Tuesday 28 March 2023

Three Special QAL's, Three Questions Answered

                                          

                                            It's Spring. Theoretically. 

From Sandra Boynton

So we have officially changed seasons but the weather is still a bit on the wintry side. Freezing rain and snow overnight Friday and into Saturday with about 5 cm of fresh snow on the ground. I got snowed/rained on with ice pellets while playing ball with Ned and it was a bit hard staying upright.All in all, a little like spring in the air but definitely winter underfoot.

I'm receiving this magazine after a three year break. Quiltmania is always inspiring and something I look forward to getting in the mail. Do you get any magazines in the mail these days?
I have access to hundreds of magazines for free through the library system but I just don't find it very satisfying to read them online for some reason. I've gotten used to ebooks so maybe I should try harder to like emagazines. 

I had a good weekend in the sewing room. Wheel Within a Wheel blocks got sewn together and into rows. Then I mislaid two rows which I was baffled and frustrated by. The space is not that large. Do you have sewing room mishaps such as this? They will turn up I know. 

And I cut and stitched a few more foundation pieced Tiny Trees. I can't seem to give up on this project as it and the stem three piece section use up scraps so nicely. I will sew another row of these together this week.
That's a corner of the Lone Star Medallion getting ready for a backing. Also something I want to have done this week. I'm happy to have it at this stage.

Three QAL's I Love
Sandra at MMM Quilts has announced her QAL this year called Rainbow Neighbourhood. |Like so many of you, I love house blocks and keep saying I want to sew some. I've purchased the pattern so we will see if I start this or leave it for later. It will be fun to follow along and see the neighbourhoods folks will create.

. Another stitch along I wanted to mention and that I like is being offered by the wonderful Temecula Quilt Co. Sheryl is calling this one Whirl. It is really neat looking...you'll have to go there to see for yourself how she is working out the very simple blocks- 9 patch blocks, into a novel design. Found Here. Sheryl is also generously offering a free pattern there called Egg Basket.
Most of you know Sheryl specializes in small, gorgeous quilts.

And Pen + Paper is running the lovely The Sparrows QAL that I would like to sew... of course!  However, it says it's for the Advanced Beginner Sewist which I don't think I am- definitely not on the machine. 
I've gotten a few questions that I thought I would take time to answer.
The header cross stitched picture is Strawberry Thief, a William Morris design. I have the book called The Art of William Morris in Cross Stitch that I used the pattern from.
The embroidery blocks I've shared lately are part of a large project called Snow Days from Crabapple Hill Studio. That link will take you to the Snow Days page.
No, our wooden house is not all heated by the wood stove. We have a propane furnace as well that cuts in early morning during the winter months. We also have AC but seldom use it as all the principal rooms have ceiling fans.  The wooden walls tend to retain heat in winter but also keep things cool in summer we've discovered since moving here- a good thing.

I'm running a doggy daycare this week which is keeping me on my toes. Daughter's two dogs, Abbey and Petey, are here during the daytimes to get exercised as daughter heals from her exercise injury. Ned is in his glee!
Hope your week is off to a great start!









21 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like Quilt Mania magazine but find it over priced. One year I tried it by mail copy and they totally messed up my order and sent me the French version for a whole year - never refunded my money and never sent me an issue in English - never responded to any of my inquiries about it. Another year I got the on line version - it was in English but I wasn't satisfied with reading it on line like you have found you don't like. I don't like magazines on line for some reason. I would like to try to order it by mail once again but I am afraid they would mess up the order again and I would be unhappy with them!! I do think they are the best quilt magazine around though - just too darn expensive when you consider how many pages are advertising.

Libby in TN said...

I'm debating about the Rainbow Neighborhood QAL. Like you, I will at least purchase the pattern.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love those sweet little sparrows. I won't be making it, but I love it.
Magazines - I love them in the paper format too and hard as I try to read them from the library online it just doesn't interest me. Books too - I want them in paper. I subscribe to HGTV magazine; Food Network magazine; a genealogy one; Our Canada; and just subscribed to Good Housekeeping. I would love to get Mary Jane's Farm but it's a tad too costly.

Jenny said...

I have Crab Apple Hill Autumn design currently hanging in our sitting room. Plus a Temecula design Tiny Trees also on display, however her designs are too tiny for me so I enlarged it. I've never got into ebooks, cant get away from a real book in my hands, it seems. Neddy will be sad when the doggy day care comes to an end.

Brian's Home Blog said...

We're always in awe of your talent and everything is always so pretty. Doggy daycare sounds like a fun time though!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm going to join in with Sandra's QAL, too - I've admired her houses ever since she started making them back in 2017! I'm sorry you've misplaced some of your wheel blocks - hope they turn up. The trees are looking wonderful! A hint of Spring would be nice, but we also keep getting snow. Even when it isn't snowing we seem to be stuck inthe 40s. 50s will feel wonderful when we get to them!

Jackie said...

So many quilt alongs happening now. Most are way beyond my capabilities but I love looking at them.

Yep winter just does not want to leave us.

God bless.

Lorraine said...

No more magazines here. And yes, I've lost things right in the middle of working on them. I should remember to walk away and come back at a later time rather than get frustrated. Hope your pieces show up. I love that sparrow quilt - out of my comfort zone, but oh so pretty. The houses look nice too.

Marti said...

Your header needlework is spectacular! I love the design and colors. I hope your missing pieces show up. I have lost a whole plastic case of finished hexagons. I don't know how I can lose a whole box of something.

Jenn Jilks said...

You do amazing work.
I still get Zoomer magazine, but I don't know how much longer. I used to love to sit and read them.

Susie H said...

Funny! My library system doesn't have emags but I just requested "The Art of William Morris in Cross Stitch"! Looking forward to browsing through it. Thanks for all the inspiration. Enjoy your embroidery and loads of dogs!

Linda said...

Hi Jocelyn! I used to receive different quilting magazines, but wow do they accumulate. And Goodwill won't take them as donations! So I picked out my favorites and they sit on a shelf in my closet. I am reluctant to give them up! I do like to look at American Patchwork and Quilting, and I used to love McCall's Quilting. Like you, I'd rather have a hard copy than an emagazine. I am a big fan of William Morris designs in fabric and did not know there was a cross stitch book available. I'm so happy for Ned! Hope your daughter feels better and heals quickly.

Jeanna said...

I used to subscribe to several magazines which I received by mail. I now enjoy reading a few online. You had a very productive weekend in the sewing room, looks like a lot of fun!

Carol Andrews said...

Jocelyn I really enjoy visiting your blog to see the progress you are making each week. Your little trees are so cute and I love being kept up to date on the QAL's you find. Sandra's is going to be a fun one. I did some testing with the pattern and am hoping to play along. I fell in love with William Morris fabric when I lived in Wells and did some projects with people doing research and making costumes. I love the embroidery patterns. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday. be careful with the iffy footing while doing your doggy day care. Hope your daughter feels better soon.

grammajudyb said...

Currently I don't subscribe to any magazines. Quilting or otherwise. I tend to hoard them is they are in my space! heehee! I, too, tried online magazines. Nope, I don't like them either. I pick up one occasionally the store. And I have friends who share. A win-win in my book.
I purchased Sandra's pattern for her QAL. I have made two other quilts from her patterns and find them very well written. Looking forward to Rainbow Neighbourhood!

Thanks for the answers to the questions. I love seeing your surroundings and am glad you have auxiliary heat. Bringing in firewood is a big job!

Carolyn said...

I no longer subscribe to any magazines; it was getting so I wasn't actually making any of the projects plus they kept going up in price. I still occasionally purchase a single magazine if there is a specific quilt I want to make. I looked at the sew-alongs, and I do like the whirl one and also the sparrow. I'm just not sure I want to take on any more commitments at this time though.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh yes, I know the anxiety of misplacing something in the sewing room. Did you ever find them? I love your tiny trees and would love to make one some day. Yours looks very autumn like and I love that it is seasonal! Sending hugs!

Michelle said...

I still get one magazine in the mail, but not sure how much longer that will last. So much can be found/enjoyed online these days, but I do love flipping through the pages. William Morris is a favorite of mine and I am thinking of incorporating a wallpaper print in a small bathroom. Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

I just love those tiny trees! I no longer get any quilting magazines by mail, but will occasionally pick up one in the store, if it looks interesting! I usually just make my own patterns with EQ8 which is a process I really enjoy! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I don't get any magazines in the mail anymore... I miss that!! Maybe I will have to find one!
Your tiny tress are so cute!!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I haven't gotten magazines at home in years but what fun to get mail that isn't a bill or an advertisement! Love all your projects--so varied and fun! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. We've missed you!