Friday 18 March 2022

Irish Fame, Shopping, Cakes, Cross Stitch, Special Moments

Of note this week...

A little bit of Irish- I spent a lot of time with William's wonderful words in younger days and also off and on throughout my life. A key 20th century poet and Nobel Prize winner and Irish as well.  I especially love his phrasing. 


You may have seen this popular quote below sometime. I remember writing it in my diary when I was not old and gray, both of which I now am. 


When you are old and gray and full of sleep, and nodding by the fire, take down this book and slowly read, and dream of the soft look your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep.

Now for the mundane...

Researched and ordered...a new bread machine. Fixed a couple of times by hubby,  the old one finally gave up the ghost. The new one is a larger Cuisinart with over six thousand good reviews so must be okay. Looking forward to getting it. 

Ordered also this Cobble Hill jigsaw puzzle...Dog Quotes; a fun puzzle to greet spring.

There is a matching amusing Cat Quotes one too...A link is here

Sandra at MMM Quilts just listed the most gorgeous quilted bag in her Etsy Shop. Made with some vintage fabrics, it is simply stunning. 

Meanwhile my own stitchy flower garden continues to grow...

Mornings are definitely my favourite time to lay a few cross stitches and think how lucky to be retired! 

Daughter tried her hand at another flan this month.  This one is served with a blueberry compote. It is light and delicious. Here is the link to Blueberry Sour Cream Flan at Rock Recipes.  No flour in this one.
I watched this beautiful video from Sandra at Cherry Heart blog; it is part of her restful Moments series. This one features pretty crochet and also very pretty quilting. Partway through this video you can see her latest EPP project which I love very much ( I must have mentioned this before).  
It is a BOM called Flower Garden from Alice Caroline. What a lovely site with many things to admire there. However, Liberty Fabrics are SO expensive especially to get them delivered to here. I am sure there are many suitable substitutes that are available and would be just as pretty though.

I'm in the process of clearing items from this computer. I had a cache of over a hundred quilting/stitching/arts blogs/sites in my onenote and am reviewing each.  I've been surprised and saddened by how many are no longer maintained. Some with a final farewell but many just stopped without a word. That makes me wonder what happened. Life I guess, the fabric of which are inescapable ups and downs.

Sunshine and warm temperatures yesterday; the snow is taking quite a cutting, as we used to say at home. I had to forgo the heavy coat and mitts for my walks. The air, while cool, felt wonderful. 

 I hope you are all feeling wonderful too!

Also lovely things to see at Not Afraid of Color.  And joining the slow stitching group at Kathy's Quilts.






22 comments :

Jackie's Stitches said...

I love what you're stitching on! Very season appropriate as spring is here! Or at least it is for us in Florida.

My blogroll is full of inactive bloggers too but thankfully I use a feeder and don't have to worry about editing that. What is nice is that I HAVE seen quite a few bloggers start posting again! It's not 3 days a week like days of the past but there are posts. I stepped away from my blog after the death of both of my parents but trying to get back to it. Need to take photos!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

That flan looks wonderful and the recipe is so easy. I too wonder at times what happened to people that stopped blogging. Some consider blogging work and decided they didn't have time or that it was too hard. I guess I look at it differently and consider it more an exchange of "how my day went" "how was yours" type of thing more - just sit down and chat and exchange photos. A couple bloggers that I used to read died and a family member had access to the blog and gave an update and closed it, another ones husband had a stroke and she said she no longer felt like blogging and a couple others just quit and went to Instagram where they just post a photo now and then but it is totally different platform and very impersonal I think

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

The flan looks good, I don't think I have ever had flan. But the little pitcher in the picture just made my heart smile, it is so sweet and pretty. Your stitching looks awesome, and the puzzle looks like fun. Yeah I was thinking about the people who used to blog that quit over the past few years.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

The dog puzzle looks amazing - I'm sure it will be fun to do. And that flan looks delicious. I could certainly relieve you of a piece or two!
Yesterday the temps were lovely but today it's been dull and trying to rain here. At least it's better than the dreaded white stuff!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

A new bread machine sounds like a treat, Jocelyn! I know you'll astound us with your delicious baking! A fun puzzle, too - the best things in life are furry - so true. I love Sandra's tote bag, too - it's tempting to get her pattern. Walks in the sun and warming temps are so welcome after a long winter, aren't they?!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That puzzle looks like a challenge and that bag really is very pretty!

Libby in TN said...

We are slowly easing into Spring. I suspect, for the most part, Winter is behind us. I really want to get out to finish prepping the garden. Your stitchery is beautiful.

PaintedThread said...

Your cross stitch looks lovely. Wow - so does that flan!

We had a warm day, too! Went for a nice long walk.

Jackie said...

I have to go through my blog list and cross stitch lists soon as well. I am so saddened by the fact that many do not post anymore.

Love your cross stitch project.

God bless.

gladiquilts said...

Just back from vacation and catching up on my blog reading this morning - always enjoy yours! Your projects are all looking good. We have no snow on the ground and it was 70 degrees yesterday - I wonder if spring will be early this year? I suspect sudden health issues have ended some blogs, but I’ve found that many bloggers I used to read have switched to Instagram instead and I follow them there. It would, however, be nice if they announced that on the blog and put a link for readers to get there. Have a lovely weekend!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely blog you have here
The flan does look scrumptious. The no flour will be nice to try.
Old blogs, I've noticed the same drop offs on blogs I read, too many just stop without explanation. A few either moved to Facebook, Instagram or their own website.

Yvonne said...

So many things in your blog I like, beautiful cross stitch, fun puzzle and the cutest bag….and not to mention that delicious looking flan! I love Spanish flan. I ate it a lot when I lived there.

I do wonder often too what happened to bloggers that just seemed to stop blogging at once…. I always hope it is for just a simple reason and not because there is something seriously wrong……

piecefulwendy said...

I so enjoy your posts; you add in a little bit of everything, and it's just fun to read! I hope your new bread machine works well, that flan looks delicious, and I'll bet Neddy would like to help with that puzzle!

Linda said...

Yay on the new bread machine, and that flan looks yummy. Your daughter is so talented. I have also encountered blogs that just "ended" with no word of explanation and feel sad when I cannot find any trace of those folks on Instagram or Facebook. Love your growing "stitchy flower garden". I have not heard the term "cutting" and find that fascinating! Enjoy your Sunday Jocelyn. :)

Ivani said...

The flan looks so yummy,Jocelyn I will check the receipe.
Your pretty flower garden cross stitch project is looking good.

Quilter Kathy said...

I really enjoyed that video - such warm fuzzies!
Enjoy being retired and enjoy your stitching today :)

Karrin Hurd said...

That flan looks delicious! Love your cross stitch and the quote. Glad you are getting a new bread machine!

QuiltGranma said...

I love to see what you have been up to and what you share. Willow Creek is up, with the warming temperatures, cleaning up the grasses that fill in and clog our view so much of the time. Yesterday hubby noticed a waterfall neither of us had seen before on our way home from town. Causes me to wonder if something fell in and (branch?) To cause this. Enjoy this next season of warmth!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your new header is so pretty. How wonderful to have a new bread machine; sounds like you got a nice one. The flan looks delicious. I have never tasted one. Have a wonderful week. Happy stitching.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

The flan looks delicious! I was just thinking of my bread machine. I haven't used it in awhile. I should use it soon. Love your dog puzzle! I like that tote bag. So pretty. Your cross stitch is lovely, as usual!

Deb A said...

That flan looks yummy! I remember a co-worker from the 90's who made me one since I had never heard of or tried it. It was amazing! So glad you got to enjoy a walk without the mittens on. Hope the new bread machine works great for you. We have one and it has been ages since I have used it. Maybe I'll try it out tomorrow.
Have a great week.

Sandra Walker said...

Such a lovely post. Thank you first of all for the shout-out and praise for my tote bag! I just love it. I may start using it; maybe another yoga student would buy it! Thank you too for the flan recipe; I will be adding it to my list of recipes. As for the 100+ blogs, etc, and so many defunct, I think people migrate over to Instagram as it's quicker, less writing. Our snow has been gone for a while here and Lake Erie is wide open as of last week, one week later than 2021. I always take photos, so it's interesting to note. Yes indeed on the beautiful air and sunshine!