Thursday 3 March 2022

Peace and Plenty Here at the Wooden House

We both talked about the sun today as sunny a sun as we have ever seen. It surged brightly behind the curtains before I opened them and blinded us on the morning walk with its clarity and brightness. I kept shielding my eyes wishing my sunglasses were not back at the house. The weather for days before had been gloomy with wind, freezing rain, and yet more snow. Maybe we were prejudiced because of this. Whatever. Sun illuminating all corners of the house is wonderful and spurring notions of spring- at least for this one day.
While the view outside remains decidedly winter.
We went to Costco on Monday and had a great look round; no trouble filling a cart. I was disappointed in the clothes- mostly swimming suits and the need for that is a ways off here for sure. Hubby was happy as we replenished his Moose Tracks Ice Cream supply. I was happy as I bought one of those supper kits; ours was the tacos one. Sure enough I found an article by Brian, a high school teacher who loves food, on how to prepare it HERE. Brian's photo too. It was tasty.
 I almost broke down and started another project just to soothe myself, the news in the world being what it is lately. But I've held strong. I received a little bundle of lovely fabric in the mail so I must content myself with petting this for now. I'm very slowly building a Tilda supply for a special project.  Mauves are a little new to me but so pretty.
The book, Country Quilts For Friends, was in the bargain bin at the local drug store. It caught my eye because of the name Anne Sutton on it. Anne is the designer behind Bunny Hill Designs, a wonderful site to explore and shop. I've purchased her fabric and patterns before. I like how she combines piecing, applique and also sometimes, embroidery, in her quilts. 
Anne's latest fabric line is called Prairie Days and is the prettiest blues with a bold red and whites. 
Meanwhile I've layered up the scrappy Fans quilt and used a little spray fabric glue to hold the layers in place which really helped a lot. I keep forgetting I have this stuff and it is very helpful. 
These fabrics are so pretty to me. I love seeing them up close. (And the sides are really straight; why they photograph with a curve is a mystery to me.)
I quilted around each to fix them in place. I began a little embroidery stitch, abbreviated turkey stitch, around each block. I'm using the same red, white and blue variegated thread as I used for the strings. 
I plan to set up the borders today. 
I've almost finished my Cobble Hill Winter puzzle, The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady version. 
Each bird and plant is labelled which is fun and an aid to getting it together too. 

Frederique has updated the list of ongoing BOM's, etc. here on her blog, Quilting, Patchwork, Applique. I got distracted by one...the Grandmother's Flower Garden, EPP quilt, and think I may join that one by downloading the patterns for now. I've admired the hexie quilts so many of you have made and keep saying I want to make one. 
 I have this image of me sewing little hexagons sitting on my veranda next summer. Sigh 




 




35 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is sunny here today too - only one clump of ice left that is sitting in deep shade - after 2 days of 70's! maybe it will be melted tomorrow. Your meal kit looks lovely - we do not have membership to Costco but to Sam's we just now this year have a Costco but have not looked at it yet - both are 70 miles at least from us so don't go often. I hate it when the stores are selling the summer clothes way before I need them especially when I am still looking for winter gloves or whatever. Your fabric is beautiful

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
Almost all our snow has melted. Just a few spots left. Is mother nature teasing us or is Spring around the corner. I love your Fan Quilt...all those fans on blue and black backing makes them really
pop...thanks for sharing the link to Frederique's site...I saw several I would like check out. The Grandmother's Flower Garden looks very tempting, but don't know if I want to make all those hexies. Have an awesome day!

Out To Pasture said...

Your fan quilt is absolutely gorgeous, Jocelyn. A work of art! And I also admire your new masthead.

Libby in TN said...

That's a lovely bundle of mauve, a color I don't seem to have.

Jenny said...

I glad the sun is making itself known with its blinding illumination through your windows, although you do still seem to have quite a lot of snow outside. It's always nice to have new fabrics to fondle, and new ideas whizzing around our heads!

Shelley said...

❤your bundle of mauves! They instantly brought a long forgotten memory...That this colour was one of my grammies favourites. She made her clothes and I remember many blouses and housedresses in these style prints and colours. Where did you order your bundle from?

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I love Tilda fabrics. Your fans are gorgeous and love your stitching. I haven't been to Costco forever. Oh Moose tracks Ice Cream sounds yummy.

Radka said...

The Fans have lovely collection of fabrics. The snowy picture is very nice, but I don't think I would want it now, I am ready for spring! :-)
It is good that we can turn to something creative, to offset the feeling of dread - where is it going to end?

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Moose Tracks ice cream is a great find - lucky!! And your taco kit for dinner looks yummy to me. Your fan quilt is really coming closer and closer to a finish, isn't it? {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Blue sky, bright sun, and fresh snow is the best view of winter! Although, yes, sun glasses are needed! That taco meal looks yummy - I've seen those at Costco, but not purchased. I love your fans more every time I see them. What a fun idea to use that special stitch along the block seams!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your quilts are always so beautiful. Boy, the snow sure looks pretty in the bright sun. Oh my, our Dad likes that Moose Tracks too.

Jackie said...

It was pretty sunny here for most of the afternoon, but by 5 the snow that has been predicted started to arrive and the wind came up. We are to get about 27cm of snow through to tomorrow night. Glad to have projects to work on in a nice warm house.

Love those mauves.

God bless.

Kim said...

Your Fans quilt is gorgeous. Love the embroidery stitches skipping around each block. Your bundle of fabrics is filled with pretty pattern and colour.

grammajudyb said...

How on earth did I miss seeing your fan quilt previously? Oh my gosh it’s so pretty! We are far far from a Costco or a Sam’s! Bot meal kits look fun! And DH would love Moose Tracks ice cream! Well, to be honest, he just likes ice cream! Often just plain Vanilla Bean, chocolate syrup and a peanut butter cookie, makes him a happy camper’

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

We are supposed to have snow tomorrow, even at our 2500' elevation. Brother! I don't want no stinking snow. Your fan quilt is just lovely and nicely colorful. I have an on going hexie project. And now a crumb quilt. We just need to be busy.
xx, Carol

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

your fans are sew cute! and the tacos look yummy!

loulee said...

There is always plenty to keep you busy.
That bundle of Tilda fabrics is very pretty.

Nana said...

How lovely those fans are.

Nana

Susie H said...

Such beautiful fan blocks. The embroidery was the perfect accent. The puzzle looked like so much fun that I ordered the Spring version to my daughter. She likes puzzles and the little bits of bird/plant information seemed like something she would really enjoy. Have a great weekend.
(If this is the 2nd time I've commented on this post, I'm sorry. I thought I already had but, when I looked for it, I couldn't find where I had)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Costco is dangerous for me too - haha! The cart can fill quickly!
Your fans is amazing! LOVE that stitching around the blocks!!!

piecefulwendy said...

I just went to Costco for the first time the other day, with a friend. It was interesting to walk through. Those little fans are beautiful!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Spring is coming ;) Enjoying a sunny day, and flowers blooming is heaven! Your new purple bundle is very pretty, and this book sounds great. I love your fans, and the variegated thread looks beautiful.
Thank you for the link, and have fun making EPP hexies ;))
Thanks for sharing and linking up today!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That quilt is stunning, Jocelyn! I can totally see how you might get sucked in. Me? I'm not a fan of doing hand piecing so I'll just admire the pattern from here.

CathieJ said...

We've been stuck with cold, gloomy, windy days here. I would love to see some sun. That fabric bundle is pretty. I love your fan quilt. Enjoy your stitching!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your fans are beautiful, and those snow covered fir trees are magnificent! Glad you're enjoying some sunshine at least. As lovely as your wintry wonderland looks to a Southerner like me, I know you must be weary with winter by now and looking forward to Spring!

Quilter Kathy said...

I love your fan quilt... so many special details to enjoy!

Sarah said...

Im swooning over the Tilda bundle of fabric!! I've just started a new project using her fabrics. Those fans look really good and that puzzle looks really hard!!

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous projects, love the fans and the new fabrics! Hope you have a great week!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I haven't thought of Moose Tracks ice cream in years so yummy. Such a pretty bundle of fabrics and I adore your fan blocks. Have a wonderful week and happy quilting.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those fans are brilliant! Wow!

Janice said...

How nice to see the sun. Spring plants will be popping up next. I love the jigsaw. Edwardian Country Lady has such lovely artwork. You are very restrained in not starting any new projects. It’s a great incentive to finish your fans. They are so pretty. Your supper looks nice and tasty, and easy, which is always a bonus. I hope you do make the hexy quilt. Definitely something I won’t be joining you with.

Linda said...

I just love your fan quilt. That taco package looks amazing. I have not tried Moose Tracks but I googled it and YUM! Your Mauves are beautiful. I almost got online to buy fabrics to "soothe" myself too. I was going to order blues and yellows and make a special quilt. Well I looked at my stash and there are enough blues and yellows to make several quilts, so I said no to myself. :D

QuiltGranma said...

You have given me an inspiration of idea for what to do with the Asian fabrics I collected about 15 years ago! I really do need to start using them! Thanks!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I would be petting those new fabrics too - they're so pretty. Believe it or not I was in Fabricland this week and didn't buy a single piece of fabric and nor did I go so far as to fondle any. Yes, even I was astounded! I did, however, buy a new froggit tool after I broke mine a few weeks ago. Got some pretty ribbons too for a couple of projects I have in mind.
Mmmmm.....Moose Tracks ice cream! Even better is that their factory is not far from here so we sometimes make a little trip there for a cone.

RachelSwirl said...

Such cute crafts! Thanks for sharing and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.