Sunday 4 March 2018

My Blue Phase and Dining Well

The snow looks like the last week of March snow.  All dirty and icy.

There has been no sign of our walker; I fear he gave up on his walking regime because of all the icy conditions we have had. My own foot where I bent under the toes is still a little twingy sometimes.  That was a near miss for sure.

I've prepped the four blocks of Allie's Garden of Contentment BOM. Following her lead, I enjoyed choosing some very spring like fabric to work with. Lovely slow stitching on the couch there.


And temporarily shelved one project, that being the Scandinavian Christmas. I've been to two fabric shops to find a suitable choice for the binding but just can't find one that really matches.  The browns and reds in this project were rather muddy ones and I didn't have a scrap left over to even take with me but I know I will know it when I see it.  (If that makes any sense).

So that OMG is off the books temporarily.   Actually, after those outings, I did find a fabric that I think will work at least for a narrow sash; I wasn't going to say but I found it at Walmart. It's not the best quality but since this wall quilt won't be going through the washer much, I might be able to get away with it.  Isn't it ironic that I looked through bins and bins of fabric shop materials only to find the exact match in the very tiny Walmart fabric section.  What do you think?

My Indigo Snowballs ate up a lot of my time this month.  I am tracing and cutting the blocks by hand and machine stitching them together in blocks of 16. I now have 6 of these completed.  I would hope to have at least two more of these big blocks done in March perhaps in time to see the last of snow itself go.  Though I am in awe of how quickly it gets the job done, I am not a person who can log long hours at the sewing machine, I've found. And my accuracy does not necessarily improve the more I do it. Go figure!



I will go on the record as saying I want all the A Patchwork Year 12 blocks done and dusted soon maybe by Easter.  Perhaps March will be the month for that accomplishment though I had thought I'd be embroidering the last one sitting on the veranda in the spring just where I had started the first block last summer.  Pleasant memories.

But finishing that project would coincide nicely with the now released first block for the Sarah Fielke The Grasshopper BOM .  So looking forward to that start.  I've settled on Bloomsbury by Franny and Jane as the fabric line which comes with this saying by Virginia Woolfe-

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well".  I'll second that!

Bloomsbury has a nice range of different blues- I seem to be in a blue phase. Do you like it?


Speaking of dining well and keeping blues going .  I made these Blueberry Lemon scones from Sally's Baking Addiction and did as she said and kept the butter frozen up to putting it in the recipe.  I do believe it made the resulting biscuits lighter.  I normally make 12 but Hubby likes them bigger, so I made 8.  I think they're (words he won't want to hear) too big.  The smaller one in the back is mine and I did a taste test- yes, good. With a big mug of tea especially good.


No my head isn't spinning just yet...the beauty of BOM's is the slow release of the work.  One block at a time is so manageable.

Always an abundance of slow stitching, MG's, scrap busting, BOM's and dining well (sort of) here at the wooden house.
Hope your Sunday will be as relaxed as mine is promising to be.

Lots of Sunday slow stitching happening at Kathy's Quilts. Also linking with Elm Street Quilts-thanks for encouraging our goal making, Patty.
Please have a look at these linky parties as well-What a Hoot Quilts where Lynette is working on Sarah's Down the Rabbit Hole,  Small Quilts and Doll Quilts where you can see lovely civil war reproduction small quilts which are so popular, Cooking Up Quilts where Beth always has lovely FMQ to show, and Sew Can She where Caroline will show you the cutest Aloha mini quilt.



No comments :