Friday 18 November 2016

Auditioning Fabric and Cross Stitching Daydreams


This is my "Shiny and Brite" project (with apologies for its unironed state) where I left it fall of 2014 (yikes). I thought I did this just last year so how in the world did I lose a year of my life!

Yet another way writing this blog is helping me keep track of the projects, and life.
 I also just realized this was the fourth project I'd done from the wonderful Crabapple Hill Studios.  I've worked their Redwork Birds project called "Flight of Fancy", "Autumn's Call", "Gardener's Alphabet" and now "Shiny and Brite".  I've loved them all.




I thoroughly enjoyed the embroidering and I also got to colour.  What a great project when you get to do things you love to do.  No stress. I decided to Feature the post where I showed how I used my light box to trace the pattern.  It's there on the right if you are interested in reading about it.

When I showed you my little array of Christmas fabrics, I realized they were all missing a main colour that is prominent in the piece itself-pink. What a familiar story that is!  I tried the reds and greens, traditional Christmas colours and they really didn't work.
 So out fabric shopping I went.  Now not that that was a burden, mind you.

The little shop I went to, Mad About Patchwork, is a great little place.  It has grown steadily over the years and is now a going concern offering classes and a full range of many fabric lines.  I was able to purchase a couple of patterns that I had bookmarked since last year and never thought I'd find locally.



Well, what do you know.  There in the Christmas fabric section was the exact fabric that coordinated perfectly with the little scrap I'd brought from home and it included pink.  And me and dots; I just love them.


So far, so good.  For once I am not second guessing the fabrics; I'm liking how the colours are looking together.  Pinwheel pattern is a nice easy patchwork block to work out quickly.




  I used this Youtube video by Angela Bowman that shows how to cut 8 half square triangles at once which helped move the process along.




I need to figure out the corner blocks; I'd like to do something more interesting there.  But I'd also like to get this into the sandwich stage as I intend to do some hand quilting with it.
What fun.

Meanwhile, the "Strawberry Fields" cross stitch is advancing nicely, photo next time.  I'm working on the house now and already thinking ahead to the next cross stitch project.  I think I have a Christmas redwork one in my stash that would be perfect for this time of year.


Project wise, I feel I am in control.  I do have two more ready for finishing piecing but I have more confidence that I will do that.

I am so grateful my blogging friends in New Zealand are fine after the unusually strong earthquake they suffered earlier this week.

Hope you are well and feeling in control this weekend too with... whatever.

















No comments :