Wednesday 1 March 2023

Carrot Cake Cheesecake, Projects Updates, A Show to Watch

 Picture me that cloudy end of February morning gathering sticks on land that most of the year is a foot under water. A cardinal was singing its song in the background. This is usually the only time of year I can walk through there and the pickings are good. I  could see where some animal had clawed bark off quite a few of the trees. Porcupine perhaps. Ned trotted from tree to tree with me then patiently sat and waited while I filled the bag. So full I had a hard slog getting him and it back to the house. But yet invigorating too with the fresh air and exercise. 

 I usually have my small camera with me and took this photo in a little forest I came across. An interesting glowing colour, quite striking in the midst of greys and white. What colour would you call this?  Reminds me of autumn which my friends in the southern hemisphere are experiencing. I just looked it up... Eastern Redcedar which tends to "bronze", as the writer termed it, in winter. 

We've eaten an extraordinary cake from Daughter, a Carrot Cake Cheesecake, since I last wrote you.
Sounds like too much of a good thing and yes it was and so delicious.

 Recipe here at Rock Recipes where Barry calls it a genius combination.

We are thoroughly enjoying this show, 1883, found on Paramount +. Always enjoy Sam Elliot but it is Isobel May that is stealing the show with her performance as a coming of age young woman. I'm enjoying her "voice over" remarks very much. These pioneer wagon train series remind us of how treacherous the journey was for those brave souls making it and also for those equally brave souls already inhabiting the land. 

 I don't usually set stitching goals because I have a firm track record of not keeping them. However, I am happy with how Wheels is moving forward these days with a little attention. Perhaps I'll keep that momentum going this week. 
That and stitching one more diamond for the Lone Star Medallion. Linking up with Carol at Quilt Schmilt for the To Do Tuesday party helps keep me mindful.
Corey Yoder at Coriander Quilts is launching her Sunny Patches BOM 2023 on March 18. I wonder if this would work out to be a good way to use up scraps. 
I also want to share with those of you who embroider the work of Alice Makabe. Pretty kits of her designs are available from The French Needle and also other sites. This brief video gives you an idea of Alice's work.
So much to enjoy and dream about. Hope that is how you are feeling this first day of a brand new month. 



24 comments :

Jenn Jilks said...

I love this, "I don't usually set stitching goals because I have a firm track record of not keeping them." I find that in daily life!
My get up and go got up and went!

Quilting Babcia said...

That cheesecake certainly looks like a fabulous indulgence! Your wheels and diamonds are coming along beautifully. We don't subscribe to Paramount+ but that looks like an interesting series. Maybe our biggest snowstorm of the season heading this way for Friday into Saturday. Thus far, we've only had a few one-inch snowfalls all winter. Looking forward to spring and daffodils blooming.

Libby in TN said...

We have cedars around here that have "bronzed" and I have attributed it to the Christmas Freeze, but perhaps I've just never noticed them in winter before. I love your ever-changing headers.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

There are just too many project possibilities out there and it's hard to decide on just a few to work on.
Carrot Cake Cheesecake - oh my. I'll happily quit my diet for just one piece!!!

Jocelyn said...

Wow, That carrot cake cheesecake looks so delicious. I will have to give it a try.

Miaismine said...

Your needlepoint header is lovely! Beautiful fall and winter photo! That Carrot Cake Cheesecake looks delicious! Your Wheels blocks are lovely! I love that scrappy look! Don’t you just love EPP? Your diamonds are so pretty! Love those fabric choices! Happy Stitching to you!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have a recipe for carrot cake cheesecake and loved it!! Carrot cake is one of my favorite cakes.
When you get done with 1883 try 1923 - continuation of the family saga, I'm watching it now

Brian's Home Blog said...

That golden tree sure is pretty glowing. I'm pretty sure I could eat that entire carrot cake cheesecake!

Nanette Chopin Cook said...

Beautiful picture of the Aspen colored tree! I miss cheese cake….1883 was an excellent Series. All actors were wonderful. You wheels look great! Thee lone star is really coming along.

Jenny said...

Your beautiful bronze tree just glows with colour, such a wonderful sight. Yes, the clock has ticked over to Autumn here in this part of the world. I could hardly believe it when it was announced on TV Weather that Summer is over! Luckily the start ofvAurumn is generally warming and calm.
That's a delightful cake your daughter made for you, it looks delicious!

Lorraine said...

I love the color of those trees and seeing the progress on your wheels and diamonds. That carrot cheesecake looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Jennifer said...

I love your tree....the colour is beautiful!

Helen said...

The Eastern Red Cedar is so beautiful it almost doesn't seem real.
Pretty snow. The daffodils in my backyard have proclaimed that winter has ended where I live. (We'll see...)

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh that autumn color of the trees is lovely! What a wonderful post, I can almost hear the cardinals (our main birds right now are crows or ravens, not sure which). Love the progress on your wheels and the lone star! Thanks as always for the free patterns and inspiration! Hugs!

Laura said...

Love that Eastern Red Cedar! The bronze is beautiful!
I don't normally set deadlines either, but then again, I don't seem to accomplish a whole lot without them. Ha! Ha!
I've got a very big sweet tooth, so I will definitely be checking out that cheesecake! :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That cedar is a fascinating color! Interesting to know that is a normal way for it to look. Oh that cheesecake looks yummy! Glad you're continuing on with your wheels and that beautiful lone star. Both look like enjoyable projects!

LA Paylor said...

your daughter makes the best cakes! Ned is a good companion. Surprised he didn't pick up a few sticks too, just to help... I was surprised to see a new header photo, very pretty work.
LeeAnna

Karrin Hurd said...

That cheesecake looks amazingly delicious! I loved 1883. I hope they come out with another season. I am watching 1923 now, the same family. It is good too. It has Helen Miren in it and Harrison Ford.

Jeanna said...

Your walk sounds delightful and you found a pretty tree. I love your dresden blocks, or Wheels, rather. The cake looks too pretty to eat. I was tempted by Corey Yoder's quilt along but I have four going now...and I'm only current on two of those!

Carol Andrews said...

Jocelyn thank you for such a great post filled with inspiration and beautiful photos. Your bronzed trees are beautiful. I love seeing the progress on Wheels and your Lonestar. I, too enjoyed 1893. I binge watched it while hand stitching and enjoyed it so much. Anything with Sam Elliot is a winner in my book. Your Carrot cake cheesecake looked so wonderful I'm going to look up the recipe and make it for my Guild fundraiser next month I think. Thank you for sharing so many treasures and for linking with To Do Tuesday.

maggie fellow said...

great progress

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

lots of wonderful happenings around your parts...quilty and otherwise!

Linda said...

OK that cheesecake looks ridiculously good. Your daughter is so talented! I need to adopt your stitching goals attitude - I disappoint myself constantly, and really, I am the only one who is disappointed! My husband reminded me the other day (when I was down on myself for not finishing the SAHRR) that no one was keeping track of my progress and that I had "all the time in the world" to do whatever I like.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Sounds like a great week - that photo of the Fall colored trees is amazing!!!