Sunday 18 March 2018

Hunger and Snow are Related

I know for certain now that weather triggers my hunger.

  The idea of food for comfort is a real thing for me.
 Our snowiest day last week saw me getting out the bread machine and making a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread, making a batch of those brownies with coconut topping and putting a casserole of sliced potatoes, carrots, onions and pork chops in the oven.  I haven't spent all morning in the kitchen in a while, but looking out at the snowy scene framed in every window, it seemed to be the right thing to do.



And I found part of a bag of apples in the cold room (what the former owners called the wine cellar but is really just a large lined closet that does house our two or three bottles of merlot but mostly  fresh food overflow) and decided apple chutney was a good idea to serve with the pork chops.

These photos above are all through my windows; oh, except the one with Rex. I stepped out front to view the shovelling I would need to do and he, of course, went with me. He sat down and I thought he looked like he was thinking what I was thinking- oh dear, just when we thought the worst of winter was done...

But it's all good.  I'm happy enough to have the strength to shovel and the appetite to eat. And the interest in this stitching hobby of mine.  Which, btw, finds me finishing the hand stitching on Block 6 of Allie's Garden of Contentment  today.

My "Design" Wall

Have you heard about this stitch along?
Gay at Sentimental Stitches has begun her wonderful BOM called Dear Daughter.

                            Image result for dear daughter quilt

The first four blocks are available for free till May 1. If you like antique style quilts, you should take a peek at this one from the 1850's. Though I definitely won't be beginning this now, I've downloaded the blocks as the quilt interests me greatly.  I've also joined the facebook group to follow the stitching which I'm sure will be marvelous.

So I said hunger and snow are related. It made me think that what if I lived in Africa with not a flake in sight, would I be content to live on a few grapes a day like Karen Blixen, author of Out of Africa, supposedly did?  I wonder. lol

Also happy to link up with Kathy's Quilts. As well as Normandy LifeSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts,  Em's Scrapbag,  Free Motion By the River and What a Hoot Quilts.














No comments :