Sunday 20 May 2018

Scrappy Lilies Free Pattern, Kathleen Tracy SAL, Violets, Bowties

The Wedding

I had been subscribed to the CBC Royal Fascinator, the online blog covering everything about the Royal Wedding leading up to the day.  The night before I had a sleepover at Daughter's and got to watch the main event the next morning on her big tv that has cable. It was very, very early for us but I didn't care. It was fun to see what everyone was wearing and the bride's dress in particular and to hear all the commentary.  I figured it would probably be the last of the major Royal weddings in my time (a thought which kind of gave me pause).
Anyway, here is a link to the best fascinators of the wedding if you like to look at such.

This Week in Stitching

I fnished the Block 5 details of the Kathleen Tracy Mystery Friendship Quilt.  As I mentioned this project is a great chance to practice accuracy.  And I know this will sound kind of bad, but I do take heart when I hear some others have abandoned this row of tiny blocks in favour of adding one long strip.They find it too fiddly for a variety of reasons.  But of course, many others have turned out perfectly matched seams in every one of these borders.


This month's instructions meant making lots of tiny bowtie/ hourglass blocks, something I'd never made before but enjoyed doing which was the easy bit.  Getting it all to match up with the previous border was the tricky part but thankfully, it did not have to do that everywhere.

 Of course, it was about then I thought of abandoning this version and trying a new one from scratch or taking this all apart and starting over but no, I think I'll soldier onwards.  I'll wait and see what the next block entails at least.


Here's a great chance to use up scraps- it really doesn't get much better than this.  

While exploring one day, I came across The Lily Challenge at a lovely blog called Het Klossie, another of those wonderful Dutch hand work/quilting sites.  This little (less than 5 inch square) flower type pattern really appealed to me and I thought I would try a few to see if I could work out the design properly.  Here is what I've made so far.


The pattern is a free PDF download and there is a Facebook group sharing their efforts.  I made one with EPP but the others are machine stitched.  I've set up two more for EPP hand stitching and alternate this with my embroidery for my tv sewing.  A pleasant diversion really from the more challenging projects and I'm going to stick with the cheery reds.

Love Love Love Planting Stuff 

I mentioned little grandson helped me plant a lot of seeds when he came over for that visit.  They were placed in front of the big window in the garage which has proven to be a great location because a lot of sprouting has since occurred.  I'm still recycling composted soil from the old place which I'm convinced has super powers.
So gardening for 2018 is in full swing.


I also raked most of the flower beds this week getting rid of all the debris from my Ugly Gardening project.  That was certainly successful with finches and juncos enjoying the old stalks all winter long. Will definitely do the same thing next winter.

I limit myself to one hour at a time in the garden...this old body is just too achy if I do it for longer and I figure it is not a race.

This little wildflower has cropped up in the front flower beds and I've left them there.  After a little research through my flower books, I think it is another member of the wild violet family, the Sweet White Violet and no matter its name, it is very sweet.


On this pretty note I'll end the post.  Hope your day has something sweet in it too.

There are also lots of pretty things to see over at the slow stitching link up at Kathy's Quilts.
Also linking with Em's ScrapbagCooking Up QuiltsSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts, Quilting is More Fun than Housework, Free Motion By the RiverCrazy Mom QuiltsSew Can She and Bambi's Show and Tell.


No comments :