Sunday 6 May 2018

Lemon Pie and Resurrecting an Old Project

How wonderful to see the earth renew itself- literally rise from the ashes as it were.


And pussy willows- aren't they so sweet; all us kitten lovers love The Legend of the Pussy Willows, how they got their name. Growing up these soft opening buds were a true sign of spring and I remember trees being laden with tons of them.  I don't see them in those numbers any more.


This reminded me of a springtime pattern from Crab Apple Hill Studio that I thought had pussy willows in it. It doesn't but is so pretty and of the season.

                                 Image result for nesting time embroidery pattern

I felt like making a more summery dessert to celebrate true spring here in our little corner of Ontario.  Lemon meringue pie sprang to my mind.

I blame the near disastrous overbrowning of the meringue on Murphy!  Underfoot all the while I'm in the kitchen and distracting me.


Yes when I'm at the counter, this is her favourite location.  It's dangerous! But nothing gets between a Black Lab and food!



I make my own pastry but I cheated with the filling and used this.

                                          Image result for dr oetker lemon pie filling

 I found it too sweet but for the record, Hubby loved it and thought it very lemony.



I was sorting a couple of totes and came across two hand projects that had been practice pieces for applique and embroidery.  I remembered why I put this away...though I liked the flower arrangement okay, something is off in the proportions with the vase. However, I decided it could be useful as a little table mat.  Got it hand quilted with large loops drawn with my Frixon pen and courtesy of that template that came with a magazine.

I used a photo in an old magazine to draw this and I'm sorry I don't know whose work it is.



 I happily bound it only to then think it needed more quilting lines. I will sit and finish this today perhaps even on the veranda depending on the temperature.

Lovely slow stitching over at Kathy's Quilts to check out. Also linking with Quilting is More Fun Than Housework, Free Motion By the River, Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, In the Quilting Room With Mel, Esther's Quilt Blog and Koka Quilts.








No comments :