Tuesday 15 March 2022

Wildflower Embroideries, Scrappy Confetti Quilt, Indoor Gardening, Neddy News

Mother Nature is wearing winter white still here in our corner of the globe.  But with a promise of plus side temperatures later this week, the snow won't take too long to melt. (Says she hopefully)

But the inside Garden is growing well and surviving the long winter.  I use the little water spritzer bottle and keep them well misted which I think helps with the dry indoors climate. Note the little white Polka Dot plant is doing well with the pinching back...so far.
The Hazel's Summer Wildflowers quilt is at this stage.  It's been easy and enjoyable machine stitching to put together a few rows of flying geese for the borders. I don't want this to get much bigger.  TO Do this week will be to get those flying geese all made. 
I subscribe to Rachel Hauser's Stitched in Color site.  I had bookmarked a project of hers, a new way to stitch scraps into quilts involving foundation piecing patterns. She called the result a Confetti Quilt. Last year Rachel ran a sew along stitching this quilt. 

 I purchased the digital patterns because any way to manage/use up scraps is a good thing. I'm experimenting and will let you know soon how that goes.  So far I've been sorting fabrics and cutting small piles. I've figured out that this is a good little project for when I've finished my stitching in the evening but still have tv viewing time on my hands. Basically, my eyes have had it but the hands are still up for it. This week I'll keep these steps going any time I have a few spare moments. 

We made a semi emergency visit to our vet with Neddy on Monday.  Inflamed eyes and a belly rash. The office is about an hour's drive from us; there are loads of vets closer but Dr. Sue Martin has been Hubby's vet for almost 30 years. She is so kind and has one of those very soft, gentle voices that sounds like she's whispering. Hubby, being deaf even with hearing aids, doesn't hear half of what she says. We now have drops for his eyes and must bathe his belly. She figured he had gotten the marks from all the running through the brush he does. But we got to pick up his flea/tick and heartworm medicine so that was a great thing to cross off our spring to do list.
He is quite well thankfully and we received lots of praise for his manners and sweet personality.
Hubby on the phone and Ned thinking he should be talking to him. :) He's getting a tad too big to be a lap dog. 
I hope you are having a productive week as well and taking good care of you and yours.  



28 comments :

Jenny said...

Poir Neddy, hope his sore eyes and itchy belly are healing up fast. Yes, he is rather big for a lap dog. Those embroidered blocks look so pretty.

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
I love your inside garden...so pretty and green I really like the white and green flower at the bottom of the picture. I also like your Summer Wildflower quilt. I'll have to do some research into this quilt. Thanks for the link to the Confetti Quilt..I'll be checking this one out later. Glad to hear Neddy is feeling better. Have a great day!

Nancy J said...

Neddy, take care out there , and maybe you need a settee of your own. Roll on your warmer days. Beautiful stitchery, and the borders, my eyes would struggle with the matching points now, maybe after today I get an appt. for the second cataract surgery Fingers XXXed.

Ivani said...

OWO Jocelyn, your Hazel's Summer Wildflowers stitched blocks are gorgeous. What a gorgeous quilt you will make with them. Love, love, love.
I am sorting my scraps by size too, It will be nice to see what you will make next.
Have a great week.

Linda said...

Oh Neddy is so sweet! I hope our black lab puppy is half as sweet when he gets older. Did you or your husband do most of the training?
Those flying geese are perfect for your Wildflowers quilt! I'm eager to see how you do your Confetti quilt.
Thanks for linking up with To Do Tuesday!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Aww, sweet little Neddy is growing up. I hope his belly is healing nicely and the drops have helped his eyes. Gosh, that is a LOT of snow but your indoor plants are doing fabulously. What is the plant with the little white flowers?? Nice job on cutting up your scraps so nice and neatly. Good luck with your list for this week. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your flower quilt will be spectacular it is very pretty as is the inside garden. So sorry Neddy went through a bad time and hope he will feel better now. When do you usually see the last of your snow? it is back to the 60s here and looks like we will end out the month in the 60's so nice but cloudy and of course off and on rainy days

cityquilter grace said...

ooh that confetti quilt is beautiful! pattern is pricey tho...still i am tempted..

Jenn Jilks said...

Wasn't that another fun storm?! The end is in sight, however.
I'm glad you got Ned fixed up!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Such pretty quilts! Ned looks a bit confused!!!

Jackie said...

Hope Neddy feels better soon.

Love the embroidery on the Wildflowers quilt. The flying geese set them off beautifully.

God bless.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I am on a quest to get a polka dot plant - but it's proving to be elusive here. One place to get plants here (sometimes) is Canadian Tire so I checked when I was there and narry a plant to be had of any kind. Sigh. My plants are all looking so leggy and quite awful so it's time for a few new ones I think.
Normally I'm not a huge fan of the more modern quilt designs but I do like that colourful one you're contemplating. It would be a delight to make in fun kid fabrics - more or less an Eye Spy version. Hmmm....
Sorry about Neddy having to go to the dr....but glad it wasn't anything serious. And are you ever too big to be a lap dog??

piecefulwendy said...

Those little flowers look so healthy and happy with you (they'd be dead if they were with me, or Wilbs would be eating them). Neddy has grown! I'm giggling over your comment about your husband's hearing because it sounds like me - hearing aids only help so much. It can be both frustrating and a blessing, depending on the situation! Hope Neddy is better soon.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - we have had spring and winter on alternating days - and today, it was alternating DURING the day! I love the squares on your Hazel Summer Wildflower quilt - gorgeous embroidery!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Feel better Neddy! He looks so adorable with your husband! I love your Wildflower Quilt!!! It's going to be GORGEOUS!!! Great idea for the scrap quilt, love the pattern! Wishing you a happy and blessed St. Paddy's Day!

MissPat said...

It's two days past your post, so I'm guessing your snow may be almost gone. We're getting up to near 70 today, but rain tomorrow. Hazel's Summer Wildflowers is very dainty and pretty. Hope Neddy is on the mend now.
Pat

Brian's Home Blog said...

I hope your sweet Ned is feeling better. Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I am so bad about commenting after reading. Neddy is getting to be a big boy. Love your Hazel's Summer Wildflowers it is going to be gorgeous. Your polka dot plant is looking good. Mine is chugging along too after a serious pinch back.

Jane said...

Jocelyn, the embroidery blocks are absolutely beautiful and the flying geese will be perfect with them.
Jane

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Glad Neddy is on the mend and all your projects look wonderful!

Rose Marie said...

That embroidery project is sweet and glad to hear that Neddy is on the mend. It is so nice to see something in bloom during our long winter months.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Summer Wildflowers is gorgeous!
and Neddy.... I think you just need a bigger lap - that is so funny!!! He sees nothing wrong with sitting there ;-)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful embroidered blocks, and your flying geese will be perfect with them. Have fun with the Confetti quilt, I saw some of them last year, and it looks like a great scrap buster. Hope Neddy is getting better.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up ;)

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Poor Neddy!!! Glad he will be doing better. Love the indoor garden. But most of all I really love your wildflower quilt blocks. Have a great week. Hugs

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Poor Ned! I'm glad he is on the mend. We too have a lap dog that is too large for our lap; but, she manages to make herself at home there anyway! Your Hazel's blocks are beautiful. My grandmother's name was Hazel and she liked all kinds of crafting. She would have liked this pattern!

JanineMarie said...

Have fun with your Confetti quilt! Good idea to use the paper patterns to identify your cut scraps.

For the love of geese said...

Oh my goodness, I love Hazel's Summer Wildflowers. Just beautiful and of course I love your flying geese. Thank you so much for linking up to Put your foot down. Our babies are never too big to be lap dogs.

K Reeves said...

Oh poor Neddy! I hope he is back to his old self now. The wild flowers quilt looks amazing, Jocelyn, it is going to be such a beautiful quilt.I know you are anxious for spring to arrive with all that snow. We have had such a dry winter, we would welcome a warm weather dump of 2 feet of snow or just some days with just rain.