Tuesday 29 March 2022

All Time Best Thrift Store Find, Scrappy Table Runner, Crocheted Olympic Bouquets, The Beautiful Butterfly's Ball

 Time to share with you all (if I haven't done so already; my memory for past blog items is fuzzy) my very best bargain from a thrift store.  I was told the set had just been brought in from a farm house about to be sold. The sugar was still in the sugar bowl. This is Petit Point by Royal Albert, a pattern discontinued in 1997. 

 I paid $130 for the set and at the cash got a 10% reduction for spending over a hundred dollars there.  I examined the pieces well, checked the backstamps, etc. because it all seemed too good to be true. But to my untrained eye, it looks to be genuinely Royal Albert. 
There are 20 dinner plates and I imagine this was to accommodate large family dinners which is a nice thought. Both my mother and mother in law had Petit Point for their good dish set so I know what these pieces cost. And of course, they are the perfect dish pattern for a cross stitcher too! 

I finished my scrappy table runner- one nights' stitching to sew around the binding, and am pleased with it.  The extra hand quilting is so enjoyable on a small, manageable piece like this. I washed it to remove the washable marker lines and dried it in the dryer. I really like the crinkly kind of feeling hand quilting gives a piece.

And you can see I received my Cobble Hill Dogs jigsaw puzzle and have a little start made. I like to photograph items on this table right in front of the patio door window-brightest light in the room there. 

I saw this article and was intrigued...Hand Crocheted Bouquets at the Beijing Olympics.  Over 1200 hand crocheted bouquets were handed out to the athletes and dignitaries at the 2022 Olympics in Beijing. 

Lucy at Attic 24 has shared a number of tutorials on how to crochet flowers to create wreaths. That link will take you to her post about flower motifs to stitch a Japanese Flower scarf. And here is a book on Amazon that is close to what she could not share for copyright reasons. 


Japanese Crochet Motifs, Volume 4  The scarves are really beautiful. (BTW, Yuletide is finished and put away for the season. I'll show a photo next fall.) 

I enjoyed this documentary about Eleanor Roosevelt while cross stitching on Sunday.

 I love all the First Ladies and I always felt Eleanor to be special. It is wonderful when people use their fame and fortune for the good of others. 
To do this week 
Continue my outdoor fitness...with the trails clearing, I can jog more safely on them. This always makes me feel better physically and mentally...nothing of an exercise nature comes close. Someone asked...yes I'm still enjoying using my Cubii very much. 

Shopping Around

Since Neddy chewed my old house summer sandals which I loved, I must look at ordering a new pair.  They were Crocs, but since so many of you mentioned Keens when I was boot shopping, I'm going to check them out. 

I've been exploring the patterns of Susan Smith, the Australian quilter and designer. Her quilts have been used in movies and her online site is Patchwork on Stonleigh. She has several wonderful new patterns like this one...The Butterfly's Ball. Do you like it?

I remembered I still have the patterns to make Susan's famous Stonefields; yikes!

Garden shopping. I have a tendency to procrastinate and things sell out really fast here and are not replenished...stores move right on to the next seasonal event. So I mustn't let that happen this spring. Does that happen where you live?

Lastly and highest on my TO DO list...Get my OMG for March, the Hazel's Summer Wildflowers hanging, finished. Thank you all so much for answering/commenting on the question I posed in my last post.. It was very helpful to me as I have no stitching friends here to bounce things off. I have worked out a compromise which I'm hoping will be done and ready to share in my next post just in time.

I hope your week is not off to a wintry start like ours. I hope you are all safe and satisfied with your life this last Tuesday morning of March, 2022.

Linking with Texas Quilt Gal and the others joining the TO DO party Linda is hosting. Also linking with Life in the Scrapatch and Inquiring Quilter.

 



24 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a unique pattern on that china! pretty. I have a set belonged to my grandmother but I never use it. I always admired Eleanor Roosevelt my great aunt met her in the Pacific during WWII where my great aunt Laura was working with the Red Cross she was a female pilot for a small fleet of airplanes that hopped from one little island to another ferrying supplies to troops in areas where there was no fighting and she had her photo taken with the first lady on one of her tours that she did for her husband the president. (one of the few places in the Pacific that they allowed females to fly)

Linda said...

Jocelyn Petit Point is gorgeous, and you did indeed get a very satisfying bargain! Your scrappy runner is very pretty. The Butterfly's Ball is a beautiful pattern. I wish I could still jog, I was in such good shape while I was. But I was also in my 30s - lol!
Thank you for linking to To Do Tuesday!

Juliana said...

I really enjoyed your post today, and there was the added bonus of the story by Karen in your comments.

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
I really like your new dishes...they are so pretty, I've always wanted a set of the blue dinner ware. But have never seen a whole set anywhere. Your scrappy table runner is very pretty, as are the crochet flowers, I haven't tried those before. I really like that Butterly's Ball quilt, so pretty. I may have to do some shopping at Amazon. Our garden centers stay open clear up to fall. Which reminds me, I need to make a list of plants I want to plant this year. Hope you have an awesome stitching Tuesday.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a beautiful set of China, Jocelyn! What a find! I love how your scrappy tablerunner turned out, too - that type of project is just my favorite. Enjoy the puzzle and your outdoor time. I'm ready for more of that, too!

Jenn Jilks said...

That was a lovely find! My mom had a lot of Royal Albert.
You do excellent work.
I really enjoy seeing your projects!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

What pretty china. The quilt from the Australian Quilter is lovely. I can see why it would be enticing to make. Yeah we are back to cold and a winter storm coming in. Sigh.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've always rather liked that dish pattern but certainly don't need any more dishes to add to my already over-full cabinet. I inherited a set of trillium Royal Albert from my mother (most of which I bought for her over the years) and had it stuffed in the cupboard until about a year ago when I started shopping for some new dishes and realized I had some perfectly nice ones in storage. Now we eat off the 'fine china'.
Must have been a huge undertaking to crochet all those bouquets for the Olympics, but what a great idea. A keepsake for sure.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Love the china pattern, very cool indeed. Yes, the The Butterfly's Ball is beautiful.

Libby in TN said...

I don't think I've ever seen that china pattern, but how perfect for you! and a steal, too!

Janice said...

What a great find! I haven’t seen that pattern before. My Best Buy was a Royal Doulton violets tea set for $5! I asked if that was per piece, but no, the lot. I saw one identical in pour local antique shop the other day for $400. I love Stoneleigh patterns, but know I wouldn’t finish one, so will just admire the quilts and those who complete them from afar.

Jackie said...

What a lovely set of china. So unique. A very good deal as well.

God bless.

Andrea H. said...

What an awesome score on the china! I love that pattern, but I already have the Old Country Roses pattern and don’t need anymore! I already had wedding china when I started collecting OCR! Enjoy. The quilt is beautiful!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

It's a beautiful china set--so the question is, will you use it and enjoy it or just look at it? I ask because I finally brought out my mom's great aunt's set of china because well...it was just sitting in boxes. They're full of hairline cracks (and it's by no means a full set anymore) but it does make them kind of charming. It occurred to me that, like fabric, they should be used and enjoyed so I got them out. But I can't really see just hubs and I eating on them? LOL. Maybe Sunday dinner? Maybe when the kids are here for Easter?
I love Butterfly's Ball--a work of art!

piecefulwendy said...

That's a pretty find at the thrift store, for a nice price, too! Glad you are able to get out on your trails and enjoy your surroundings. We have ice today, so I'm staying in. That is a pretty quilt design, too!

Fauntie said...

Love that set. American quilter Grace McCance Snyder made a quilt in this pattern. She was a prolific quilter and sent a picture to the company that produced that china and they in return sent her a whole set! I read her book many years ago and wish that I still had it. I believe that she was from Nebraska. Here is a link to some of the quilts that she made. https://www.internationalquiltmuseum.org/exhibition/grace-snyder-life-extraordinary-stitches

Elaine S. said...

Many years ago I worked for a company that imported Royal Albert Petit Point dishes in Canada. You got an absolute bargain! It is a lovely pattern and you look to have gotten many different pieces. Enjoy!

Robin said...

That is a great set of dishes, so dainty and feminine. I read Eleanor Roosevelt' autobiography a number of years ago. She was quite a woman.
I love Susan Smith's work. I bought one of her books but have yet to get started. I like her color sense and the whimsical simplicity of her designs. Although once you really study the quilts. . . they aren't simple.

Jenny said...

Such a wo derful bargain you got with that lovely dinner set. I'm sure there would be plenty of tales to tell about its life, if only it could talk.
No wintry weather here, this week has been lovely and warm, beautiful Autumn days. Usually by Easter we will start to feel the cooler temps.

audrey said...

Yes, I love the Susan Smith quilt top! Wowsers, she does good work! And your thrift shop find is just fabulous. I love bargains like that. Makes it extra special to use when you know you didn't have to toss the budget to obtain them!

K Reeves said...

Your China is the most amazing fine, congratulations! That quilt is quite amazing, lots of EPP too!

PaintedThread said...

The china is pretty! Those crocheted bouquets are neat.

cityquilter grace said...

gorgeous china...have to avoid the thrift as the temptation too great to pick up beauties on the cheap...

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Those dishes are lovely and perfect for a cross stitcher. What a remarkable find. Your scrappy table runner is pretty and those crochet flowers! Wow! Thanks for sharing everything on Wednesday Wait Loss.