Thursday 31 May 2018

Icebergs, Bandanas on Dogs,and Quilts

Since we are both lifelong dog lovers (and cat lovers too, but not quite the same), we have a lot of dog paraphernalia around the house. We love this plaster dalmatian, a reminder of the three Hubby has had in his life.  The last one, Lacie, was also my pet for the last three years of her 17 total.


She lived all her days from puppyhood onward at the old place- the farm, and is buried there.  I wrote this short post about saying Goodbye to Lacie, the Dalmatian.  I am so thankful for pets and the pleasure they give us.  Not a day goes by without me getting to pet fur, which is a wonderful thing.


My Sewing Box offers the kit to make very cute bandanas for dogs; I'm thinking cats and guinea pigs would not wear neckerchiefs-am I right?  Our old fellas are past the dressing up part.  But I think these are very cute (as well as that sweet spaniel).


Dog Bandana Project Box

It's Iceberg season at home in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada!
 Imagine looking out your bedroom window to this!  This photo is actually from last year as it takes a while for the icebergs to make their way to the more southern part of the island.  I remember how surreal it is to have a hot summer day in Bonavista with one of these giant 10000 year old ice bergs floating mere feet away (and cooling any breeze off them too).  Here is an article about the phenomenon of icebergs in Newfoundland.



Several of these Brown Thrashers have been visiting the side garden mostly clinging to the tree line though.  They are omnivores and very shy -all photos I've taken of them are from a distance. I was happy with this photo of one who ventured near the garage while I hid on the veranda.  I love their foxy red and that very stern bright yellow eye.
It was quite literally thrashing about in those leaves- looking for bugs I think. Perhaps that is why it got its name?.


Which being me reminded me of this...have you ever heard of a 10% rule for using the colour yellow in a quilt? I've read this several times and wondered where it originated.  An old wives tale kind of thing maybe.

I've been using this book, The Complete Guide to Machine Quilting by Joanie  Zeier Poole to aid with my FMQ practicing.  Available at Amazon Here.


As mentioned already, I've been trying this for 15 minutes a day.  This is my second time taking Joanie's book from the library and it's a great book; the problem is me.  Just when I think I'm doing okay, I sew an awful line.
Hubby says perhaps I need to practice for more than 15 minutes.  But perhaps there are people who can not learn this skill and I'm one of them.  I wonder.

I'm feeling the pressure as the number of projects I have waiting to be quilted is mounting (but not nearly as many as Barb in Tucson who has 35!!).
Like getting this one, the Indigo Snowballs, almost to that point.  But very pleased with the overall look of it so far.



Thoughts anyone?  I'm now thinking another row of the dark blue would be more striking than a border of cream.  And though I like the good rectangle size I have going on, I would like it wider which I should have thought of back at the snowball stage.  Or even with those piano keys. Would it look funny to have wider borders on the sides than the top and bottom for the next round??


Note to self: give more thought to final layout next time!

I have other sewing news as The Grasshopper has begun! But my editor (Hubby) will say this post is too long so next time about that.

But one last but by no means least thing to mention on a thankful Thursday.  Hubby had his annual cystoscopy Tuesday and was all clear again...marking just over ten years cancer free!

So happy to link with Not Afraid of Color,  Crazy Mom QuiltsBrian's Home BlogSew Fresh QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than Housework, and Quilt Fabrication. Thanks all for hosting.








No comments :