Thursday 24 May 2018

What I Did Mother's Day 2018

I've been asked what did I do on Mother's Day. At my request I got to do some of my favourite things.
I'm a thrift store shopper and I like nothing better than a good dig. I hadn't done it in a while so was very eager to go.  Like any treasure hunt, gold dig, etc., patience gets rewarded in those endeavors sometimes.

A couple of my finds

A set of these coasters, machine stitched but pretty just the same.  I use coasters everywhere.


A  Coldwater Creek quilted vest for me in a gorgeous shade of teal green (not photographing well in this picture at all). I saw one just like it on Tradesy for over $55US so at $6.99 with a tag attached, I was so pleased. 


Here is what the shade of green actually looks like. Older Daughter said I should live in this colour  and now that I'm older, I seem to be not as afraid of colour (like LeeAnna ☺).
Image result for coldwater creek green vest

Fabric in a huge yardage for $3.99.  Backing maybe?


This necklace.  The hammered silver had started to tarnish which may have been why it was donated but with a little silver cleaner, it was sparkly again.  Since I've turned white/grey, I seem to be liking silver jewelry more and more.  It was $1.99.


As son in law tells me, it is only a bargain if you are happy with it and I figure for my $15 I sure was.
It was busy there at that particular Value Village so I know I'm not the only bargain hunter.

Got to go to the Garden Center

We went to our local family owned and operated garden center. I've never been there before what with growing things from seeds and supplementing with Costco or Walmart plants. Which is a shame that such places give those older operations so much competition.

They had a beautiful store at this center and I spied these on special.
Non Floppy Flip Flops
My southern holiday taught me that a pair of footwear like this for the beach,etc. is not a bad idea.  I've given up wearing any flip flops because they are not firm and sure footed enough for me.  However, I tried these out and they remain sort of attached to your foot in an odd kind of way- not floppy.
Also in teal.


Of course, the green houses were almost overwhelming in the array of growing things but one thing caught my eye...A Trailing Geranium- of all the geraniums I've grown over the years, I've never had a trailing one so I'm happy to give it a try.
This is just a stock photo; mine is a small 6 inch pot size right now and I'll show you when I get it repotted properly.  But I have high hopes for it.

Image result for trailing geranium

We also got to have a late lunch at Milestones where I ate their California Eggs Benedict ( with shrimp) and Parmasen baked potatoes...all good.

 But the best part of Mother's Day 2018 was spending a great day with younger daughter who is very busy with her career and mothering the littler grandson. Like we always say about such days, we should do them more often.

Back on the home front. The stitching is moving along monthly on my Angie's Pots; this is Block 5 with its freezer paper templates ready to be stitched down.  I will get this done later today.



But first, the sun is shining and it's out into the garden for me.
 I'm using the three big planters from last year to refill for the front veranda.  So far I have geraniums, creeping ivy, petunias and a mixture of plants I kept alive all winter.  I'm waiting for more heat to move the poinsettia outside.

Happily linking with Big #90 I Like Post with LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color. Also linking with
Esther's Quilt BlogWhat a Hoot Quilts, My Quilt Infatuation and Quilt Fabrication-can you believe Susan you are at #125 of  Midweek Makers!



No comments :