Tuesday 22 March 2022

March Marvels

 Something I marvelled at...First I heard the ravens squawking and looked out the window. There were so many of them gathered in the trees at the back of the house, I was surprised.  All of them screeching. I ran to the door and went around the corner of the house in time to watch a barred owl flying by with all those ravens chasing it! An amazing sight. And no camera. 😞 But as corny as it is to say, I have the picture in my mind still.

Ravens mate for life and have the intelligence of a 6 year old child. I'm kind of fascinated by them. Here they scrounge around under the bird feeders early every morning. I used to worry because it made the small birds scatter, but then I saw they don't stay long. 

With temperatures warming, gardening is on my mind and I've decided to add this new plant to the garden.  It popped up on my facebook feed several times and I do love Coleus. This is Proven Winner Coleus Torchlight.
 Decades ago I had a huge one I kept hanging from the shower rod in the bathroom. For some reason it thrived in the bathroom and when I left there to go to the far north, I had to give it away.  Anyway, to do this week is to order the seeds. I have many areas here that could provide the sun and shade they require. 

Someone asked in the comments what was the white flowering plant in this picture.It is one of the white Kalanchoes. They come in a variety of colours and are easy to keep healthy during winter months. This one flowered off and on with little bunches of flowers often it seemed. 

Here it was in January.

And this month.
To do this week in the sewing room and it is also my March OMG so I must get at it... finish bordering the Wildflowers blocks; I have two sides done, now for the top and bottom. 
My book this week that I am listening to while early morning stitching is by Beth Powning. I read The Sea Captains Wife years ago and enjoyed it very much. Here is a description of the plot. 

And I won a prize!!  Marie at QuiltBee had a little commentator giveaway in February. I was thrilled to get this quilt pattern which is a pattern for foundation piecing a pineapple block. I've so admired many of your photos of pineapple block quilts. I'm thinking of  Marie's Pineapple Tidbits and also you Rosemary and you Karen with your pineapple quilt versions. 

And the Quilter's Design Book has a bounty of information for quilt making besides the diary section for recording quilts. Marie's post there shows photos of the different sections. A package of needles rounded out the gift.  Thank you, Marie.

On that happy note, I'll end this post. Also happy to link this post with Texas Quilt GalLove Laugh QuiltLife in the ScrapatchMy Quilt InfatuationFloral Passions and Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.




13 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hadn't seen the Quilters Design Book before it looks interesting. I don't have a lot of luck with houseplants as you do I wish I did they always look so pretty . I have so much shade that I have few spots to put indoor plants. I will look at the books you mention and have fun with your pineapple blocks!

Linda said...

Hi Jocelyn! Interesting about the ravens, I wonder how they differ from crows. We have tons of crows (at least I think they are crows) that frequent our shopping mall parking lots. They are always scavenging for food, like sacks of leftover fast food people dump. I worry about where they find water during the hot summers. One day I watched a man feeding them bread crumbs, so I guess I'm not the only one who worries about their well-being. ;) Your Wildflowers blocks are so lovely to look at. Congrats on that wonderful prize you won!
Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's so enjoyable to catch those birds in your yard like that, isn't it!? We've had the flickers pounding on our metal chimney top this morning - I guess that means it's Spring and they want to impress their mate. We laugh when we hear it! Your wildflowers and geese are going together beautifully, Jocelyn. Congratulations on the win, too!

Nancy J said...

Your wildflowers are so detailed. love the borders, hope this will be on display every day. Springtime for you, our mornings are SO dark lately.

Jenny said...

Ravens are certainly very clever birds, but the only ones I've seen are the ravens in the Tower of London, when we took a trip over to UK, they are very famous birds indeed. We dont have ravens here in New Zealand, but Mr Google just told me that me that we used to. Sadly they went extinct in the 1600s.
Your beautiful embroidered quilt in coming along well with the addition of the borders.

Brian's Home Blog said...

How cool about the ravens, we don't see any of them down this way at all. Your pretty flowers look ready for Spring!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well you know me, I love the crows and raven. I know a lot about them too and I am glad to have them live here too. OMGosh I love flowers and wish I could add them to the landscape. But really, I don't make the rules around here and lots of our animals roam the 150 acres at will so there is not much hope for the flowers. Alyssa plans a veggie garden. We'll see if she keeps he critters at bay. Love your stitched blocks. They are so pretty.
xx, Carol

PaintedThread said...

I've seen ravens chase a hawk before. But an owl! I like the Kalanchoes - I've never heard of those before. And your Wildflower blocks look terrific - such a nice border.

Karen said...

My daughter, who is Not a gardener, had her condo balcony full of coleus last summer. There is such a variety of colors. I might forgo flowers and choose them this summer. Our Ottawa Valley summers can be so humid so hopefully they will thrive.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - what an interesting story about the ravens chasing the owl. At least that seems like a fair fight. Here, I often see small birds heckling hawks, and wonder at their courage!

Angie said...

I'm fascinated by crows and ravens, but we don't have the latter here, so I just get to observe the crows. What a treat to have a flock of ravens AND a barred owl in one morning!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Congratulations on such a fun win! And you've reminded me once again that I want to find a kalanchoe to add to my plants.

riitta k said...

Hello Jocelyn,
Your wildflower quilt is very beautiful - so much work! Coleus plants are colorful and come with a big variety of shades and leaf patterns. My mother used to grow the, I might as well!