keep the painting picture close at hand for the right shades. Would probably be a lovely Fall quilt. Hope the smoke clears so you can stitch outdoors as you wanted.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

'Far flung method' made me laugh. I, too, subscribe to that method when I'm in the throes of creating something.
I love the colours in that painting...melon colour perhaps?

Julierose said...

I think those three colors would look great together--maybe with some light cream color for a bit of space? Anyhow--that is a lovely painting...
sorry you are having that smokey air again--that is so uncomfortable!!
We have hazy skies today with heat and high humidity...but we finally got some rain overnight...hugs, Julierose

Nancy J said...

Coffee, burgundy, orange, and that " mother of pearl " that is in the sky would be perfect for a quilt. Smoke and fires, that is so scary, are they close to you?

Robin said...

The color combination of shades of orange, brown, and burgundy is very intriguing. Look forward to seeing what you do with that idea.

Jenny said...

Smoky air certainly is a worry, you must be hoping the fires stay well away. I understand there are many of them, over a large area?

Brian's Home Blog said...

It sure is hot and humid here too. That orange is really pretty and so is that deer tail!

Linda said...

Gosh Jocelyn I am captivated by that June painting! Oh my goodness the colors are fantastic. (I might have to steal your idea.) I love everything about it, even the oddly positioned knee and arm - lol!

AnnetteJ said...

That colour which, BTW, is perfect for this June, is called saffron. I'm sorry it's not been good weather wise for you. We had a terrific thunderstorm this morning but the skies are clearing up and we're heading to 24C. Whoohoo! Methinks some deck time is in order. Greetings from Central AB.

Jeanna said...

Love the backing you are putting together for your Rainbow quilt. I sure hope they can put out those fires soon and that your air clears.

Jenn Jilks said...

You are being so productive!
I keep thinking I should DO something, but I don't think it matters. I gave myself permission to manage in the smoke and heat.
Nice painting.

Jackie said...

Man, are you ever getting lots done. I am always amazed at your productivity. I feel like a sloth moving slowly ahead.

Love those blues.

God bless.

cityquilter grace said...

flaming orange aka pumpkin maybe? or bittersweet? photo brings both to mind...

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I love that color of orange! I was just looking at a courthouse steps quilt I made years ago and just love it so much that I made a mental note to repeat it. Good luck on yours. I'll be watching for it!