Tuesday 7 March 2023

Snowmen, Panama Pyramids, EPP Plus Quilt Pattern Link, Indoor Gardening

We did get lots of snow on Saturday.  

Hubby always gets busy plowing as soon as the wind and snow stops.
And Sunday, just like that, the sun shone and things began to melt. It shows that we really are moving towards spring. The snow was just right for snowman making, an elderly one that needed a stick to help him apparently. Robbie is 9 now; time is definitely moving faster for me. Just look how the snow is reflecting that gorgeous shade of blue.
My indoor garden is doing well considering how little sunlight we get in the house. We don't get to see sunrise or sunset with the positioning of this house. So never direct sunshine in a window, just sometimes on a slant. It's good though that all the windows are quite large.
I also haven't given them any fertilizer. However, I do add a few secret ingredients to their water. To water them (which I never overdo), I've used ash water from the fires, left over coffee water, and leftover water that veggies have been boiled in. These are things I read about using years ago and do seem to benefit a winter garden. I also spritz them regularly with one of those spray bottles. 
Bet you can't guess what that lighter vine in the middle is. It's a pumpkin vine. I tried growing pumpkins back at the farm and all I ever achieved was a pretty vine. Last fall I put a few seeds in a jar to grow over the winter knowing I would enjoy the pretty leaves. And here they are and I do. Such a pretty shade of green. While my outside garden is under mounds of snow, it's enjoyable to coax these contrasting greens  to grow. A small thing, I know. 

 Another small but enjoyable thing is seeing these Panama Pyramids-finally- all in their rows. I had in mind this would be a good RSC project several years ago when it got started. I'm not great at keeping up with it but since there are many green blocks here, I'll share this at the  So Scrappy March Green RSC Linky Party. EPP triangle stitching and now machine stitching the rows together.
My to do list this week includes getting these rows sewn together and hopefully have a flimsy on my hands. Joining the To Do party at Quilt Schmilt this week.

Something I'm eyeing that would be my next EPP project. I watch Kate at The Last Lonely House on YouTube and she started a Plus quilt. Of course I loved it. 


She links to Wild Olive and Mollie's offer of a free template to make the little beach house like pattern that fit together to form a plus. Wild Olive So I just wanted you to know I'm exploring this one to continue my small o obsession with EPP. :D
Another thing I came across that I liked and wanted to share with you. Just in from Japan and available here at Stitched Modern. 100 Ladies Printed Fabric to embroider or colour.  What a neat idea!
Well, I've rambled long enough. Hope your week is off to a good start. 

30 comments :

Jenny said...

Still lots of snow in your part of the world. Of course that elderly snowman needs a stick to help him, what a thoughtful grandson to think of that. But the seasons are slowly changing, its Autumn here in New Zealand now and the mornings are darker.

loulee said...

Lovely to see your winter 'garden'.
Your pyramids are looking amazing, have fun sewing the rows together.

Jeanna said...

The snow is beautiful. Your grandson was very creative with his snowman.
Your pyramids quilt is so pretty. I look forward to seeing the rows together and into a flimsy.

Jackie said...

I was going to say potato vine, but then noticed while it is the same colour the leaves are shaped slightly different. Your indoor garden is gorgeous.

The quilt is coming along beautifully.

God bless.

Susie H said...

Love your Pyramids and I love sewing EPP too. What a pretty pumpkin vine!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the greens of your winter garden, Jocelyn! I'm very ready for some green around here. I never get much either from my pumpkin vines except lots of leaves. Those plus blocks are a neat design! And aren't those ladies fun, too? So many creative things to stitch out there!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

You're doing great with your indoor plants. I have one plant and it's doing good. That's unusual for me! I love the pyramid quilt. You got a lot of snow thus past weekend. Our snow is finally melting. I'm looking forward to Spring!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Now that's what I'd call a professional level winter! That snowman is sure a fun one. Your quilts are always so lovely, always!

Quilting Babcia said...

Your Panama Pyramids are looking wonderful! I love your alternate setting fabrics with all the yellow-gold-cheddar fabrics. Makes it a perfect summery quilt.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your Panama Pyramid rows - gorgeous! I was going to guess Sweet Potato vine and then read more that it was pumpkin it is very pretty Love your snow photos

Jennifer said...

Your plants are looks very healthy, Jocelyn!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Wow! That pyramid piece is just phenomenal! Loved seeing your plants and how well they do in your home. We have little sunlight too and it gives me hope! Hope the weekend is less snowy! I love those embroidered ladies! Have a great week! Hugs!

PaintedThread said...

The snow is pretty! Your indoor garden is reminding me I need to be planting seeds. The pyramids are coming along nicely.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Now I want to rush right out and buy some pumpkin seeds so I can try growing that vine too. It's such a beautiful shade of green. I never would have thought of planting them as a house plant.
Further on watering plants - I saw something recently about chopping up a banana peel and covering with water overnight. It's supposed to do wonders for plants but I never remember to try it when it's watering day.

Carol in Texas said...

Jocelyn, I always learn something new from your blog. Thank you for telling me about The Last Lonely House! How delightful! The snow pictures are gorgeous……we are having spring and the plum and peach trees are in full bloom. Spring passes too quickly here in central Texas….one day the trees are putting out tiny green buds and next day they are on the way to full leafing. I so wish it would linger!

Laura said...

Now that is a lot of beautiful snow! I actually have some sunshine here, and I am loving it! Everyday a bit more snow is gone, and soon I shall see the ground and some crocus and daffodils! I can hardly wait!
I love your pyramid project! That yellow (or is it a cheddar) is so wonderful! :)

Nancy J said...

Definitely cooler here, and already darker mornings for longer. The young man looks very smart there, still a lot of snow, I did hear there was a sprinkling in NZ this week in the far south, and frost on car windscreens that were left outdoors overnight.

Deb A said...

Those modern ladies look like a fun little stitchery! Those plusses will be a fun next project for you. The pyramids always make me smile when I see them. Hope you have a wonderful week.

Jenn Jilks said...

I like the ladies!
There is something about having plants indoors when weather isn't optimal outdoors!
Your header is lovely! You are so talented.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Oh my goodness, that embroidery project looks sooo cool! Oh, I LOVE to see all the snow pics! (we've had a sad tiny little bit of it over the last years). Good luck on your to-dos and enjoy that lovely snow for me!

Kim said...

It is indeed the little things that bring lots of joy to our lives. So many smiles brought on by sunshine on one's shoulders, petting a beloved cat, felicitously fondling fabric, the happy freshness of homegrown microgreens, the beauty of a seed catalog, a toddler's laughter...So, thanks for sharing the little things that are bringing you joy.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Wow, Jocelyn - all that snow!! That pic with the blue tint to the snow is beautiful and how sweet of your grandson to give the snowman a helping hand! Your EPP triangles are awesome! That is a lot of work but quite beautiful. The plus project will be interesting to follow along! Your indoor garden looks fantastic. The pumpkin vine is definitely a pretty green. Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings.

Angela said...

Love the snowman! I wish we would have got out and done that!

Linda said...

Robbie is such a handsome young man! Is he the son of the cake-talented daughter? Your indoor garden is just beautiful - love the pumpkin vine. It reminds me of a plant we buy every year called sweet potato vine. There are a couple varieties, but the one we like best is a pretty lime green. It spreads all over and provides a nice ground cover.

Chantal said...

We got snow too but no snowmen showed up. :^( Lol. You have a natural green thumb to get plants like that. Wow! Look at all those triangles!! Amazing! It will be a stunning quilt. Enjoy! ;^)

Carol Andrews said...

Jocelyn I really enjoyed reading your post and seeing that Panama Pyramids is almost a quilt top. I love the pretty fabric in this one and admire the PP project. How great is it that your snow is melting. As Im writing this it is snowing here again. At least you have your lovely indoor garden and sweet Robbie to do fun things and pick up your spirits. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday. Hope you are having a wonderful week with lots of fun fabric time.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your indoor garden is beautiful, I love this pretty and bright green pumpkin vine. The EPP Pluses are wonderful! And so is the 100 Ladies project, it looks like it's a lot of fun to stitch!
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

Helenchaffin said...

what a cool embroidery project,that's the cutest thing I've ever seen! Luv the yellow quilt

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a cheerful snowman, Jocelyn! I guessed sweet potato vine. My pumpkin always comes packed in a can. :P
Those stitching projects look like loads of fun! Are you jumping on both the EPP and the embroidery? I can see being tempted.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

You covered all angles on this post! Snowman moving the snow, good looking grandson, beautiful winter plants and I love the pumpkin leaves! And your Pyramid quilt is almost finished! I know I have a pattern in my stack to do someday, just still cleaning up the UFO getting ready for Quilt Shows. Hugs