Wednesday 22 March 2023

EPP Plus Quilt, Embroidery, Pizza, New Quilter Video, Barred Owl is Back

This is what is left of my geranium plant that was so beautiful last fall when I brought it inside. It is alive but spring can't come fast enough to revitalize this one. Truthfully, being on the floor, I kind of neglected it a little and am lucky that geraniums are a hardy plant. 

It seems like I've watched Jacques Pepin, the French chef, all my life. Decades ago while living in Labrador, I would catch his show on PBS on Saturday afternoons, and loved it. I follow his ChefJacquesPepin Facebook page and recently Jacques shared how to make a fast baked potato, one of my favourite things to eat.  I thought it perfect to try with a fancy thin crust pizza I made and had to have the oven already heated for. Hubby's side gets the pepperoni pieces, mine the veggies. 
Here is Jacques explaining what he does. 

More good birding news...a female Barred Owl is back in the U.S. central Indiana nesting box, has prepped it for the season and has begun laying eggs. The debate each year is if it is the same owl. I thought this one looked smaller and didn't fill the box like last year's so a different owl. Now they are saying it just may be a different one and a new mother to boot as she laid the first egg and left it unattended overnight while temperatures were below freezing. That egg will probably not be viable but she has since laid another that she is tending.  Last year I enjoyed watching the two little owlets hatch and grow and fledge safely. Fingers crossed it will be another successful year. The Live feed can be found on YouTube again this year.
 Hand stitching is always pleasurable for me as you know by now. I never tire of it and look forward to my peaceful time when I can pick up whatever the current project is and lay a few stitches. Since the dogs have been here, I've not gotten into my sewing room but I've been happily hand stitching in front of the t.v. at night when all are settled down.  I finished another of the Snow Days blocks. This is appearing as black threads but are dark brown in reality.
And joined more of the Plus pieces. I also prepped a bunch more for stitching so I will continue on with this EPP project this week. 
And a new to me quilter popped up in my feed that I want to share with you- MerryMabelMarket. She moves quickly and concisely through whatever aspect of a project she is presenting. I watched her sewing blocks out of strings and was a little mesmerized, in a good way, with how proficiently she sewed them.  Then on her home page I found and watched this video on how to incorporate an embroidered panel into a quilt. Great stuff.
So my week is going well; the birds are singing early morning despite the freezing temperatures.  The dogs are keeping me on my feet and my ball throwing arm is getting a good workout. I am so grateful to be able to do all these things. Hope you all are also having a good week. 





19 comments :

The Cozy Quilter said...

The robins are back here. And most of the snow has melted. Spring is starting! Your embroidery is lovely.

Jeanna said...

I feel confident your geranium will be fine when the weather warms. It's leaves look very hardy and a nice green color. Your embroidery is so pretty and I look forward to seeing those Plus pieces turn into lovely blocks. Thanks for sharing the link to MerryMabelMarket. I'll check her out.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like the EPP and got the pattern now but I don't know when I will start it.

Nancy J said...

Have you seen " Alone, Season 9" which is in Labrador, by Big River ? 10 people try to stay the longest and survive on their skills, build a shelter, house, or home as some call it, hunt for food, and keep a fire lit for warmth? Fascinating. We are ion the way to winter down here, morn ing temperatures are getting colder by the day, still in double digits for us, but light snow has been seen on Mt Egmont, to the west of us, several hours drive.My beautiful silk scarf is keeping my neck warm.I had a hearing test a while ago and the lady told me she has a friend in the UK I think, and they share cross stitching together.Your header is beautiful.

Sharon said...

I enjoy your blog so much and look forward to reading it. Where did you get the embroidery patterns for Snow Day? I just love them. Have a great day!

Brian's Home Blog said...

The pizza sure looks good! The owls are so interesting. We have one out back, I've not seen in but I can hear it at night when I go out to pick up the feral food bowls. I love that snow scene, so cute!

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - I like the Barred Owl video. I may have to start following that. I also like your Snow Days block and the plusses.

Carol Andrews said...

Jocelyn your post once again is filled with happy things that I really enjoy reading about. I'm pretty sure your geranium will survive. I keep thinking spring will eventually arrive here in our lovely country. It's probably 3 weeks behind here in my part of BC. I have to check out the Chef. I'm always looking for new recipes. Thank you for sharing the link to the owl's YouTube. It's always fun to watch them. Snow Days is progressing beautifully and I love your Plus pieces. Hope you are enjoying your week and the dogs aren't allowing you to overdo it. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday.

Carol Andrews said...

What a lovely post this week Jocelyn. I always look forward to reading yours. the owl is cute. Thanks for sharing the link. I need to check out the chef. Love your Snowy Days embroidery and the Plus pieces. It's fun to watch your progress. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Sounds like a busy week with the dogs! Love your snow days embroidery!!! It's wonderful! I enjoyed watching the Merry Mabel video, am actually working right now on a strip piecing project. Wishing you all a warmer and happy weekend!

Jenn Jilks said...

I sure enjoy your handiwork! Just beautiful.

Deb A said...

I used to love watching him on PBS! Good to know he is FB - I'll have to search for him. Glad the arm is getting a workout throwing the ball for the dogs. They sure are keeping you in shape =).

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Loved the embroidery video!!!! How cool is this Lady! Hugs

Linda said...

Yum on the pizza and baked tater. Your Plus pieces are pretty. Glad you can still throw a ball, my husband tells me I throw like a girl, lol! Have a great rest of the week Jocelyn!

Angela said...

Your snowy day block is charming!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Seeing your geranium reminded me of my mother who always over-wintered several of them. She insisted that they would need pruning on Sunday mornings when I was trying to eat my breakfast right beside her favourite pruning spot (the dining room table). To this day I hate the smell of geraniums. Love the flowers, the scent not so much!
I would love to watch the owl video but I know what will happen - I will spend hours sucked down that rabbit (owl?) hole. I used to watch the videos of the bald eagle nest and I would sit there just hoping the bird would show up.

Anonymous said...

I love the Snow Days blocks! Can you tell me where to find them.Than you

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I am familiar with hexies as an EPP shape, but don't think I have seen pluses before. So many possibilities. I also love a baked potato, but often forgo them because of the time they take. Now that I know to start cooking them in the microwave and then move to a hot oven, they just might appear more regularly in our home. I grew up going to school in Cambridge, Massachusetts home to Jacques good friend, Julia Childs. Who can resist her line, "Only you are in the kitchen" whenever things don't go as expected.

Carolyn said...

I watched the baked potato video—thanks for sharing it. When I have more time, I will look up MerryMabelMarket. Enjoy your week!