Tuesday 19 May 2015

Gardening is Good

Oh Adam was a gardener, and God who made him sees

That half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees. 

                                   The Glory of the Garden




Hubby took this photo of me this morning doing my post Victoria Day weekend planting.  These are the tiny sprouted Morning Glories I plant each year and train to climb the wire fence that borders the driveway.  It helps to hide it somewhat and both the leaves and the flowers are so pretty.  It is an unfussy plant to grow and will provide blooms for most of the summer into early fall.

 This was very early; later the UV index climbed to a state of unbearable mugginess I would not have managed this.  I can handle high heat but I find high humidity a bit draining.  I'm curious if the skunks will bother the seeds sprouted in the egg shells.  We'll see.


This fence is for the dog's enclosure; they have approximately four acres as their area but Murphy decided to provide me with moral support and hugged the fence on her side while I worked on the other.  I'm sure she was thinking was there a treat there somewhere for her.

This one planting was a bit of work.  I had to use the pick ax to break the ground beforehand and that fence is longer than it looks, but my, it felt great to be making progress with the garden.


The view from the kitchen window; it's the back yard that is basically the dog run.  That's one of the lilac bushes in the center starting to bloom.  The fir tree on the left is now home to two nests, both by white crowned sparrows. Such a quiet bird, none of the squawking the robins make when you near their nests.  I took this photo while I was waiting for the kettle to boil.


And my lunch...cheese in cranberries, crispbread, an apple, a plum and pickled herring...love anything pickled.
Still have marigolds, cosmos, sunflowers, and impatiens to plant.  They have sprouted but can grow a little more before being put in the ground.
This article explaining why Gardening is Good for you published in the Daily Mail is an interesting read especially the part about how it is considered so good that it is now a bona fide  therapy called Horticulture Therapy.  I know it makes me feel good.

No comments :